GEOSATpro GEOSATpro MicroHD boot loop

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

tc270

Original poster
Nov 9, 2020
London Ontario Canada
I have just got the boot loop problem, and I have searched different threads but could not find the answer. Iam using a XP computer and have purchased a Detech USB to TTL Serial Converter Cable.
My XP does see the device in device manager, and I am also running Alieditor. I have followed the GEOSATpro MicroHD firmware update via internal TTL serial connector as found in one of the threads. I get to step 10, "select comport with USB/TTL converter connected" but it comes up with, "failed to test port" message. So when using Aileditor using com port3 selecting upload STD - PC, test serial port status that is the message I get, failed to test port.

I also do not have a backup copy of the .ABS firmware, .DDF configuration default settings, and .UDF
user data base files.

Would someone be able to help me with this problem?

Thanks

I just went through this last weekend.

The solution to the "failed to test port" message was to uninstall the serial driver software from Windows that I had installed long ago for a different USB to serial adapter. I then installed the driver software from this site (get it here), rebooted my PC and I could then "see" the microHD. Everything went as it should after that.

You only need to install a fresh .udf file to get out of the boot loop symptom. Don't bother changing the .abs file.

Last edited:
Reactions: KE4EST

The solution to the "failed to test port" message was to uninstall the serial driver software from Windows that I had installed long ago for a different USB to serial adapter. I then installed the driver software from this site (get it here), rebooted my PC and I could then "see" the microHD. Everything went as it should after that.

You only need to install a fresh .udf file to get out of the boot loop symptom. Don't bother changing the .abs file.

Thank you so much I will try it.

Thank you so much I will try it.
Hi cyberham.
I have followed the procedure in "microHD serial Firmware update via internal TTL serial connection", finding I had to reverse the data lines. After many tries it did exactly as described. However after unplugging the unit and turning it back on the problem was still there. So is there something Iam missing, or is the unit bad?
Thanks

Did you install the clean new .udf database mentioned on this site, or did you install one of your own backed up .udf databases?

I've not encountered this. Installing a clean database has always fixed my situation. Maybe you need to flash the operating .abs firmware then?

Added: For reference, attached is an image showing the versions of what I'm using.
20201112_124000~2.jpg

Reactions: KE4EST
Did you install the clean new .udf database mentioned on this site, or did you install one of your own backed up .udf databases?

I've not encountered this. Installing a clean database has always fixed my situation. Maybe you need to flash the operating .abs firmware then?

Added: For reference, attached is an image showing the versions of what I'm using.
View attachment 148792

View attachment 148792

View attachment 148792
I installed the .udf file from this site.

You said this above. Was that a typo? To transfer the .udf file from the PC to the STB, you must use "Download file (PC --> STB)". Did you use that?
That is a typo error, I used "Download file(PC -> STB). The whole process worked, it said complete, so according to the procedure it was done. But after removing all connectors, then reattaching the power supply it still boot looped every 20 seconds.

Boot loop is usually caused by a user action. What did you do to cause the boot loop? I uploaded an old database backup which caused the database corruption.

I ask since maybe it's not a regular boot loop. For example, a low voltage input from the AC adapter or too low current source maybe could cause the same symptom.

Sent from my SM-G950W using the SatelliteGuys app!

If you haven't already, I would re-do the same procedure again to update the .udf file using the .udf file in this post. Just to be sure the new database actually was transferred accurately.

After that, then I guess as a last resort I'd update the .abs file. It's not logical to have to update the .abs since before the boot loop presumably the microHD was working correctly.

If you haven't already, I would re-do the same procedure again to update the .udf file using the .udf file in this post. Just to be sure the new database actually was transferred accurately.

After that, then I guess as a last resort I'd update the .abs file. It's not logical to have to update the .abs since before the boot loop presumably the microHD was working correctly.
I have done this procedure many times. How can I check that the database was transferred accurately when the unit keeps rebooting?

I just dug the MicroHD out of mothballs and wanted to see if there was any updated firmware.
Like others, I had a boot loop issue from having deleted transponders but not deleting the satellite. I ordered the serial cable and discovered that some of the pins needed to be moved to the right sockets. I had a cumbersome MS Vista computer at the time. It was a great learning experience and I'm glad I don't have to relearn it.
Mine seems to be working well and has the exact same information screen as posted by Cyberham, so I think I'll not try to upgrade firmware.
The small size of the MHD and quiet operation (no fan) is/was a plus.
I'm glad to see the MicroHD is still (somewhat) relevant.

Thanks for the memories.

The small size of the MHD and quiet operation (no fan) is/was a plus.
I'm glad to see the MicroHD is still (somewhat) relevant.

Yup, I still have two Micro HD receivers, one of which I'm saving for future use and the other one gets used EVERY DAY for playback!!! And not only that, but I also have two Openbox S9s that are still used regularly as well for recording stuff that the Wife and I like to watch and those S9 recordings playback fine on both my Micro HDs, which is a plus.

New stuff isn't always better, IMHO.

Just saying..................

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts