Good Friday Shocker - MASN Added to E*

I watched the replay of the Nats/DBacks game last night at midnight, looked pretty darn good.

And that Yankees/Orioles game was fantastic this afternoon!

What TV are you using, and how far back are you sitting? I watched on a HDTV and a SDTV and it looked just as bad as the Wizards games on CSMA.

I should clarify that all the long shots look awful to me, while the closeups look good.

Was anyone else blacked out of Sat. nites Nats/d'backs game? I live in western VA and was told by E* that it must have been carried local, which I can't get because I don't qualify. So no live baseball again tonite thanks to E*, bud selig and GOD know who else!!!!!! ):

You have to order the $5 additional Sports Channel Package; not a bad deal considering you get MSG from NY and all other RSN's around the country.

Yeah, looked fine for me too. Hey jrbdmb--are you getting MASN and MASN2 yet? I'm in Southcentral PA as well (about 5 miles east of Gettysburg) and am getting them both fine.

Another option for you VA-DC-MD based customers who are not getting MASN is to "move". You may find a zip code that holds the same locals while also getting the MASN's.
Just checked again ... I have both MASNs. All all live Orioles games are blacked out, but the replays are in the clear. :what I couldn't find any Nats games in the next few days, but if I remember the live games on the weekend were blacked out as well.

This is for a Chambersburg PA ZIP (17201). A "move" to the east towards Gettyburg might get me more baseball, but then I'd lose the D.C. / Harrisburg locals that I currently get. :(

(Or maybe I need to reset my receivers again.)

Edit - apparently everyone is getting to see Orioles replays in the clear, so it would appear that Franklin County PA is not considered part of MASN "home" territory. Disappointing, considering that the county is part of the D.C. DMA and I could see Orioles games in the clear last year on CSN-MidAtlantic. I guess an e-mail to ceo@echostar.com is appropriate to confirm this.

Last edited:
On Friday afternoon before I was to head out to work I checked the EPG and was very surprised to see MASN and MASN2. This saved a change for me as I was going to change to the other satellite provider if this wasn't added very soon. I have been a DISH sub for a number of years and didn't really want to change but would have if needed. I did notice that the Nationals games this week that are scheduled for MASN2 were not in the EPG as of last night. They will be there later won't they?

Do, can anyone in Franklin County, PA (ZIPs 172xx) to see the Orioles or Nats? For my setup with a Chambersburg PA address (ZIP 17201 xx), I am blacked out for these teams, where last year the O's games on CSN-MidAtlantic were available. It appears that Franklin Co. was excluded from the MASN deal, but I'd like a confirmation of this from other E* subs out there.

Thanks for the info.

Was anyone else blacked out of Sat. nites Nats/d'backs game? I live in western VA and was told by E* that it must have been carried local, which I can't get because I don't qualify. So no live baseball again tonite thanks to E*, bud selig and GOD know who else!!!!!! ):

The Nats game Saturday was on channel 20 and a huge portion of the DC/Baltimore market was blacked out.

I called DISH and MASN to complain, since Channel 20 isn't a local to me (although I can pick it up with an amplified outdoor antenna). DISH read off a long list of zip codes they're supposed to block out.

The operator at MASN didn't even know they were on DISH yet.

I thought that all of the Ch.20 games were on Friday. this is going to be confusing.

Do, can anyone in Franklin County, PA (ZIPs 172xx) to see the Orioles or Nats? For my setup with a Chambersburg PA address (ZIP 17201 xx), I am blacked out for these teams, where last year the O's games on CSN-MidAtlantic were available. It appears that Franklin Co. was excluded from the MASN deal, but I'd like a confirmation of this from other E* subs out there.

Thanks for the info.
I'll look later when I get home to see if I have MASN.
My Chambersburg address of 17201 doesn't show it qualifying for MASN, but my York address of 17403 does.
Probably a case of them not updating the zip of 17201 in the RSN database (you'll notice the address qualifier does give any superstations for 17201, even though it should).

As for blacking out, Baseball has a set of zipcodes for each teams market. If 17201 is not in the O's list, then it's blackouts for 17201.

I thought that all of the Ch.20 games were on Friday. this is going to be confusing.

What is even more confusing is that many zip codes in the region are being told by DISH that they are eligible for CSNMA but not for MASN. It makes no sense.

I'm assuming it's a mistake, but until someone from MASN/MLB steps up and straightens it out, a lot of VA and PA subscribers are getting screwed.

On another note, I wish someone would tell DISH that there are post game shows on MASN2 after every ballgame. Right now they are pulling the plug right after the last out and going back to that wonderful DISH logo. I wanted to watch Nats Xtra after yesterday's game to see how it compares to O's Xtra, but no dice (just logo).

As for blacking out, Baseball has a set of zipcodes for each teams market. If 17201 is not in the O's list, then it's blackouts for 17201.
Found a utility showing who's market you belong to and therefore should not see blackout at http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/subscriptions/mlbtv.jsp

For Chambersburg (17201), you belong to the following teams and should not see blackouts:
  • Washington Nationals
  • Baltimore Orioles
  • Pittsburgh Pirates

For Chambersburg (17201), you belong to the following teams and should not see blackouts:
  • Washington Nationals
  • Baltimore Orioles
  • Pittsburgh Pirates

Ah the Pirates. Back when the big dish had sports, I was allowed to watch the Orioles and the Pirates in Central MD. Now my zip (21784) is clearly outside of the Pirates region.

On an unrelated note, why is Chambersburg allowed to receive both Harrisburg and DC locals(I saw this on the DISH website while checking the MASN problem)? I'm closer to DC than Chambersburg is and am limited to Baltimore only.

I emailed both MASN and DISH about:
- Saturday's blackout of the Nats outside of DC proper;
- the zip code problem with regions being excluded seemingly in error; and
- MASN2 not being live for pre and post game shows.

We'll see what kind of canned response they come up with.

On an unrelated note, why is Chambersburg allowed to receive both Harrisburg and DC locals(I saw this on the DISH website while checking the MASN problem)? I'm closer to DC than Chambersburg is and am limited to Baltimore only.
Franklin County, PA was moved from the Washington DMA to the Harrisburg DMA. A portion of the law allows them to get both the new and old.

Checked my system. No MASN for me.
But I do not have the multi-sport package, so looks like Franklin County only gets CSN-Mid-Atlantic.
To get Pirates & Oreo games, I'd likely need to sub to the multi-sport package to see them. There should be no blackouts, at least there weren't back when I had the pack and watched a few Pirates games (to see the Braves play them :D )

Well, I have Multi-Sport, get MASN and MASN2, and all the live games are blacked out. :( Remember that even though a ZIP may be included in the home area of the Orioles and Nats, Dish still has to pay whatever $$$ it costs to actually show the games in that area. Unless there's a screw-up on this, it would appear that Dish saved a few $$$ by not buying MASN for those in the 172xx ZIPs.

What is even more confusing is that many zip codes in the region are being told by DISH that they are eligible for CSNMA but not for MASN. It makes no sense.

I'm assuming it's a mistake, but until someone from MASN/MLB steps up and straightens it out, a lot of VA and PA subscribers are getting screwed.

On another note, I wish someone would tell DISH that there are post game shows on MASN2 after every ballgame. Right now they are pulling the plug right after the last out and going back to that wonderful DISH logo. I wanted to watch Nats Xtra after yesterday's game to see how it compares to O's Xtra, but no dice (just logo).

It may not be a mistake. Sometimes the different providers buy the rights to the programming for different area. I would write ceo@echosar.com and see if you can get what you want. I would not expect a CSR to be of much help. Of course you could "move" toa nearby zip as others have hinted.

Last edited:
Well, I have Multi-Sport, get MASN and MASN2, and all the live games are blacked out. :( Remember that even though a ZIP may be included in the home area of the Orioles and Nats, Dish still has to pay whatever $$$ it costs to actually show the games in that area. Unless there's a screw-up on this, it would appear that Dish saved a few $$$ by not buying MASN for those in the 172xx ZIPs.
That should only affect Dish including MASN & MASN2 in the basic packages (minus multi-sport). Whether Dish blacks out the games or not in the multi-sport does not affect what rates they pay.
Dish basically forgot to add the zipcodes into the database for non-blackouts.

I don't think that is correct. When each provider negotiated a rate with a station the coverage area is one of the things that affects the rte. This could be a mistake or there may be an odd coverage pattern here. we do not know.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)