Geosat 3500 VS Linkbox9000

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mikey11

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
canada
which of these would you consider to be the better choice?

will either of them get more channels, or basically the same?

both are DVB-S2 im assuming, will both do AC3 audio?

Yes and Yes to S2 & AC3. Been watching those models being talked about. Don't think one or the other will result in more channels magically.
IMHO, at this time, I think I'd go with the 9000 if I were looking for a receiver. But the Amiko HD SE is still working well. No problems. But if it were to 'go' ,

Reactions: norman881
thanks,

from what i have been reading the 9000 seems to be geared and designed more for "eye patch" people, not sure if i like that

The 9000i and 9000i local (with ATSC tuner) are reviewed by most hobbyists as very good true FTA STBs. In my experience with their products over the years, is that the firmware is very well developed and supports the hobbyists needs and wants very well. The only "negative" that I have read is that the blind scan is slower than other STBs, but the scan results are very good.

The 3500 does ACM (music choice channels on 125w).

thanks, i had a 3500 ordered and cancelled it because i wanted to think about it more and do more research, now i just dont know which way to go, Lol

Can the 9000i record off the ATSC tuner? That would probably sway my vote. Ensure it has network time referencing. I thought I heard it does.

Get off your Apps and drive...

I chose the 9000i (not Local) and I've been very pleased.But if I was wanting a receiver to blind scan for feeds...I'd be disappointed.
Picture quality is awesome.
No experience with the 3500, only what little I have read.

I have an 8000 local as one of our receivers and have not had any problems with it.
Reading the thread on the 3500 does not bode well for that receiver as it still appears to never have had all the satellite related problems resolved. If you wanted a receiver to do 1 item then the 3500 may be the way to go but if your looking for a decent all around FTA receiver the 9000i local would be the one I would choose with all the response I have heard on it so far. This would not only handle satellite but also the local ota signals as well; depending on your area that can be a few to several additional channels.

Yes, there are two models.
One with a ATSC tuner and one without.

Yes, it is just slower. Have not heard any reports of it missing feeds, that another box catches.

If I was to make a choice between the 2 receivers based on the info out there the 9000i local would win hands down!
I have not heard of any dis-satisfied owners of the 9000i local yet.
It's predecessor the 8000i local also works fine and is used here on one of our dishes. Even the youngest can use it with ease.
If you do not have ota local broadcasts in your area then the 9000i which would be a bit less expensive would be the way to go.

The 3500 has so many problems that it appears even most of the dealers are no longer actively promoting it.
Huge red flag there!!!

will either of them get more channels, or basically the same?

Granted no receiver is perfect but for one that will do most of what is out there plus the benefit of the local OTA channels the 9000i local would beat the 3500 by a long shot!
The only difference is that the 3500 will pick up the music choice channels on 125 but if you read the thread you will see where the blind scan is lacking on the 3500 along with other problems.
Reading the 3500 thread here with over 64 pages you see problem after problem appearing and no where have you see all the ones pertaining to the satellite side being remedied.
I have never hear if they fixed the problem with the receiver showing the incorrect frequency for signals on 101 to date. That should have been simple enough.

Reactions: . Raine and N6BY
what does not local mean? are there different models?
can you explain this a bit?....is it because the 9000 does not find the feeds very well?....or its just slow?

KE4EST,supplied the answers above.Yeah,the blind scan is very good...just takes longer than getting to 'Home Plate' back in high school.lol. :rolleyes:

I'm enjoying my Linkbox 9000i very much! :) Even though I bought a bad box that tends to give me a jittery twitchy screen on some Transponders. The HD picture is very nice and the blind scan is very thorough which is fine by me! I may very well buy another 9000i soon! :-D

To answer you concerns about pirating, the Linkbox 9000i is a completely legal FTA Reciever as long as you use the factory approved Linkbox firmware. However, the 9000i can be very easily converted to pirate Dish N Channels, using inexpensive optional hardware and non-factory firmware found online; which obviously voids warranty. But as long as you stay far away from that, the 9000i is very much a legal FTA receiver ready to be hooked up to your TV. :)

Yes, there are two models.
One with a ATSC tuner and one without.

probably a dumb question.....

what is ATSC for?....can that be used to hookup an HD antenna?....or is that for a cable input from a provider?

ATSC Is local OTA broadcasting, ie digital TV via antenna.

Get off your Apps and drive...

what is ATSC for?....can that be used to hookup an HD antenna?.

Yes, it means you can hook it up to your antenna to pick up digital OTA (over the air) channels.
Mickey, to answer your question directly, you need to know if you can pick up any digital channels with an antenna.
If the answer is yes then the 9000i local is the receiver to pick up.
If you do not have any local OTA digital channels in your area then the 9000i is the receiver to go with.
No sense to waste $$$ on something you will never use.
The 9000i local will have 2 tuners in the receiver, one for your antenna and one for your satellite.
The 9000i will only have the one tuner in it for satellite only.

Yes, it means you can hook it up to your antenna to pick up digital OTA (over the air) channels.
Mickey, to answer your question directly, you need to know if you can pick up any digital channels with an antenna.
If the answer is yes then the 9000i local is the receiver to pick up.
If you do not have any local OTA digital channels in your area then the 9000i is the receiver to go with.
No sense to waste $$$ on something you will never use.
The 9000i local will have 2 tuners in the receiver, one for your antenna and one for your satellite.
The 9000i will only have the one tuner in it for satellite only.

thanks, i do have OTA channels available but probably would never go that route as i have a cable sub, and no OTA antenna (currently)

Id just like to say I love my geosat 3500 :) it picks up even the most narrow signals including the NPR feeds on 99w. It does the music choice acm feeds and 16apsk feeds. The one drawback I have is it can be laggy when pausing/playing live tv (using the dvr functions) otherwise very happy. I feel the major issues have been fixed. The iptv works well for me also. Im looking for a good box with an excellent sat tuner and the 3500 cant be beat. Better then any other box Ive used. The 9000 is reported to be a great box too! Ive thought about grabbing a 9000 for fun!

Id just like to say I love my geosat 3500 :) it picks up even the most narrow signals including the NPR feeds on 99w. It does the music choice acm feeds and 16apsk feeds. The one drawback I have is it can be laggy when pausing/playing live tv (using the dvr functions) otherwise very happy. I feel the major issues have been fixed. The iptv works well for me also. Im looking for a good box with an excellent sat tuner and the 3500 cant be beat. Better then any other box Ive used. The 9000 is reported to be a great box too! Ive thought about grabbing a 9000 for fun!

thanks,

its nice to hear opinions from both sides....i will be making a purchase this weekend....i would say right now i am leaning toward the linkbox at about 60/40....i have always liked pansat products....but in all fairness i have never owned a geosat

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts