Genie Upgrade..Installer No-Show

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
glad it appears you have got it worked out, and reading it seems someone caught what i was gonna suggest and that is to have you make sure you had the correct phone number on the account, with you being a cust so long and i have seen this countless times, were ppl still have a old landline phone number on the account from when landlines was a main means of contact bc then cell service was spotty in rural areas and now were cell service is fairly good most ppl have ditched the landline and never updated the phone number with dtv.

The installer showed up a couple hours late but it was no big deal since my wife was home. He did call and let us know he was running late, so no problem. I got there as he was putting the splitter on the dish pole out back, one wire into the top and then my other wires still buried and running to the house. He set us up with the HR44 receiver and genie client both with new remotes. He told us they would send us boxes for our HR23 and HR21.

I kept one HR21in the bedroom because I hook it up with a Slimline 3 dish when we use our camper. Just before he left he hooked up a connected home adapter DECA to the bedroom HR21, the green lights all came on so I guess he assumed it would work. Well I went in later to watch the basketball as the wife was having fun on the HR44. No signal to the HR21, reset it, it just goes to the searching for signal mode. I guess we should have checked out that it worked. That run of wiring is the longest stretch, probably 70 feet, but it worked fine before the SWM. I put my accutrac signal meter on it and only got a 39 for a high. I hate to call him back out here. Anyone with any ideas beyond replacing the coax?

Last edited:
The installer showed up a couple hours late but it was no big deal since my wife was home. He did call and let us know he was running late, so no problem. I got there as he was putting the splitter on the dish pole out back, one wire into the top and then my other wires still buried and running to the house. He set us up with the HR44 receiver and genie client both with new remotes. He told us they would send us boxes for our HR23 and HR21.

I kept one HR21in the bedroom because I hook it up with a Slimline 3 dish when we use our camper. Just before he left he hooked up a connected home adapter DECA to the bedroom HR21, the green lights all came on so I guess he assumed it would work. Well I went in later to watch the basketball as the wife was having fun on the HR44. No signal to the HR21, reset it, it just goes to the searching for signal mode. I guess we should have checked out that it worked. That run of wiring is the longest stretch, probably 70 feet, but it worked fine before the SWM. I put my accutrac signal meter on it and only got a 39 for a high. I hate to call him back out here. Anyone with any ideas beyond replacing the coax?

Rerun satellite set up. Sounds like he forgot to switch it from a slimline to a SWM signal. More than likely that's the problem, I don't think the accutrac meter will read a SWM signal (correct me if I'm wrong) which would be the reasoning behind the low signal strength on the meter

Yes that did the trick. Now when I take that HR21 with me in the camper I will need to switch it back to the Slimline 3. Sticky note going to where the coax comes out of the wall in the camper.

The accutrac was getting a signal but it was pulsating and not acting like anything I had seen when tuning in my spare dish. Thanks for the the help Hutch1814!

BTW the HR44 is pretty cool, compact and quiet, and the Genie gives a more streamlined look to the TV on the wall in the workout room. I just have to get used to the remote.

Yes that did the trick. Now when I take that HR21 with me in the camper I will need to switch it back to the Slimline 3. Sticky note going to where the coax comes out of the wall in the camper.

The accutrac was getting a signal but it was pulsating and not acting like anything I had seen when tuning in my spare dish. Thanks for the the help Hutch1814!

No problem, you'll need to grab your B-band converters for the camper still and make sure to switch the "switch type" to multi-switch as well when you repeat the setup in the RV

No problem, you'll need to grab your B-band converters for the camper still and make sure to switch the "switch type" to multi-switch as well when you repeat the setup in the RV

Hey Hutch,
I've had issues from time to time going from SWM set up to SL3, how do you recommend going freom one to the other ?
I know the SWM will find itself automatically, so whats the correct way, or trick to easily getting it to NOT read the SWM when you go back to the SL3 ?

Do you disconnect the SWM and then reboot it or what ?
I've never found a good reliable way of doing it other than playing with it.

Hey Hutch,
I've had issues from time to time going from SWM set up to SL3, how do you recommend going freom one to the other ?
I know the SWM will find itself automatically, so whats the correct way, or trick to easily getting it to NOT read the SWM when you go back to the SL3 ?

Do you disconnect the SWM and then reboot it or what ?
I've never found a good reliable way of doing it other than playing with it.

There is no easy way. I still find myself swapping R16's and older H,HRxx receivers because they won't switch back to slimline or find SWM sometimes. I just wait for it to start "searching for signal" then hit exit and rerun setup but sometimes it don't play nice. The day I find an easy 100% success rate ill let ya know ;)

There is no easy way. I still find myself swapping R16's and older H,HRxx receivers because they won't switch back to slimline or find SWM sometimes. I just wait for it to start "searching for signal" then hit exit and rerun setup but sometimes it don't play nice. The day I find an easy 100% success rate ill let ya know ;)

OK,
Just wondering if I was missing something when doing it or not.

Now I make a point of NOT swapping them around anymore.

The home set up is a SWM, but the Motor home set up is not.

I went a long time without a SWM set up because I didn't want to deal with it. :eek:

OK,
Just wondering if I was missing something when doing it or not.

Now I make a point of NOT swapping them around anymore.

The home set up is a SWM, but the Motor home set up is not.

I went a long time without a SWM set up because I didn't want to deal with it. :eek:

It really is pretty easy, you just got to go through the right steps. Hutch is much better with explaining than myself.

Going from a swm to a 4 wire whether or not it's a 3 lnb or 5 is just simply knowing your setup. Like you stated a swm will automatically detect, anything other requires user input. B bands are important for non swm setups, but for campers & rvs they can be done without in many cases if willing to sacrifice hd. Sometimes like Hutch has stated switching setups can be a pain. A simple reset fixes a lot of issues, also leaving the sat input wire detached while changing the setup then reattaching before continuing will help also. The bottom line is knowing what you got & how to proceed after the fact.

As far as the physical setup, for swm 1 wire to sat1 input, for legacy, two lines, with two bbcs

Software wise the change shouldnt be that bad with newer receivers.

Hook up box to line (remove bbc on swm)

Power on box, when you see searching for sat signal hit menu

Setup - system setup - satellite - repeat sat setup

And it should take you into the config screen

(I dont know the numbers but the basics are:)

Swm = swm3 or swm5 depending on your area and the box should automatically detect this setup, continue and your done

Legacy = slimline 3 or slimline5, multiswitch, continue.

Hutch feel free to add any steps i missed im not in front of a box right now

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts