Genie ???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lenasmith

Original poster
Jun 20, 2011
We have a camper that we use on weekends and are considering getting the Genie. Our Direct is currently setup at home. Can anyone tell me if you can connect a Mini Genie at a different location just for viewing purposes. Not wanting to record or watch what had been recorded on the Genie at home?

?Thank you

I was going to :welcome you to Satelliteguys since this is your first post, but you have been a member for over two years!
Anyway, the mini Genie doesn't have a tuner, so no, it won't work as a stand alone unit.

The mini genie requires the main genie to operate. If you're using an RV with directv you need to get either a smaller HD receiver or a standard. I would recommend the standard, smaller dish and easier to peak in

Thank you for your replies. This site was very helpful when we needed help finding the satellite for our current system. We have currently have the HR24 and H21 and we are thinking about upgrading to the Genie. Would it be possible for us to use the HR24 at our camper and upgrade at home?

yes you could use either the HR24 or the H21 with the camper setup. But one note....if you upgrade to Genie they will upgrade you to a SWM setup (only one wire needed). If you have an older dish at the campsite that is not SWM it can be a pain to get the receiver to changeover to a non-SWM setup

(to know if you have SWM now on the HR24 if there is only one line connected then its SWM....2 lines is a non SWM)

We have a round satellite at our camper, would we still be able to get HD channels if we take HR 24 to camper or would we need the oval dish?

You need to have a Slimline dish. There are ways to jerry-rig a small dish like yours, but it takes some doing.

yes you could use either the HR24 or the H21 with the camper setup. But one note....if you upgrade to Genie they will upgrade you to a SWM setup (only one wire needed). If you have an older dish at the campsite that is not SWM it can be a pain to get the receiver to changeover to a non-SWM setup

(to know if you have SWM now on the HR24 if there is only one line connected then its SWM....2 lines is a non SWM)
Welcome to SatelliteGuys! What Tony Says, I upgraded to SWM a month or so ago and ordered a SL3SWM LNB & Power Inserter so I take one of my HR's camping seamlessly this weekend (if everything works out right)using a tripod and a Phase III dish. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)