Good Deal or not

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mr.silverado

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2008
I have the opportunity to pick up a 13 ft fiberglass dish with actuator, receiver and amp for free, but I have to take it off the pole. He says the dish is about 25 feet up. I can also pick up a 10 ft. mesh dish (which looks very similiar to the winegard I saw on this site earlier, but it'll cost me $50 canadian for the dish and LNB only. I was thinking of buying the mesh dish, taking down the fiberglass one, and then using the mesh dish in it's place. Is buying the mesh dish worth it, or should I just take the freebie?

I would pass on the fiberglass unless you have a crane, or some really big strong guys to help.
Fiberglass degrades in the sun, and who knows how accurate the surface of it is after years in the sun. Just the weight of one of those things decides for me! I'd keep looking for a freebie, unless you're in an area that is really devoid of satellite dishes, you should be able to find one free for the taking.

Is buying the mesh dish worth it, or should I just take the freebie?
this freebie will be a lot of work. its very heavy if you can see what kind of feedhorn it has ( a c & ku band feedhorm might be worth the recovery). this dish sounds high and dangerous, don't see a way to get it off the pole that high up without (like mentioned above) a crane
So if you try be very careful!

a mesh dish would be much easier to work with & move

I thank you for the advice. The guy did tell me that his dish is in sections, but I think I'll pass on it, and find a mesh one somewhere. I have seen some not too far away from home, so I might stop and inquire about them. I'll also call the guy with the mesh dish and see if he's willing to give it away.

I went and looked at the mesh dish yesterday. It's in excellent shape and has already been taken down. I just have to load it up. The guy also found the actuator and receiver for it, so it'll be a complete system. He still wants $50 for it. He did mention that it will require the new converter box to receive the digital signals once they finish switching from analog. I'd prefer a unit for free, but not having to dismantle anything is almost woth the $50.

I'd prefer a unit for free, but not having to dismantle anything is almost woth the $50.

I agree, it would probably take a few hours to do what he has already done. One thing I would do is stringline the dish to make sure it isn't warped. This should be easy to do unless he has taken apart the sections. Do you know what brand it is?

He did mention that it will require the new converter box to receive the digital signals once they finish switching from analog.

The digital transition is for over the air only. It has nothing to do with satellite.

You won't need a converter unless you're using a TV with an analog only tuner with an antenna.

I didn't see the brand name on it. Only that it is black in color. I think I'll have to go back and take a closer look. It's hard to tell from just looking at it, but it didn't look warped, but who knows. Do you know of some brand names that are qood quality?

I didn't think I would have a problem with the digital signal, as I'm already receiving digital signals with my ku-bands.

Thanks for the help gentlemen. Greatly appreciated.

I have the opportunity to pick up a 13 ft fiberglass dish with actuator, receiver and amp for free, but I have to take it off the pole. He says the dish is about 25 feet up.

I highly recommend you charge the owner a fee for taking this down and hauling it away.

In fact, this could be a small part time work for someone looking for some extra income.

You could make a flyer that says:

"Satellite Dish Removal Service"
Insured - Bonded
Fees including removal, hauling away, and landfill fees:

18"-48" Dish: $60-$100 (depends on the complexity of the removal)
6'-10' Mesh Dish: $200
10-14' Dish (Solid or Mesh): $300 + any crane fees if needed
14'+ : Call for a FREE Estimate.

------------

Then after you take the dish down, you can salavage any working parts (LNBs,Feedhorns,Actuators, Polar mounts, etc). Then sell the metal junk to a scrap yard.
If the dish is in good shape, clean it up (maybe a small touch will go a long way), then sell it on CRAIG's List or eBay.

There you go.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)