Genie Questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

MikeI

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 25, 2004
Girlfriend is finally getting DirecTV at her house and getting rid of cable one. 5 genie dvr receivers in the house coming Sat morning. Can each receiver tape 5 things at once on different channels if needed? Is there anyway and I can check this later at home but can you block each receiver from not seeing others recordings if needed? Like Disney shows from the parents receivers and only on kids dvr or HBO shows etc from the kids dvr's? Is that possible?

Girlfriend is finally getting DirecTV at her house and getting rid of cable one. 5 genie dvr receivers in the house coming Sat morning. Can each receiver tape 5 things at once on different channels if needed? Is there anyway and I can check this later at home but can you block each receiver from not seeing others recordings if needed? Like Disney shows from the parents receivers and only on kids dvr or HBO shows etc from the kids dvr's? Is that possible?
Most likely no. As I suspect you are getting 1 Genie and a bunch of tunerless Minis.

5 genie dvr receivers in the house coming Sat morning.

She is likely getting 1 genie and 4 genie minis, or clients, DTV will not allow more than one genie per account.

Can each receiver tape 5 things at once on different channels if needed?

No, if she is in fact getting a genie and 4 minis it is a shared 5 tuners meaning 5 total shows can record at a time. Also be aware that only 3 minis plus the genie can be on at a time.

Is there anyway and I can check this later at home but can you block each receiver from not seeing others recordings if needed? Like Disney shows from the parents receivers and only on kids dvr or HBO shows etc from the kids dvr's? Is that possible?

No, not with this particular type of setup. In order to do something like that you would need separate HD DVRs or HD receivers.

It is possible to get 1 genie and 4 HD DVRs but she would likely have to pay $199 per DVR. Difference between the genie and an HD DVR is the number of tuners. Genie has 5 (5 recordings at a time) HD DVR only has 2. The minis do not have a tuner at all, they use the genie tuners. Unless she wants to pay for a separate HD DVR or 2 my suggestion would be to change one of the minis to an HD receiver. I don't remember if the offer is $49 or $99 for this but it would allow all of the TVs to be on at once and when the HD receiver is on it would not take away from the 5 available tuners of the genie. You can still record and watch recordings from the HD receiver but when doing so it would record to the genie.

Clear as mud?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the fast replies. I haven't finished catching up on the forums. There will only be one account. 1 big genie and 4 minis. I have one of each at my house so Im familiar with some of the settings. OK. 5 things at once total. That should be good most of the time.
Can the dvr's be blocked to not see each others on one account? Do you need multiple accounts?

Thanks for the fast replies. I haven't finished catching up on the forums. There will only be one account. 1 big genie and 4 minis. I have one of each at my house so Im familiar with some of the settings. OK. 5 things at once total. That should be good most of the time.
Can the dvr's be blocked to not see each others on one account? Do you need multiple accounts?
Yes, individual HD DVRs can be separated from each other via a setting in the list on the viewing DVR or from the host DVR in the whole home settings.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

That's good to know about the 3 mini ones on at a time. I didn't know that with the big genie. Thanks

you can't block it so a different list shows at each mini, but you can setup parental controls so that the kids cannot watch anything above a certain rating. This can be done at each mini, so one kid can be TV-g and the next PG-13. If she goes with a genie and full dvrs then each can be set to not share its list to the others if desired.

Thanks. Parental controls will be needed. I have one each at my house but the kids aren't there as much. Thanks for the quick replies. 3 minis at once is great to know. 4 receivers will be on a lot here at once. Master downstairs and 4 minis coming upstairs with 3 of those on at once.

Yes, individual HD DVRs can be separated from each other via a setting in the list on the viewing DVR or from the host DVR in the whole home settings.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE
I'll have to play with mine tonight and test it for them to see if the minis can do that. Thanks. Installer comes Saturday morning.

you can't block it so a different list shows at each mini, but you can setup parental controls so that the kids cannot watch anything above a certain rating. This can be done at each mini, so one kid can be TV-g and the next PG-13. If she goes with a genie and full dvrs then each can be set to not share its list to the others if desired.
To clarify, you can't "separate" playlist with minis. Whatever is on the Genie will be on the mins, you can prevent the kids from watching content by using parental controls but there is no way to not see certain shows that are on the Genie playlist. Now if you were yo get individual DVRs, than this would be possible. Also since you noted that all 4 TVs will be on at once, that leaves you with ONE tuner to record in the background, you may want to re-think your set up and add some DVRs

Reactions: Jimbo
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)