Genie Upgrade

DonA

Original poster
Aug 30, 2020
3o560
DirecTV has told me that in about 6 months they will only provide HD service and all the non-HD service will cease to function.

I presently have as a system: DirecTV reverse band 5 UHD 4k SL5 SWM LNB, Direct Ka/Ku Slim line Dish, 2 each 600ft RG11, quad-shield, direct burial water tight, 1 cable in use, 1 cable spare, 8 way wide band satellite splitter SWM, DirecTV 29v SWM power inserter, Sonora LA281R signal to offset the cable DB loss, and a DirecTV Receiver model D10-100.

It works great, DirecTV wants to up grade me to a Gene system.

Question: Will the Gene work on a single LNB cable system as described above? If not what is required to use the Gene system?

Please advise, thank you

Donald P. Alexander

dalexand@earthlink.net

470-558-4639

something wrong here . The D10 won't work with swm.
But the genie will work fine with that setup.

Hummm ...

Yeah that's right ...

Hadn't seen a D10 in so long I'd forgotten ...

Wonder if the OP meant a "D12?" ....

And I'm also curious how the OP ended up with that elaborate HD capable installation only to connect a single SD receiver to it? ... ....

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Hummm ...

Yeah that's right ...

Hadn't seen a D10 in so long I'd forgotten ...

Wonder if the OP meant a "D12?" ....

And I'm also curious how the OP ended up with that elaborate HD capable installation only to connect a single SD receiver to it? ... ....

i wondered that also...

DirecTV has told me that in about 6 months they will only provide HD service and all the non-HD service will cease to function.

I presently have as a system: DirecTV reverse band 5 UHD 4k SL5 SWM LNB, Direct Ka/Ku Slim line Dish, 2 each 600ft RG11, quad-shield, direct burial water tight, 1 cable in use, 1 cable spare, 8 way wide band satellite splitter SWM, DirecTV 29v SWM power inserter, Sonora LA281R signal to offset the cable DB loss, and a DirecTV Receiver model D10-100.

It works great, DirecTV wants to up grade me to a Gene system.

Question: Will the Gene work on a single LNB cable system as described above? If not what is required to use the Gene system?

Please advise, thank you

Donald P. Alexander

dalexand@earthlink.net

470-558-4639

As others have pointed out, it isn't a D10 you have now, the D12 and R16 were the only SD equipment able to use SWM.

All HD receivers including the Genie support SWM and would work with your setup.

Curious: why are you using an 8 way splitter when you have only one receiver?

i wondered that also...
I yes, the D12100 SWM-1 , sorry for missing stating model. I had to move my dish 600 ft from my residence to get a clear sat signal. I found application notes on SonoraDesign.com how to go 250 ft, I needed to go 600ft, In the design I changed the cable from RG6 to RG11 calculated the DB, power loss at 600ft, selected a DB amp and power inserted to over come the losses. This and a fiber solution were the only solutions. The fiber was too expensive.

Thanks for your reply, great to hear that the Genie will work on my cabling solution.

If anyone needs to use my spreadsheet to solve a simular problem. Its free send email to dalexand@earthlink.net subject: Sat spreadsheet.

And there's that claim again about SD service from 101W ending soon ...

Though the claim DIRECTV made to the OP of the other recent thread on this was that only one of his SD model receivers would completely stop working if not replaced. And the others lose only local channels.

Go figure ....

I yes, the D12100 SWM-1 , sorry for missing stating model. I had to move my dish 600 ft from my residence to get a clear sat signal. I found application notes on SonoraDesign.com how to go 250 ft, I needed to go 600ft, In the design I changed the cable from RG6 to RG11 calculated the DB, power loss at 600ft, selected a DB amp and power inserted to over come the losses. This and a fiber solution were the only solutions. The fiber was too expensive.

Thanks for your reply, great to hear that the Genie will work on my cabling solution.

If anyone needs to use my spreadsheet to solve a simular problem. Its free send email to dalexand@earthlink.net subject: Sat spreadsheet.
But how did you come to go through the trouble of building a multiple receiver HD capable system with a remote located dish like that. Only to connect just a single SD receiver to it?

Though the claim DIRECTV made to the OP of the other recent thread on this was that only one of his SD model receivers would completely stop working if not replaced. And the others lose only local channels.

That claim was made to someone that August 25th one of his SD receivers would stop working. Maybe something they changed prevented non D1x receivers from working any longer, since he said they mentioned his pre-Directv model. Or maybe that was just part of a phased approach, get the non-Directv gear first then the D1x/R1x next?

We'll have to see if they keep up the pace on retiring 119 DMAs, and once those are all gone if they start retiring 101 DMAs at the same pace. They could shut down MPEG2 in six months if they keep it up.

I never was able to get a clear answer on how long those aviation/oil rig contracts last other than a vague feeling that they ended sometime in 2021, so a shutdown in six months wouldn't disagree with that. Or Tom Speer's plan of putting the contractually obligated channels on 119, if they can be squeezed into 11 transponders.

As others have pointed out, it isn't a D10 you have now, the D12 and R16 were the only SD equipment able to use SWM.

All HD receivers including the Genie support SWM and would work with your setup.

Curious: why are you using an 8 way splitter when you have only one receiver?
Yes,an 8 way splitter is just throwing signal away when you only have one receiver....

Go figure ....

And the fact that the Date the other person was given has passed ....
Has any one reported if they did or did not lose signal ?

Just a few I recall that posted about losing their local SD feeds on 119W as DIRECTV dropped some 70 spotbeam channels from there back on the 25th.

• Wow
Reactions: Jimbo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts