getting H10-250 tomorrow

Status
Please reply by conversation.

johnml

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 3, 2006
fort lauderdale
I'm getting the H10-250 installed tomorrow. part of the deal is they would replace my dish "if needed". How do i know if i need a new dish ? (capable of getting HI-DEF ?) since I'm recommitting i want a new dish/lnb's. my currant dish is about two years old. my luck has it if they don't replace the dish and lnb's then they will go bad and ill have to pay. any advise ? thanks:confused:

If you never had HD service, nor international programming at that location/dish, chances are you have a dual lnb (really just one LNB), in which case, they will either need to install a 3lnb dish (3 lnbs), they may even install a AT9 dish to furture proof you when you go mpeg4.

johnml said:
I'm getting the H10-250 installed tomorrow. part of the deal is they would replace my dish "if needed". How do i know if i need a new dish ? (capable of getting HI-DEF ?) since I'm recommitting i want a new dish/lnb's. my currant dish is about two years old. my luck has it if they don't replace the dish and lnb's then they will go bad and ill have to pay. any advise ? thanks:confused:
The HR10-250 isn't MPEG4 compatible but Directv has required since Dec. 05 that all HDTV installs require an AT9 dish. If you don't get the new AT9 complain to Directv it is their requirement!!!!!:mad:

I had one installed on Wednesday but I already have the AT9 dish with an H20 running. But the installer had a 3 LNB dish with him for the install which I of course took from him. With that said they are still installing 3 LNB dishes. I live in NYC which has the MPEG 4 locals running already so there is no reason for them to be installing the 3 LNB's still.

Hr10-250 Hd-dvr

Not true on the 3LNB dish. I had the 5LNB and H20 installed last week and next week I will be getting a free HD-DVR 10-250, but it does not run on the 5LNB so they are installing a 3LNB for me as well. At least that is what the installer told me last week. It still does not sound right, but I am not arguing when I only have to pay $19.95 for shipping on the HD-DVR. So I will have both dishes for the time being until the new mpeg-4 HD-DVR comes out. Rumor is that D* is replacing the old mpeg-2 HD-DVR's for free when the new mpeg-4 HD-DVR comes out. I will believe it when I see it.

I hope thats true about replacing the HR10-250, but the CSR told me the cost will be substantial when it comes out ( i asked how substantial and he told me around the same price as the HR10-250 when it first came out which i read in this forum was around $1000.00 ? ). i asked because i just had a HR10-250 installed friday which i also got for free. i'll keep my fingers crossed though...

bases1616 said:
Not true on the 3LNB dish. I had the 5LNB and H20 installed last week and next week I will be getting a free HD-DVR 10-250, but it does not run on the 5LNB so they are installing a 3LNB for me as well. At least that is what the installer told me last week. It still does not sound right, but I am not arguing when I only have to pay $19.95 for shipping on the HD-DVR. So I will have both dishes for the time being until the new mpeg-4 HD-DVR comes out. Rumor is that D* is replacing the old mpeg-2 HD-DVR's for free when the new mpeg-4 HD-DVR comes out. I will believe it when I see it.

Just so you know the HD-DVR does run on the 5 LNB dish as I have 2 of them along with an H20 all running off of one AT9 dish.

Yeah,BASES,any ird will work with the 5 lnb dish,they just wont be able to see the 99 or 101 sats.We dont install the 5 lnb with hd tivos just with every H20.Dont let a csr that sits at a computer all day tell ya you need another dish on yer house!

bases1616 said:

the hd dvr 10-250 will definitely work with the 5 lnb dish. what he meant is the dvr will not get mpeg4 so the dvr will not receive hd locals thru directv, unless in ny or la or with ota antenna

bases1616 said:

You know, that's the second time I have read about the HR10-250 not working with the AT9. The last time it was on another forum posted by some one who clamied to be a certified installer. As you have already read that is dead wrong!

freddog said:
Just so you know the HD-DVR does run on the 5 LNB dish as I have 2 of them along with an H20 all running off of one AT9 dish.

Based on that, do you think that it would be possible (without extra charge) to have D* install an H20 alongside my HD-DVR & use my switcher to switch the inputs (as I do with my cable & PC) to my TV?

I ask because I'm missing some FSNHD games & need the mpeg4 setup to receive them--at least that's what D* told me via email.

BTW, I'm in the Seattle dma & only 2 of the big 4 nets are available(HD) so far.

Thanks.

bases1616 said:

The HD-DVR 10-250 WILL work with the 5LNB. There is absolutely no need to install another dish. If you have the HD-20 receiver, you can use both receivers -- one to watch and record all the channels except your locals and the RSN's that will not work with with the HD-DVR 10-250, and the other to watch (only) the locals and the local RSN in Hi Def. I already had the HD-20 Receiver and D* came out to install a third line so that I don't have to switch the line from Satellite 2 on the DVR to the Sat "in" connection on the HD-20 receiver. They even threw in the monthly charge to activate the second receiver (for the next 12 months -- is that how long it may take to get the new HD--DVR 20-250?). With a neat little HDMI switching box that I picked up, I can watch either receiver with the push of a button.

This should be a fine solution where the locals cannot be picked up with and OTA . As others have documented, the HD-DVR 10-250 can record off an OTA so that would be the preferable solution for those who swear by their HD-DVR10-250 and want to RECORD the locals. Unfortunately, if you want to see the local RSN's that have come on line since July 1, you will need to view them with the HD-20 Receiver for now. Or are local RSN's brodcast over the air?

well I am wondering how the O.p. likes his new Hd dvr- I just got mine and LOVE it, a little slow at first but it seems to be speeding up. will try and write more later.

My installer a few weeks ago had on his work order to install the 3 LNB dish even though about 2 months prior I had the 5 LNB already installed. Obviously, I did not have him install it. And I chose not to take it even though he offerred to leave it as it was technically mine.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts