GOES 16 GRB downlink vs GVAR

Is that new receiver you getting, advertising of being capable of sending BBF/CADU?
According who I talked with for Omicom, yes it should put out BBF's.
Omicom DVB-S2 PCI rev.4 specs
It's capable of Generic stream so it should work.
It also much cheaper then the TBS at 69.00 USD.
As like the TBS it's only a single receiver, but this is a card, PCI slot.
Since it's a card I would have to get real fancy with networking to get the data to Brett's program. As the only computer I have here with slots is a WinXP machine.
But I can make a dump with that computer and send it to Brett.
If it works it will be another option for GRB.

Since it's a card I would have to get real fancy with networking to get the data to Brett's program. As the only computer I have here with slots is a WinXP machine.
I'm confused. I realize that GRBStreamer won't run on WinXP. How would you read the GRB stream directly from the card on the WinXP machine and send it to GRBStreamer on another machine? Does the card come with software to stream over the network?

Assuming you can do that, GRBStreamer does not currently read incoming network streams. It only reads directly from the DVB card.

If you record a GRB stream file from it, I would be happy to examine it for you.

Reactions: GOES 12 GVAR user
How would you read the GRB stream directly from the card on the WinXP machine and send it to GRBStreamer on another machine?
GRBStreamer does not currently read incoming network streams.
I assumed that GRBStreamer could read a network stream.
It only reads directly from the DVB card
Well, then all a can do is a data dump with the XP machine..
Does the card come with software to stream over the network?
It does have some type of software, but it most likely driver related.
Providing it works, the dump will still tell me/us some very important info.

I have uploaded GRBStreamer 1.01 to my website at: http://naturalgfx.com/GRBStreamer101.zip

Differences from previous release:

1) I changed the way the 'Lock' button works. Now when you click 'Lock' it sends the command to the card and returns immediately without having to wait before you can do anything else. It should lock eventually. If it doesn't you can click 'Lock' again any time. I am pretty sure this is the way many other programs do it. A background process will continuously update the lock status.

2) GRBStreamer 1.01 automatically saves and loads your previous settings. All except for the Tuner Card selection.

3) I fixed a bug that would only affect TBS cards. Using a TBS card, for every packet of data coming from the DVB card there was a 1 in 24 million chance that the program would corrupt the stream. This has been fixed.

4) You can also use GRBStreamer with a TBS card to stream NOAAPort. The Digital Devices card does not work with NOAAPort because its ACM, and the card only supports QPSK and 8PSK.

GRBStreamer101.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the update!!!

Have add version 1.01 running since last night, and no issues, not even a bad sync error. I did noticed that it took a bit longer to lock with the TBS5925 (using the coax reset method) as compared as before, but is all good. I don't mind it. :)

Will be testing it soon with the DD.

I'll leave v1.01 running as long as possible to see how it performs on longs periods of activity, before switching to v1.01A, unless you see a reason to go to rev A sooner.

I'll leave v1.01 running as long as possible to see how it performs on longs periods of activity, before switching to v1.01A, unless you see a reason to go to rev A sooner.
Rev A is only for NOAAPort. It reduces NOAAPort Sync errors from 1 in 4000 to 1 in 500,000. But I just found a way to reduce them to near 0.

I will probably make another release soon, but I want to see if weather01089 has any problems with it.

Reactions: KWX
I have updated GRBStreamer with some bug fixes and changes. You may download the new version 1.02 here: http://naturalgfx.com/GRBStreamer102A.zip

1) It no longer causes the streamreader.log to fill up fast with error messages when using a Digital Devices card. GRBStreamer was trying to use functions not supported by Digital Devices.
2) The grbstreamer.log file now contains more useful information. If your card has two tuners, it will keep two separate log files (one for each tuner). This was necessary because sometimes there multiple instances of GRBStreamer running.
3) The streamreader.ini file now has the line "FrameMode=1" commented out. This is because CrazyCat said it was not necessary to use FrameMode=1. The frame mode is detected automatically.
4) For TBS cards, the status line now displays the SNR and Quality.
5) There is a new streaming mode - "Transport Stream". You can use this to stream live video to VLC (see screen shot below).

Here is GRBStreamer 1.02 streaming "InfoWars" on 99W to VLC player:

InfoWars.png

Reactions: KE4EST
Forgot to add this to the release notes for 1.02:

6) For NOAAPort streaming, the sync error rate is now zero. (Previously is was 1 in 500,000). Also, some software expects each NOAAPORT Stream ID to be sent to a separate port. Currently GRBStreamer currently sends all APIDS (101-108) to the same IP port. A future release of GRBStreamer may be able to specify individual ports for each Stream ID.

Reactions: KWX
Forgot to add this to the release notes for 1.02:

6) For NOAAPort streaming, the sync error rate is now zero. (Previously is was 1 in 500,000). Also, some software expects each NOAAPORT Stream ID to be sent to a separate port. Currently GRBStreamer currently sends all APIDS (101-108) to the same IP port. A future release of GRBStreamer may be able to specify individual ports for each Stream ID.

I'll be giving 2A a shot tomorrow AM. So far so good, no random disconnects, which could had been a coincidence.

Version 1.01 and prior releases caused streamreader to fill up its log file with "Unsupported function" messages -- 2 every second. 1.02 doesn't have that problem

For that reason, I highly recommend deleting the streamreader.log file. It could be several hundred MB of wasted disk space.

Update here:
New receiver card is in the states now so it won't be too long and I can try it out.
There has been no info about GOES S GRB. I suspect that NOAA is in the checkout phase with that satellite and it will be a couple of months before it starts transmitting any type of data.
Thanks again Brett for all the work you're doing on the software side and more.

Reactions: N6BY
Thanks again Brett for all the work you're doing on the software side and more.
You're welcome. But no need to thank me -- I enjoy doing it as a hobby and a break from my real job.

GOES S updates are often posted on Twitter under the '#GOES17' hashtag. Here's a link: #goes17 hashtag on Twitter

Looks like they have successfully activated the magnetometer and have received its data (screen shot below). I think I read somewhere that they expect to be streaming from all the instruments by about May 15th.

Screen Shot 2018-04-07 at 1.00.31 AM.png

Hi guys, here are the signal characteristic on the DD under LINUX at the time you have to "reset" the coax in order to get it to start reading:

Status = Locked : Signal Strength(%) = 59.40 : Signal Strength(dBm) = -49.17 : SNR(dB) = 9.5 : BER = 00000000 : Uncorrectable Blocks = 0 : Read (bytes) = 0
Status = Locked : Signal Strength(%) = 36.07 : Signal Strength(dBm) = -72.67 : SNR(dB) = 9.3 : BER = 00000000 : Uncorrectable Blocks = 0 : Read (bytes) = 0
Status = Locked : Signal Strength(%) = 36.52 : Signal Strength(dBm) = -72.68 : SNR(dB) = 8.7 : BER = 00000000 : Uncorrectable Blocks = 0 : Read (bytes) = 2073600
Status = Locked : Signal Strength(%) = 59.34 : Signal Strength(dBm) = -72.57 : SNR(dB) = 9.4 : BER = 00000000 : Uncorrectable Blocks = 0 : Read (bytes) = 4147200
Status = Locked : Signal Strength(%) = 59.57 : Signal Strength(dBm) = -71.75 : SNR(dB) = 9.5 : BER = 00000000 : Uncorrectable Blocks = 0 : Read (bytes) = 6220800
Status = Locked : Signal Strength(%) = 59.62 : Signal Strength(dBm) = -49.18 : SNR(dB) = 9.6 : BER = 00000000 : Uncorrectable Blocks = 0 : Read (bytes) = 8294400

Almost looks like as if the gain being used by these receivers so far could be the source, but you guys might have a better interpretation. :)

Reactions: N6BY
KWX, It looks good to me by the signal strength.
But for some reason the receiver don't lock unless it sees no signal. Kinda like a reference problem.
That's my 2 cents on the issue.

Another update here: I got the receiver Wed. but haven't been able to do much with it as the weather got severe here and been doing other things that need to get done here. Hoping to get it up next week.

Also an update on the CSPP Geo software ingest baseband frames option. Back on post #429

------- Email sent from the CSPP programmers---
Just wanted to give you a quick update. I know one of our programmers, Tommy, was in touch earlier with you and Brett. Based upon the sample file you gave us and Tommy's investigation, we believe we will be able to put in a change to the software to work with the base band frames. We are currently working on getting our Version 1.0 release out, but we plan to put out a patch with this fix following the 1.0 release, which is scheduled for next month. I'll be in touch once we have something ready to support the base band frames.

If you have any other questions or comments, feel free to let us know.

Thanks!

~Jess

------------------------------
So it looks like the CSPP Geo will be able to ingest BBF's in the future, YES! ;)
Thank You. :)
This opens more options for hardware ingest.

Reactions: N6BY and KWX
Interesting story in the news, GOES new sat is able to find wild fire starts in Oklahoma before the ground crews can. This has been a great help in getting the wild fires under control. You guys can monitor the weather and stand fire watch :)

Reactions: N6BY and KWX