Genie Upgrade

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

kschilling

Original poster
Feb 1, 2011
Nebraska
I just got off the phone with Directv and they agreed to provide me with the Genie for no additional cost. I currently have one H24 dvr and two H24 receivers with a whole home setup. I plan on moving my current dvr to my bedroom and send back one of the receivers. Directv is planning on just sending me the Genie via fedex. My question is it going to be as easy as unhooking my current boxes and moving things around or am I missing something? Thanks

I assume you have a SWM setup ( on the DVR is there just one coax cable going to the DVR?)
If so then yeah it should be just a swap out. When I got my Genie a year ago the tech unhooked my R22, hooked up Genie and was done

Looking at your current install, assuming you have a SWM LNBF you can only have 8 total tuners. Currently you are using 4 total tuners, 2 for your HR24, and one each for your H24.

I Suggest you keep the Hr24 DVR and get rid of one of your H24's

John

John thats what he says

I plan on moving my current dvr to my bedroom and send back one of the receivers.

I just got off the phone with Directv and they agreed to provide me with the Genie for no additional cost. I currently have one H24 dvr and two H24 receivers with a whole home setup. I plan on moving my current dvr to my bedroom and send back one of the receivers. Directv is planning on just sending me the Genie via fedex. My question is it going to be as easy as unhooking my current boxes and moving things around or am I missing something? Thanks

Really? My friend is getting his Genie upgrade free of charge save a paltry $21 install fee. I was going to do the install myself( his wishes) but the CSR said they could not ship direct. Had to be done by one of their guys.
I will get there before he does, tell him to drop off the equipment and have a nice day.

Really? My friend is getting his Genie upgrade free of charge save a paltry $21 install fee. I was going to do the install myself( his wishes) but the CSR said they could not ship direct. Had to be done by one of their guys.
I will get there before he does, tell him to drop off the equipment and have a nice day.

Yup, I was about to comment on the dropped shipped method. They still require a tech, why, I don't know. They'll still require a tech to install a 34. OP, you need to figure out what they're actually sending you, sounds like another HDDVR

I read about a Genie being shipped direct to the customer the other day. Maybe the policy has changed.

Thanks for the replies. Yes, there is just one coax cable coming out of my current drv. I was surprised that the rep didn't require an install. I asked specifically if they were going to send the genie to me directly. She said yes and once I have it hooked up to call to activate it and they would send me a box to send the old receiver back in.

When I upgrade to Genie sometime after the HR44 is available I plan on getting one from my local retailer friend and doing my own install with the only interaction with Direct will be to call in to activate.

When I upgrade to Genie sometime after the HR44 is available I plan on getting one from my local retailer friend and doing my own install with the only interaction with Direct will be to call in to activate.

HR 44? Care to elaborate? What will this one do? Dust, clean windows, drive the kids to school?

Any idea when will they start installing these HR44 for new customers?

I don't think anything has been released about when they will start installing them.

I currently have DirecTV premium package with one HR24 DVR and one H24 receiver with the SWM setup, whole home DVR. I have had DirecTV for nearly 8 years beginning in Dallas, Texas and moved it to Des Moines, Iowa 2 1/2 years ago. I called DirecTV this morning to see what I needed to do to upgrade to the Genie DVR system. The main reason is the increased number of tv shows that can be recorded at one time. It seems most of my favorite shows are on Sunday and Monday but I can't record all of them with my current HD DVR. I was told I could not upgrade for free because it is offered only to current customers who do not have a DVR or whole home on their system already. The one and only time i ever got an upgrade for free from DirecTV was when we moved our service and they upgraded our standard receiver to a HD one. They downloaded software for my H22-100 to "force" it into a HD receiver which proved disastrous as I lost HD channels like a waterfall over the next few days. They did in fact replace it with an HD DVR at that time. All other new receivers were replacements for defective equipment. But i keep hearing the same thing..you might wait a few months for an upgrade offer.

I asked about customers getting a free upgrade to the Genie DVR system and they told me that absolutely NO customer is getting a free upgrade if they already have a HD DVR or whole home DVR service. If i am reading this forum correctly, this is not correct information. Why do some customers continually get these free perks while others are not? I was offered to get a Genie for $299 and a client for $49 with a set up fee tacked onto that. Maybe the Dish Hopper is the answer for my television viewing dilemma.

Fedex dropped off the genie last night and I hooked it up this morning. Setup was easy; just had to swap it out with my current dvr. Thanks for everyone's comments and assistance.

did you download the newest software?
If not do a red button reboot and at the first screen press 0 2 4 6 8
That will download the newest software available

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts