Get out your wallet. ST in HD now $318.00

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
I have yet to take any calls from people pissed about this. Then again, I'm in technical and not sales/billing, though I also take mainbank backflow calls. In terms of credit, it's a total judgment call. If someone calls in and whines like a baby about it, I'll tell them to go piss up a rope and not give them credit at all. If someone calls in and attempts to have a civilized conversation about it. I might give them partial credit; usually $10 off per month for 6 months. Even though 60 =/= 99, I bet it would take a bit of the sting out.

Either way, this should be lots of fun when the general "masses" find out about the HD increase. Many many people (I work for an electronics retailer) have HDTV's and Directv for Sunday ticket - D* is going to piss off a LOT of people on this one.

vurbano said:
Thats funny Ive never sent an insulting PM to anyone, not a member and certainly not a moderator. The only insulting Pm's Ive gotten have been from Ken calling me an idiot. :rolleyes: LOL

Gee I wonder why :rolleyes: considering you made a post with just a link to a Dish Network sales ad.

credit where credit is due...

Ok, I have never had an issue squeezing credits out of D* (or anyone for that matter).

I decided to call on my way to work today, and pitch a fit so I could get credit $99 for this Superfan thing. I got a huge "no dice".

"We know that we are the only ones that offer NFL in HD, so go ahead and get Comcast and enjoy your two games a week", was the basic gist of my conversation.

What did you guys say to get credited??? My conversation was basically take it or leave it, we don;t need you, you need us.

I'm still keeping the ticket and getting the superfan (I've waited long enough for decent hd content anyway), but I want some $hit for free!!!

Help a brother out here...

I will pay....been an ST sub with D* since the early days of just the raw feed (no commericals). ST is the only reason I keep my D*, so I don't see any reason to stop.

Despite my previous posts to this very thread, I have reversed course as a matter of principal. Yesterday, before I even read about the noHDtax petition posted by SatGuys, I rolled my services back to Total Choice. I cancelled the previously renewed NFLST, the previously ordered SuperFan pack and removed all premium content and the HD pack.

Granted it is the beginning of summer and I'll watch little TV I have about 110 hours stored on the HR10-250, so I'll be fine. I also marked the schedule of what my local carriers will have and I will get PLENTLY of HD football without DirecTV. The only catch will be the HD Pack for ESPN on Sunday, Thursday, Monday (I forget how they shuffled these games with the demise of ABC’s MNF) Which I’ll add and remove on a per day basis.

I said it here before and about started a war but I am going to say it again. The cost of HD should be passed on to ALL subs. Had D* done this, for about $1.00 /mo this and the HD Pack would be a non-issue. Given we all just footed a $5.00/mo increase it is a null issue. The cost of programming did not increase. I mean really, starting next year people are going to demand all HD anyway!!! Even my wife complains about SD programming and she has never cared about anything on the TV except football. People are not willing, in the majority, to pay extra for what is the “new” standard. Voom has proven this in its failure. I didn’t hear anything about NBC charging more for “Color TV” in the 60’s!!!

D*, you have been warned. While the petition only illustrates a small fraction of customers, friends tell friends … and I DO have a CableCard slot in my HDTV. It would not be a stretch for me to opt for a MediaCenter PC either. Keep it up …

slacker9876 said:
Granted it is the beginning of summer and I'll watch little TV I have about 110 hours stored on the HR10-250, so I'll be fine. I also marked the schedule of what my local carriers will have and I will get PLENTLY of HD football without DirecTV. The only catch will be the HD Pack for ESPN on Sunday, Thursday, Monday (I forget how they shuffled these games with the demise of ABC’s MNF) Which I’ll add and remove on a per day basis.

MNF will still be on ABC this season. It's next season that everything changes.

2006 Season
NBC has Sunday Night Game
ESPN has Monday Night Football

If the local team is playing in the MNF game, it will be broadcast OTA.

Fire Back!

This is posted on another thread, but this suggests how to save $99.

In response to the $99 surcharge for receiving SundayTicket HD broadcasts, I spoke with DirecTV and advised the customer service rep that to make up the expense of paying an additional $99 for Sunday Ticket this fall I reluctantly needed to suspend my $41 Total Choice package for the summer.

I was transferred to another rep who, upon being advised of my intent to reduce DirecTV revenues by $41 per month for awhile, agreed to place a $99 credit on my account in return for my continuation of my regular DirecTV service.

If you just want to ask for DirecTV to change its mind and drop the $99 NFL HD "SuperFan" charge because it is the right thing to do you will get nowhere; if you threaten to reduce their revenue by temporarily dropping the service you should get a $99 credit and receive the NFL in HD this fall at no additional charge.

Now THAT makes sense DAN! Lowering my bill $20/mo for just 6mos so I can "justify" (to DirecTV) my spending the extra $99 for the NFLST SUPERFAN deal is pure common sense genius and I will do that as well.

Be prepared to back up your statement though. Empty "threats" are not usually taken as seriously.

I use the term "threats" loosely.

If only dish or cable would have been allowed in, then we wouldn't be in this mess. I am soo mad at Taglibue right now, Dammit!! and double Dammit!!

Just got the $20 a month for 6 months out of the first rep I spoke with. She offered it up immediately.

I'm not paying the extra $99 for the exact same thing I had last year. That's just nuts. Yes, I can afford it, but it's the principle of the matter.

I know some people will gladly let DirecTV get away with anything and happily accept it, but I'm not one of them. I'm going to cancel my ST renewal, and also cancel all of the movie channels (I get them all and never watch them anyway). Without Sunday Ticket, there's no reason for me to keep D* (other than, of course, more empty promises of "more HD".)

I may switch to Dish completely. I have one Dish HD receiver with just the HD pack, and its picture quality is a step above D*, as well as a lot more channels.

I'm a former Voom customer, and got spoiled with such a great company, which makes moves like this from D* all the more hard to take. After having Voom, empty promises just aren't enough for me. I need HD content (like Dish has finally started to add), not rumors of more content, and at a reasonable price.

I'm only paying $15/month to Dish for 16 HD channels ($5 discount for 6 months). D* (even if they had a decent selection of HD) won't let you subscribe to just HD. More and more, I think it's time to finally get rid of them completely.

Sorry for getting off topic...

Well, I've about had it. I'm not overly impressed with DirecTV. In reality, it doesn't offer anything I can't get via cable. I originally signed up last fall because Time Warner had not as of yet signed up ESPN, and the weekend I bought a dish they added it to their lineup. I stuck with D* because I did like ST, but in reality, most of the games I really wanted to see were carried OTA locally, and in that case, my antenna was less reliable than cable. Somedays reception is great, other days it is iffy. I'm not pumping anymore $$ into another OTA antenna. TWC also picked up Fox locally here too in HD, so I see no reason to stick with D* now. I'll actually pick up a couple of extra HD channels, get movies in demand, and better music channels. I also don't have to worry about snow or ice on my dish, or a downpour causing a disruption. The downside is that at least using the previous HD box, I had to go through separate inputs for SD and HD channels, because SD channels were dreadful through my component video input. But I'll deal with that, I guess. I also hate that I have spent money on hardware including an OTA antenna, but I guess I can probably use it as a backup if the cable goes out.

I called D* and told them I would not pay the $99 for sure. They offered to make up $90 of that giving me credits on some other stuff. Still, it's a lot of money. I can go to several games here locally for that amount. I guess it's not really worth it if you live in the city where your team plays.

swacksman said:
Well, I've about had it. I'm not overly impressed with DirecTV. In reality, it doesn't offer anything I can't get via cable. I originally signed up last fall because Time Warner had not as of yet signed up ESPN, and the weekend I bought a dish they added it to their lineup. I stuck with D* because I did like ST, but in reality, most of the games I really wanted to see were carried OTA locally, and in that case, my antenna was less reliable than cable. Somedays reception is great, other days it is iffy. I'm not pumping anymore $$ into another OTA antenna. TWC also picked up Fox locally here too in HD, so I see no reason to stick with D* now. I'll actually pick up a couple of extra HD channels, get movies in demand, and better music channels. I also don't have to worry about snow or ice on my dish, or a downpour causing a disruption. The downside is that at least using the previous HD box, I had to go through separate inputs for SD and HD channels, because SD channels were dreadful through my component video input. But I'll deal with that, I guess. I also hate that I have spent money on hardware including an OTA antenna, but I guess I can probably use it as a backup if the cable goes out.

I called D* and told them I would not pay the $99 for sure. They offered to make up $90 of that giving me credits on some other stuff. Still, it's a lot of money. I can go to several games here locally for that amount. I guess it's not really worth it if you live in the city where your team plays.

Where you live you can go to several games for $99?? Even GB is almost $60 a ticket for endzones :confused:

I'm late in joining this topic and learning about the 2005 price of $318 for ST: Super Fan. The one thing that I didn't see any one mention (and I may have overlooked it) is that this outrageous price is in addition to the $10.99 monthly HD price. So, for the four months of the NFL season, it is actually $361.96. That sure does seem to be excessive considering that every game isn't offered in HD.

It sure was tough last year watching the Dolphins lose pretty much every week, but it was even more disappointing to watch many of their games in non-HD. I wouldn't mind paying the premium if I knew that every game was going to be in HD. "Over 100 NFL games available in HD" isn't even half the Sunday games (if my math is correct, there are 222 Sunday day games -- non-MNF/SNF games).

The only reason that I switched from cable to DirecTv was for the NFL ST (like many people). Unfortunately, I am not happy, but will end up renewing it this year. Being a FinFan in New England will be tough this year, because I know that I will only be able to watch them twice on the local channels (when they play the Patriots). They don't have any primetime games in 2005. So, I'm sure that there are many other transplanted NFL fans out there in a similar position.. and unfortuantely... DirecTv knows that. I am a realist and they will not change their pricing this year.

Thank you sir may I have another...

I know how you feel, wpbrob. I'm a Dolphin fan in Wisconsin and there were very few HD Dolphin games. Plus we missed the first game completely because of the hurricane and the NFL wouldn't let DirecTV show the game because they played on Saturday. So not only did the Dolphins not get on HD much last year, we only say 15 games. This year without any prime time games in 35 years they probably won't be in HD at all this year.

Chris

CRendall said:
I know how you feel, wpbrob. I'm a Dolphin fan in Wisconsin and there were very few HD Dolphin games. Plus we missed the first game completely because of the hurricane and the NFL wouldn't let DirecTV show the game because they played on Saturday. So not only did the Dolphins not get on HD much last year, we only say 15 games. This year without any prime time games in 35 years they probably won't be in HD at all this year.

Chris

alright!! Another phins fan....we still exist! A dolphin fan in MA here. I am guessing becasue they were so horrible last year we won't see many HD games....but there could be more sellouts this year!! I am always hoping anyways!!

Well I've been a DirecTV sub since 1994. I've gotten the NFL ST off & on since they first offered it. I remember when I got the early bird special once for $119, the next year for $139, those were the days.....

Well, I recently sent an email to DirecTV complaining about the additional price for HD NFL ST... and got this reply the same day:

05/23/2005 07:29 PM

Dear -----,

Thanks for writing. I have forwarded your message to the appropriate department for further review. Thanks for your patience while we look into this further.

Sincerely,

Katherine
DIRECTV Customer Service

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)