Glorystar EPG Update

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

MikeC

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Hello,

Is there any update on the status of the Glorystar EPG implementation? I haven't heard anything for a while.

Thanks
Mike

The project is coming along and all EPG functions have been tested and ready to implement. Unfortunately, the economy has deeply affected Christian broadcasters donations. Our request for programming information is too great of a demand for many of our partners at this time. Most broadcasters do not have financial resources and staffing to prioritize the EPG data collection.

We hope that the data will become available for the majority of the channels shortly. Until donations increase, we know that it will be impossible for many stations to provide. We need to have enough data to warrant the bandwidth purchase and to provide value to potential advertisers to support the service.

Thanks for the reply. So Glorystar must purchase the bandwidth?

It seems like a catch 22. I would think that with an EPG, Glorystar would be much more attractive to potential (new) subscribers.

Also:
- I would expect that *actual use* among subscribers would increase (it would with me). With an increase in actual use, interest in content goes up, contributions go up, etc.
- Trust in Glorystar to meet its commitments goes up. This has to be a good thing.
- Even with no data, if recording could be done with the EPG, it would enhance the Glorystar experience.

Thanks for the reply. So Glorystar must purchase the bandwidth?
Glorystar is not an uplinker, so we must purchase the time and bandwidth that we use on the satellite. Glorystar is not a subscription service, so without monthly revenue from viewers we need partners to provide services like EPG and program guides. Without complete data, partners are hesitant to be affiliated..... Yes, catch 22....

It seems like a catch 22. I would think that with an EPG, Glorystar would be much more attractive to potential (new) subscribers.
Agreed, but without the data being made available from our broadcaster partners, we are unable to provide the EPG service. We have developed the technology to implement the EPG for programming originating from multiple uplinkers and now require the data to implement the service.

Also:
- I would expect that *actual use* among subscribers would increase (it would with me). With an increase in actual use, interest in content goes up, contributions go up, etc.
Agreed! This fact is understood by all partners.

- Trust in Glorystar to meet its commitments goes up. This has to be a good thing.
Agreed! Unfortunately this situation is beyond Glorystar's ability to meet a commitment. Glorystar simply needs information to provide the service. We have all data that is submitted by the major broadcasters to the national services and many of the smaller broadcaster's data. Several of the smaller broadcasters, who do not have affiliates do not generate the data.

- Even with no data, if recording could be done with the EPG, it would enhance the Glorystar experience.
If no program information is available, no EPG can exist and EPG DVR times will not function. Program start and stop times must exist for an EPG timer to work. EPG timer function on one channel but a manual setting required for another channel will be very confusing to te average viewer! We are trying to implement this feature in a way that is useful and understandable to the average Glorystar viewer. We would implement EPG even if only basic information like program name and start / stop times were provided.

We are confident that this information will be provided, but we are hesitant to provide a launch date based on the financial difficulties that several broadcasters are experiencing. Several are struggling to stay on the air with the drastic reduction in donations. Providing EPG data is not their current priority.

We appreciate your understanding and remind everyone to remember these Christian broadcaster's in prayer and donations!

Maybe that is why I am not in broadcasting. To my thinking, 15 minutes to email Glorystar a spreadsheet with programming info (assuming that is all you need) would be a huge "bang for the buck".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)