Golf channel was added today

lsh1885 said:
Well, I am not a huge golf fan either, but at least you don't have to pay another 12.00 a month (Sports Pack) to get it, like you do at Directv.
We'll be paying for sure when ESPN comes. Voom's website and other marketing information used to list the Sports pkg. Hopefully, it's not $12.

I hate the SciFi channel. They take classic SciFi and turn it into cheap sh*t and ruin it. Most of there original programming sucks. They should do like MonstersHD and just play SciFi movies uncut and I'd start watching it again. I don't need original SciFi stuff with a low budget and C list actors, or actors who are recovering from drugs.

Buts thats just my opinion.

I love how voom wastes "valuable bandwidth" on a channel like this. If bandwidth was a real premium, I highly doubt the golf channel would be a top priority. Speaking of priorities, why is voom talking to the golf channel and not adding ESPN?? Resources can be put to better use.

red ufo said:
I hate the SciFi channel. They take classic SciFi and turn it into cheap sh*t and ruin it. Most of there original programming sucks. They should do like MonstersHD and just play SciFi movies uncut and I'd start watching it again. I don't need original SciFi stuff with a low budget and C list actors, or actors who are recovering from drugs.

Buts thats just my opinion.

I always thought Sci-fi blew it by not getting Star Trek Next Gen. and DS9. Captain Kirk just isn't as cool as he used to be.

I love how voom wastes "valuable bandwidth" on a channel like this. If bandwidth was a real premium, I highly doubt the golf channel would be a top priority. Speaking of priorities, why is voom talking to the golf channel and not adding ESPN?? Resources can be put to better use.
I can't prove this but it seems intuitive. The Golf channel's average viewer probably has a substantial income. Voom, and everybody else, tries to court those folks. I too want ESPN on Voom, but I don't think ESPN and other channels are mutually exclusive. That new MS codec looks looks it will clear up a ton of space.

Good

Apparently, you guys don't golf. Personally I appreciate it, but I am a golfer and is good move for golf fanatics who would be considering VOOM. If you know golf fanitics and I do. They wouldn't even consider VOOM without the golf channel, even though there is more HD then everywhere else that's just how golf lunatics think. The golf channel was a consderation when I first looked at voom, but I still have cable so I can get by without it.

VOOM good move with the Golf channel, but still ESPN is a must.

Man, dump this Golf Channel and just have Bikini beach HD thong edition from Brazil, France, Miami Beach.

I'm not a golf fan either, but I caught a game in HD once and it was impressive. Golf in SD, could not be more boring. Like car racing or sex, it is much more fun to participate than watch. I think Voom just adds the golf and tennis channels because they are practically free. ESPN, of course, is going to cost them an arm and a leg, but it is what most users want.

Initial investors in The Golf Channel included a consortium of six multiple system cable operators (MSO's), including Continental Cablevision, Comcast Cable Communications, Newhouse Broadcasting, Cablevision Industries, Adelphia Communications, and Times Mirror Company. More than $80 million was secured to finance The Golf Channel's launch on January 17, 1995.
Cablevision is or was a part owner of the Golf Channel.

Vince2 said:
I'm not a golf fan either, but I caught a game in HD once and it was impressive. Golf in SD, could not be more boring. Like car racing or sex, it is much more fun to participate than watch. I think Voom just adds the golf and tennis channels because they are practically free. ESPN, of course, is going to cost them an arm and a leg, but it is what most users want.
A lot Golfers watch the Golf channel for golf instruction (The Golf Academy) not the golf. Golf in SD sucks with a big screen.

PBHDinSD said:
A lot Golfers watch the Golf channel for golf instruction (The Golf Academy) not the golf.

Yes, and the fashion shows. LOL.

Really though, that is a good point and one I overlooked. I do realize the sport is huge and desrves its own channel, but Voom should focus on adding only HD channels IMHO. Otherwise, they are just another Dish network.

I tell ya, some of you guys are SO impatient. Who knows what Voom has in store for us - I would think it would only improve. Also, I would think they can only add channels when the red tape is complete. Some of the ones (HD) we really want may take a little longer and the process may be more involved. I am personally a golf nut, but at the same time I want more HD too. Give 'em a chance. In the meantime I imagine we'll see these "onsies/twosies" pop up on the way to bigger and better things. Remember, good things come to those who wait.

i would rather they put up a horse racing channel (tvg or another)and with internet betting.i'll be happier then golf..it's ok to play, but watch in SD?? now horse racing, we cant play but bet $2.00 (or more :)) try sleeping thru that

t77054 said:
I tell ya, some of you guys are SO impatient. Who knows what Voom has in store for us - I would think it would only improve. Also, I would think they can only add channels when the red tape is complete. Some of the ones (HD) we really want may take a little longer and the process may be more involved. I am personally a golf nut, but at the same time I want more HD too. Give 'em a chance. In the meantime I imagine we'll see these "onsies/twosies" pop up on the way to bigger and better things. Remember, good things come to those who wait.
Really i do agree with this post 100%(just kidding about golf)

Interesting. I guess i'm in the minority, but I'm really happy they added this channel. I actually paid for it when I had D*.

I have never watched it on my D* but will tonight on Voom . Did anyone see the Masters in HD on CBS .....? It looked great and my wife watched it with me...she hates sports....to bad ....for her....but I like Baseball and BASEBALL Oh and Football and so on. I think Voom is smart in adding it and ESPN will be here Soon. BTW most CSR at Voom don't know when their adding channels so why do you think that Voom site doesn't post it ...they don't know. We are more informed here with you guys and gals on this forum.....Just keep adding channels Voom.....Because everything will be HD someday. HD=Voom

Mr. Biggles said:
Interesting. I guess i'm in the minority, but I'm really happy they added this channel. I actually paid for it when I had D*.

Count me a minority too. I am glad they added it, and very, very glad that I don't have to pay $12 per month to get it like I did with D*. Ditto for Fox Sports World, which I also enjoy watching occasionally -- on D*, you only get that as part of the $12 "sports pack" (all of which is SD, of course), but with Voom its part of the basic service. This just adds to my feeling that I am getting a much better deal with Voom than I did with D*.

Yes, I wish Golf Channel and Fox Sports World were in HD, because golf and soccer both look dramatically better in HD. (Duh -- what doesn't look dramatically better in HD?) But SD is better than nothing. And the Golf Channel is not just about covering golf tournaments -- they run a lot of golf instructional videos, and chat/interview programs which are sort of like SportsCenter, but all golf, all the time (they say every man has his own private vision of hell, and I'm sure for some that would be it!).

And yes, I want to see them add ESPN as well. I assume that for some reason they were able to negotiate a deal more quickly with the Golf Channel than with ESPN, but I'm sure the latter will happen too.

Personally, I don't care about HGTV, but if it has a lot of fans, sure, add that one too.
The only thing I don't want added under any circumstances: Home shopping channels! I don't want to have to flip through them, or even see them on the program guide.

Thanks Rang. And yes, we all are different and have different channel interests. But, the common thread is HD and everyone will be happy when more of it is added. Oh, and PDQ, yes I saw the CBS HD feed of the Masters...excellent! Granted, it was shared with the SD cameras too. But when it was HD, it was truly awesome. One of the best Masters ever IMO. And what a finish...way to go Phil!

babyj said:
yaaaay! GOOOOOOOOOOOOLF.

i am tryin to get excited but i just cant. :D

Geez, didn't any of you guys watch the Masters? One of the greatest most exciting sporting events I've ever witnessed, AND in HD.

The Golf Ch. is OK. Lots of 1/2 hour infomercials, but they do have the Golf Academy, and the hot Tina Mickelson (Phil's sister).

While VOOM caters to HD nuts, I've waited until just a few days ago since they added some of my favorite SD channels, such as Fox News, to jump on board.

Honestly, they are only a few SD channels away from offering just about the majority of what people watch. I was amazed when I compared the VOOM channel listing to my current Dish Network one (Voom not installed yet). There's so much crap on Dish Network that I never watch. VOOM has all the fat trimmed away.

Honestly, they could add ESPN, Sci-Fi, TechTV, and perhaps USA and they'd have all the major Cable Networks covered that are worth covering. From that point on, I'd just stick to offering HD only content and add HD versions of the SD channels as they become available.

It would be nice to see some PPV sports pacakges eventually as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)