Glorystar dual satellite dish unable to get both birds

apsc

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 3, 2009
Florida
I am unable to get both the Glorystar satellites at the same time does anyone know something i don't?

Be absolutely sure the dish is very flat! Use a string vertically and horizontally - the strings should touch each other whether over or under each other.
Bob

Please describe your system (receiver brand and model and the model of the switch).

Basic trouble shooting:

1. Is the mounting post PERFECTLY plumb and level with the tripod legs installed?
  2. Is the dish warped or bent? Did you lay the dish on a flat surface or perform the string test?
  3. Are you using the new cable shipped with the system or trying to reuse existing coax cable?
  4. Has the receiver been activated following the procedure in the installation guide?
  5. Has the dual LNBF bracket been rotated to the correct Skew (rotation)? In Florida, the clamp will be rotated to the left (counter-clockwise) making the left LNBF lower than the LNBF on the right side.
  6. Are both LNBFs set so the face of the LNBFs are slid toward the reflector approx. 3/4"? Are the center marking lines on the top of the LNBFs aligned with arrows on the top of the dual LNBF clamp?
  7. Do you receive 3ABN channel when connected directly to the LNBF on the right side (not connecting through the switch)?
  8. Do you receive TBN channel when connected directly to the LNBF on the left side (not connecting through the switch)?
  9. Did you turn off or disconnect the receiver's power when inserting the switch?
  10. Is the switch inserted correctly?
Please call our technical support team for assistance if you continue to have issues with the system!

Last edited:
Please describe your system (receiver brand and model and the model of the switch).

Basic trouble shooting:

1. Is the mounting post PERFECTLY plumb and level with the tripod legs installed?
  2. Is the dish warped or bent? Did you lay the dish on a flat surface or perform the string test?
  3. Are you using the new cable shipped with the system or trying to reuse existing coax cable?
  4. Has the receiver been activated following the procedure in the installation guide?
  5. Has the dual LNBF bracket been rotated to the correct Skew (rotation)? In Florida, the clamp will be rotated to the left (counter-clockwise) making the left LNBF lower than the LNBF on the right side.
  6. Are both LNBFs set so the face of the LNBFs are slid toward the reflector approx. 3/4"? Are the center marking lines on the top of the LNBFs aligned with arrows on the top of the dual LNBF clamp?
  7. Do you receive 3ABN channel when connected directly to the LNBF on the right side (not connecting through the switch)?
  8. Do you receive TBN channel when connected directly to the LNBF on the left side (not connecting through the switch)?
  9. Did you turn off or disconnect the receiver's power when inserting the switch?
  10. Is the switch inserted correctly?
Please call our technical support team for assistance if you continue to have issues with the system!

Unfortunately I'm a satellite system installer and I know of two very experienced technicians who were unable to get both birds. It seems to me you would be better off to just get two of the single LNB systems and point to each bird and use the switch that would guarantee maximum signal reception.
Don't you think that would be more affective?:)

Very odd that they cant get both satellites. 101W is very strong and should come in no issues. I know of a few folks (not installers) who have both sats just fine in Florida

Sounds like Glorystar is giving you some options to test out

Unfortunately I'm a satellite system installer and I know of two very experienced technicians who were unable to get both birds. It seems to me you would be better off to just get two of the single LNB systems and point to each bird and use the switch that would guarantee maximum signal reception.
Don't you think that would be more affective?:)

No, the single dish solution provides very good results in the majority of install situations. You may find that installers might be more comfortable installing two separate dishes, but there is no need as both satellites provide excellent signals for the continental US, Hawaii, Southern Canada and all but the most southern border of Mexico. The satellites are only spaced 4 degrees apart and the dish, bracket and LNBFs have been designed and optimized specifically for this solution.

We exhibited at the NRB in Orlando three years ago and I installed a temporary dish system mounted on a PA tripod stand. All channels were above the recommended BER. Don't just take our word, check out the installer (Liquidforce88) in this recent thread who stated that the system was easier to install than the Dish 1000.4
http://www.satelliteguys.us/glorystar-support-forum/186961-basic-install-question.html#post1948921

With the exception of LOS issues or malfunctioning equipment, experienced installer or or first time installer.... we have found in providing technical support for the dual LNBF system over the past four years that there are 5 keys to successful installation:

1. Read and follow the installation instructions

2. See #1

3. See #2

4. See #3

5. See #4

Installers typically have developed a set way or routine for installing and most "have seen it all". The majority of installers will not review install guides prior to an install, but learn by trying things their own way. One contractor company lead tech became so frustrated with his crew that he requested a system for himself. He followed the instructions and was successful. Now, when he calls to close out installation orders, he has shared that when he has followed-up on problem calls from his crew, almost all problems are because the techs had been installing using their own method.

On several occasions he rolled to assist an installer and read the instructions as they worked. The installers would comment that they wished that the instructions would have provided them the information as the training that he had just provided..... LOL!!!! :eek:

You will be successful! I guarantee it! Once you have successfully installed the Glorystar system you will most likely recall this post and wonder why the install was ever considered a problem.

Last edited:
No, the single dish solution provides very good results in the majority of install situations. You may find that installers might be more comfortable installing two separate dishes, but there is no need as both satellites provide excellent signals for the continental US, Hawaii, Southern Canada and all but the most southern border of Mexico. The satellites are only spaced 4 degrees apart and the dish, bracket and LNBFs have been designed and optimized specifically for this solution.

We exhibited at the NRB in Orlando three years ago and I installed a temporary dish system mounted on a PA tripod stand. All channels were above the recommended BER. Don't just take our word, check out the installer (Liquidforce88) in this recent thread who stated that the system was easier to install than the Dish 1000.4
http://www.satelliteguys.us/glorystar-support-forum/186961-basic-install-question.html#post1948921

With the exception of LOS issues or malfunctioning equipment, experienced installer or or first time installer.... we have found in providing technical support for the dual LNBF system over the past four years that there are 5 keys to successful installation:

1. Read and follow the installation instructions

2. See #1

3. See #2

4. See #3

5. See #4

Installers typically have developed a set way or routine for installing and most "have seen it all". The majority of installers will not review install guides prior to an install, but learn by trying things their own way. One contractor company lead tech became so frustrated with his crew that he requested a system for himself. He followed the instructions and was successful. Now, when he calls to close out installation orders, he has shared that when he has followed-up on problem calls from his crew, almost all problems are because the techs had been installing using their own method.

On several occasions he rolled to assist an installer and read the instructions as they worked. The installers would comment that they wished that the instructions would have provided them the information as the training that he had just provided..... LOL!!!! :eek:

You will be successful! I guarantee it! Once you have successfully installed the Glorystar system you will most likely recall this post and wonder why the install was ever considered a problem.

Well we will give that a shot the other two technicians i mentioned are business owners who one with over twenty years experience tried for three days to get one to work the other tried for two days and neither had any success but they probably did'nt read instructions and both have birddog satellite meters...LOL:D

We have a very hard time getting both satellites with one dish here in the tip of south Texas. I am very active in promoting these systems but do not know of anyone here that has gotten both satellites with one 36" dish. We can do it with a 39" dish. For those wanting both satellites here, we have been selling them motors and have good luck with those.

We have a very hard time getting both satellites with one dish here in the tip of south Texas. I am very active in promoting these systems but do not know of anyone here that has gotten both satellites with one 36" dish. We can do it with a 39" dish. For those wanting both satellites here, we have been selling them motors and have good luck with those.

The 36" dish with dual LNBFs work very good in South Texas and are used further South into Central Mexico. I have personally installed several 36" dual LNBF Glorystar systems much father south from your location in the Yucatan region of Mexico. The system worked great with a 50% Signal Quality on the weakest Glorystar channel.

Please refer anyone with these problems to our customer service staff or you can PM the names and telephone numbers and we can contact them. We have not heard about the inability to receive both satellites carrying the Glorystar programming in South Texas with a dual LNBF 36" dish. We sell many systems in Texas and would expect to have received many reports if this was a problem.

I live near San Antonio Texas, just north of Shane and I have the dual LNB dish from Glorystar and get excellent reception from both Satellites. I'm not a professional installer but it took about an hour to get it lined up.

Isn't it true that the GloryStar dish that's normally provided with the dual LNB setup is a 39 inch dish, not a 36 inch dish?

Isn't it true that the GloryStar dish that's normally provided with the dual LNB setup is a 39 inch dish, not a 36 inch dish?

No, for the majority of North America (including Hawaii), Glorystar has always distributed the GEOSATpro 90cm / 36" dish.

Larger 1.2 - 2.4M dishes are required in Northern Canada, Alaska, the Caribbean and Central America.

I am unable to get both the Glorystar satellites at the same time does anyone know something i don't?

As long as your mast (foot) is both plumb & level, Set your elevation & sku on the dish. Go inside the home and turn on your receiver and put it on any channel. Turn you volume up ALL the way and pass out ear plugs to your family. Now go back to the dish and slowly search for the satellite. When you hear your TV on, Lock it. The go to your sig meter from there you can fine tune.

I have installed many Glorystar systems with no problems at all getting the 2 birds. I do use a birdog but any cheap meter will do. Or just use the TV as your meter.

I live near San Antonio Texas, just north of Shane...

San Antonio is a 4 1/2 hour drive north for me. That is like the distance from Los Angeles to Las Vegas, St. Louis to Chicago or New York City to Washington DC. Texas is a really big state.

I am not saying it can't be done... just that I haven't found anyone that can do it.

Last edited:
San Antonio is a 4 1/2 hour drive north for me. That is like the distance from Los Angeles to Las Vegas, St. Louis to Chicago or New York City to Washington DC. Texas is a really big state.

200+/- miles is not that great of distance, resulting in a minimal change within the satellite footprint and will change the aiming by only a few degrees. We recently contracted a Glorystar system to be installed in a prison near your location in McAllen with excellent Signal Quality readings reported. The Glorystar systems are confirmed to perform well North, South and West of your location. I do not know of any reason why the 90cm / 36" dish would not provide reception for everyone in your area.

I noticed that you are using a different brands of LNBFs, switches and receivers than what we support for Glorystar. These items could also be issues that are complicating the reception of the two satellites. A poor quality multi-switch can reduce the satellite signal strength in half!

This post sure has been at the top for a little while.

Well, since you started the thread....... Yes, a few professional installers have replied with confirmations of success and suggestions.

Did you accept the install job? If so, How did the install go? Did the suggestions and testing steps assist?

I had meant to add, that since you are out on the job behind someone else...... Make sure to perform a Factory Reset and definitely perform the string test before doing anything. You never know what could have been changed in the menus or not checked before the installation.

Last edited:
Hi, Glorystar and all.
Corpus Christi, 7 minutes from unpack to signal AQ. Victoria was 11 minutes. Perry GA 22 minutes, because of trees. Springfield MO, bottom of gully, about 1 hour to find LOS then signal at LOS location in 5 minutes..... 17500 miles 45 + locations, seldom a stable or plumb pole mount. I use the Mercury II and the standard system NOTE!!!! I have the strings epoxied the dish and check them every time! Saves hours. I leave my LNBs set in the bracket though I sometimes remove the bracket from the arm. I ususally go for TBN first, but AMC4 always has come in.

OF COURSE, I did have one bent arm which was replaced under warrentee and have had NO problem since
POP aka Doug

Last edited:
I have now heard of someone that has successfully installed the Glorystar system here. I have yet to talk to him personally. He is the nephew of a friend I attend church with. He is not a professional.

One of my LNBFs I did buy from Glorystar. I have it on the dish pointed at AMC4. The other one I bought on line from some company in Canada because with a .3 db. Both work fine. The .3 db LNBF did improve my signal quality from G25 (now G19).

I did buy the dual LNBFs from Glorystar but gave them away to someone that used them on a 39" dish. I will try to get hooked up with this other individual and confirm his success. I would like to set up a few of these systems with him and start doing it myself as a hobby. I am even willing to buy a bird dog.

You might consider the SatBuddy instead of the Birdog. The meter is outstanding and easy to use (they include a preprogrammed Glorystar configuration).

I have owned many Signal Identification meters and the SatBuddy features and ease of use blows every previous meter out of the water!

The SatBuddy is THE meter for Glorystar! I use one every day - it is the best friend a Glorystar installer can have. :)
Bob