Get LA Locals in SF Bay Area?

lakers2

Original poster
Oct 28, 2010
Bay Area, CA
Is it possible to receive LA local channels in the SF Bay area, at 129 degrees? Would any spot beam cover it here in SF? I'm looking to get KCAL9 in particular. I changed my service address to an LA address, but was not able to tweak the receiver to receive LA channels. And btw I have a D#$# 500 satellite receiver, vip211k receiver. Please tell me if it's possible and which settings I can use. Thanks!

Last edited:
In order to get what you want, while living in the Bay Area, you need to subscribe to "NBA League Pass Broadband" and then either watch the Lakers games on your PC/laptop, or else get one of the many recent gadgets that will stream things to your TV (like the Google TV device reviewed in this Forum).

Normally, the NBA League Pass for TV would get you the Lakers games, but currently the dispute with Fox, means that Fox Sports West is not on Dish until the dispute is resolved.

PS By the way, the Warriors-Lakers game is on CSN Bay Area HD on Dish Network Sunday at 6pm.

Last edited:
Awwww try it

Because L.A. is to the south of us, and the Clark belt is to the south of L.A. I have customers getting L.A. spot beam up here North. It splatters on up here , Usually takes a little bigger dish. That pattern cuts off so. S. E. & W but does spray up N. as all spot beams in that configuration do.

Thanks everyone for replying!

Hmm, I wonder what gave it away that I want to watch Lakers games... :) :p

So it wouldn't be possible to reach LA locals with DirecTV either? Do they use spot beams too?

There is a service called "Distant Networks" (running independently for Dish Network) that offers a subscription to distant locals. However, they only provide main locals like FOX11, ABC7, NBC4, and CBS2. I called them today to ask if they would be able to provide KCAL9 and they said NO.

Do you know if there may be a similar distant locals subscription service for DirecTV? Do they install a larger satellite receiver to reach farther spot beams/transponders? Do you think if I subscribe to them, I could try getting other locals as well such as KCAL9?

Sorry for all the questions but thanks in advance for all your help!!! :D

Add on to last post

How come its possible to receive some NY channels on this limited SF spot beam?

Also, Dish Network provides one LA local channel (KTLA 5) as a superstation. How is that possible with standard dish satellite receiver if the spot beam cannot be reached?

How come its possible to receive some NY channels on this limited SF spot beam?

Also, Dish Network provides one LA local channel (KTLA 5) as a superstation. How is that possible with standard dish satellite receiver if the spot beam cannot be reached?

I guess you don't understand how it works. KTLA and "some NY stations" do not use a spot beam.

LA and NY stations are available in the SF area, I had them (on D*) under a waiver thing before the local stations were carried in HD. Bus E* is another story.

The Big 4 for NY are CONUS (continental US) just like the cable chanenls (ESPN, TNT, TBS, WGN, A&E, etc)....reason being is some folks in Puerto Rico still get NY locals under the old grandfathered clause. They could get NY locals because PR locals werent up. When they were launched folks in PR that had the NY locals could keep them

WPIX, WWOR, KTLA, WSBK & KWGN (Ny, Ny, LA, Boston, Denver) are considered "Superstations" by the FCC and are available to most customers for $2 a piece or $7 for all 5 (last I checked)

The Fox dispute is now over, so League Pass should include all Lakers games on TV, as well as by broadband. There is a Free Preview until Wednesday afternoon.

Really that is the simplest way if you only want LA channels for the Lakers.

You could arrange for someone in the LA area to Sling from one tuner on a Dish box and you receive that Slinged signal on your end. A few people have posted that they do just that, and in one case so that he or she can watch the US TV shows abroad.

Keep in mind that although KCAL 9 is owned by CBS, it is NOT a CBS TV Network station and is run as an "independent" station (yes, they have aired CBS programming while KCBS 2 aired sports, but that is very rare), so it is NOT considered a "big four" network station. When you aren't watching the Lakers, KCAL's frequent newscasts, especially during prime-time, can often be just as exciting as the basketball game :).

Sunday's lakers game is on Channel 419 in HD (in the Bay Area)

Tuesday,s lakers game is on Channel 560 in HD (nationally)

After that, the Free Preview will be over and you will need to subscribe to NBA League Pass, either on Dish Network or by broadband at nba.com

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts