GM kills Saturn/Pontiac

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wondered when GM was going to become 1 car company instead of 3 or 4. So many vehicles were the same across company lines. I guess no decision will have to be made between the Solstice and the Skye anymore.

Oh, there is no doubt that they needed to trim the lines, and I guess hard decisions had to be made somewhere.

They competed against themselves for years. So many of the same vehicles with a different name. It would have been different if each brand offered different vehicles.

They competed against themselves for years. So many of the same vehicles with a different name. It would have been different if each brand offered different vehicles.
True, out of both divisions there were really only two unique cars (or different enough cars anyway). The G8, and the sky/solstice. Everything else was a rebadged model more or less.

I would imagine the G8 and probably the Sky will remain as their "niche" products at Chevy dealers. That works for me. All other Pontiacs can go out the window with the garbage. It's sad about Saturn. They were just starting to make cars people actually looked at twice.

It's about time. Its mind-blowing that they've kept as many lines as they have for so long....

Question is - and it's a big one at the company where I work - what are they going to do about the Yukon? There was talk about a redesign that would make it into a smaller vehicle, perhaps without a 4WD option. Now, with the bankruptcy and no doubt government involvement in the decision making- what happens to full size SUVs? To be discontinued/downsized?

Any word on that? We'll likely buy a couple in the last year of full size production, if they're going to shrink badly or disappear entirely.

Question is - and it's a big one at the company where I work - what are they going to do about the Yukon? There was talk about a redesign that would make it into a smaller vehicle, perhaps without a 4WD option. Now, with the bankruptcy and no doubt government involvement in the decision making- what happens to full size SUVs? To be discontinued/downsized?

Any word on that? We'll likely buy a couple in the last year of full size production, if they're going to shrink badly or disappear entirely.

Full Size SUV's are still needed in this country and shouldn't go obsolete. Maybe not as many brands and maybe certain dealers will get out of the industry all together, but I still think the SUV has a place, just as a Truck with a bed does.

I work construction and I use my Ford Explorer every day, to haul big burly men, customers, building material and other stuff on a daily basis. As long as they're making them, our company will buy them. I don't see how I could do the same driving a Chevy Aveo.

I would not seemed surprised to see something give on the Yukon/ Denali as long as Cadillac sells Escalades and Chevy sells Suburbans. Both are duplicates of the GM brand. Eight passenger grocery getters are going to have to slim down. Look at the Ford Flex as an example of the crossover market.

I would not seemed surprised to see something give on the Yukon/ Denali as long as Cadillac sells Escalades and Chevy sells Suburbans. Both are duplicates of the GM brand. Eight passenger grocery getters are going to have to slim down. Look at the Ford Flex as an example of the crossover market.

As an aside, I think those new Ford Flex's are officially quite possibly the ugliest car ever made. :eek:;):D

I say the hell with all these car companies; let them fold or at least tell them to go to the oil companies for a bail out considering it was them they bent over backwards for for the past 10+ years !!!

Saturn was a scam from Day One.

Pontiac for the last 30 years has been little more than a Chevy with a couple of options standard and a different plasti-grill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts