GOES 16 GRB downlink vs GVAR

Maybe it lost signal and was unable to recover (either the program or the TBS5925)? I would try to reproduce and fix the problem here, but I don't have a good enough signal yet.

Possibly, I'm leaning a bit more towards the program on this one, given that the HRIT/SDR didn't showed a signal issue when I checked it, but keeping options open.

Possibly, I'm leaning a bit more towards the program on this one, given that the HRIT/SDR didn't showed a signal issue when I checked it, but keeping options open.
I think the best thing will be for me to have GRBStreamer create a log file. That will help me pinpoint the problem.

Interesting behavior I experienced this AM from GRBStreamer. It all off the sudden stopped streaming. It wouldn't' start streaming, until I closed GRBStreamer and restarted it. Just the first time I experinced it.
Sounds to me like something crashed. I would take a look in your OS system logs and see if anything shows up there that might have to do with what happened.
It may not have anything to do the GRBStreamer, it could have been another thing.(maybe)
Do you think that a good idea Brett?
And I agree that a log for GRBStreamer is a good idea.

Reactions: KWX
Sounds to me like something crashed. I would take a look in your OS system logs and see if anything shows up there that might have to do with what happened.
It may not have anything to do the GRBStreamer, it could have been another thing.(maybe)
Do you think that a good idea Brett?
And I agree that a log for GRBStreamer is a good idea.
Looking at the OS system log would be a good idea. Could have been a system error, GRBStreamer error, TBS tuner problem, streamreader.dll problem or ??

One thing would be good for users to know about GRBStreamer: Its passive.
By that I mean after it sets up the DVB tuner it just waits until streamreader.dll sends it BBFrames. If BBFrames stop coming there is a fault somewhere outside of GRBStreamer preventing that from happening.

The only way GRBStreamer could foul up is if it went into an infinite loop. I will add code to test for that in the next release, along with a logging option.

Looking at the OS system log would be a good idea. Could have been a system error, GRBStreamer error, TBS tuner problem, streamreader.dll problem or ??

One thing would be good for users to know about GRBStreamer: Its passive.
By that I mean after it sets up the DVB tuner it just waits until streamreader.dll sends it BBFrames. If BBFrames stop coming there is a fault somewhere outside of GRBStreamer preventing that from happening.

The only way GRBStreamer could foul up is if it went into an infinite loop. I will add code to test for that in the next release, along with a logging option.

Unfortunately, no System/Application log errors. See if in the next update, you can have an option to save and auto load a config upon start up.

Sounds that very likely then, there could had been an issue in one functions of the streamreader.dll which required an app restart. I do have to say the application was responsive so didn't appear an loop type condition was hit.

Unfortunately, no System/Application log errors. See if in the next update, you can have an option to save and auto load a config upon start up.

Sounds that very likely then, there could had been an issue in one functions of the streamreader.dll which required an app restart. I do have to say the application was responsive so didn't appear an loop type condition was hit.

that would be great to save the config. Mine will relock of I pull the coax for 4 secs then put back. Sometimes a few times. Now that I moved the bias tee close to the dish, it has stayed locked for 2 days straight now. Im using solar to power it all.

I really enjoy this thread guys. While most of it is beyond me without more research, I like seeing the hands on approach and the fabrication of the special needs equipment. It appears system integrity and stability is a must and I'm wondering , do you guys use "Stabilant 22a"? I have found the stuff invaluable in making noise free secure connections. I use it in all my PC builds.

Reactions: KWX and N6BY
Response from the CIMSS for CSPP Geo software.
We need to come up with a base band frame sample for them, I know I don't have anything here.
Hi Tim,

Thank you for your feedback and question. We are very excited to hear about your interest in our software. I can't give you an answer to your question right this second, but one of our programmers is looking into the feasibility of this. Would you be able to provide us with some sample GOES-16 base band frames from your receiver? We have an anonymous FTP server that you can post to

Thanks for the forum link. Several of my colleagues and I have read through a bit and it's pretty amazing what all of you are able to do and build.

Thanks,

~Jess
--------------

I left the link off for now as I don't want that here as of the moment.
Thanks Jess,
I'm patting myself on the back here and so should everyone else. :whoo:biggrin :biggrin :biggrin

Reactions: N6BY and KWX
Response from the CIMSS for CSPP Geo software.
We need to come up with a base band frame sample for them, I know I don't have anything here.
Hi Tim,

Thank you for your feedback and question. We are very excited to hear about your interest in our software. I can't give you an answer to your question right this second, but one of our programmers is looking into the feasibility of this. Would you be able to provide us with some sample GOES-16 base band frames from your receiver? We have an anonymous FTP server that you can post to

Thanks for the forum link. Several of my colleagues and I have read through a bit and it's pretty amazing what all of you are able to do and build.

Thanks,

~Jess
--------------

I left the link off for now as I don't want that here as of the moment.
Thanks Jess,
I'm patting myself on the back here and so should everyone else. :whoo:biggrin :biggrin :biggrin

Grbstreamer puts out the CADU frames, or bbframes. I have bbframe sample files if you need them. I beleve N6BY has them. CSPP-GEO works fine with the CADU output from GRBStreamer.

Whats that? lol

You can find more info here: Stabilant 22a
I'm looking to have the possibility of another ingest option for CSPP Geo, I talked about the reason a couple of posts back.
Maybe the 'Stabilant 22a' would alleviate the need to pull the coax and reconnect it periodically?
I don't know if that would solve the connection reconnection problem as that results in a receiver relock when doing that.

Last edited:
Hi Magic Static,
Welcome to the forum,
I again don't know if that compound will help here, don't mean it wouldn't work.
The issue here seems to be a hardware/software as the receiver has an issue with locking onto the Generic stream.
What we are doing here on this forum:
We are building ground stations (earth stations) for the hi res GOES weather satellite readout, the same data used by NOAA and weather forecasters.

Reactions: Magic Static
weather01089, Thanks, I will keep that in mind you have a sample files.
Yes, I want to see what Brett has got in his collection as well.
The only sample files I have are the ones weather01089 sent me. (I only had decent GRB reception for a couple of nights at 3AM several weeks ago).

Here is the most recent one that weather01089 sent me: https://www.naturalgfx.com/GRB_BBFrame_Stream.bin I will leave it up there on my website for a month or so.

Here is some information they might find helpful:
GRB BBFrame headers always contain the following 10 bytes: "71 00 00 00 E3 00 00 FF FF B9" The BB Frames are 7274 bytes including the header. All the CSPP Geo software has to do is identify and discard these 10 byte headers. What's left is a CADU stream. But the CADU frames are not aligned with the BB Frames, so additional synchronization is necessary. All CADU frames begin with "1A CF FC 1D".

This is a screen shot of a file dump with the BB Header highlighted:
Screen Shot 2018-03-20 at 7.44.02 PM.png

We are building ground stations (earth stations) for the hi res GOES weather satellite readout, the same data used by NOAA and weather forecasters.
Adding to this:

So far, only 'weather01089' and 'KWX' have managed to get reliable reception and GRB images. I have also gotten a few images, but reception in California is difficult. Currently the only operational GRB transmitter is GOES-East at 75W broadcasting at 1686.6 MHZ using both RHCP and LHCP polarization. Both polarities are on the same frequency, but each transmits different data.

To receive dual circular polarity, weather01089 is using a "septum" feed purchased from RF HAMDESIGN Each feed is connected to a Nooelec Sawbird+ filter/amplifier and then to either a TBS6903 or Digital Devices receiver. GRBStreamer reads from the DVB card and streams it to either GRBDump or CSPP Geo to create images.

KWX is using a can antenna with 2 probes at 90 degrees apart. The probes are connected to a 90 degree combiner, and followed by a series of filters and amplifiers. Its connected to a TBS6925. And then the stream is processed using the same software that weather01089 is using.

Sometime in mid-May, GOES-17 will light up at 89.5W. And then in the Fall it will move to its final position at 137W. When its at 89.5W, GOES 12 GVAR user will have a much stronger signal in Iowa and a better chance to receive GRB. It might even be close enough for me.

There are several vendors selling GRB earth stations for 10's of thousands of dollars. With the combined efforts of our group here, we have brought the cost down to a few hundred dollars. We have come a long way since September and have something to be proud of!

Reactions: Magic Static
I put those 2 images in the photo editor program and removed the "blue hue". I think that looks quite good for a color image even though it's not the RGB color image.
I am so used to grayscale with what I have been working with.
GeocolorM.jpg

FalsecolorM.jpg

Reactions: KWX
I put those 2 images in the photo editor program and removed the "blue hue". I think that looks quite good for a color image even though it's not the RGB color image.
I am so used to grayscale with what I have been working with.

Definitely not bad at all. Now, I'm starting to find it hard to go back to grayscale. LOL!!!

I played with those images a little more, I have a RGB image to compare to.
RGB from the SSEC
index.png

Geo color
GeocolorM 2.jpg

True Color
FalsecolorM 2.jpg

The last 2 KWX have only one little issue and it's that blue tint that's added to the higher clouds. Otherwise the GEO color looks close to the RGB image.
You can see the green foliage in the GEO color image as the RGB image.

In news here, I have yet another receiver coming from Russia. When it gets here I will be able to another file dump.

Reactions: N6BY and KWX