Goodbye DISH.....Hello DirecTV.....

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

RedWings

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
Leesburg, VA
Scheduled an install for this weekend.

2 HD-DVRs
2 HD
Whole-Home DVR
DECA

Not having my HD channels on Center Ice due to Dish's issues with Fox is just BS. Then sitting here trying to figure out what to do if they lose my local Fox channel on November 1 is what really set me off.

The only thing I'll miss is Red Zone Channel. Not worth getting the ticket just for that.

Welcome, let us know your impressions!, seeing your avatar you wont have any issues with FOX RSN Detroit in full HD!

I switched over to DirecTV last week. I will echo that DirecTV's HD PQ is slightly better than Dish's, and yes the reason I left was because of the ridiculous fights between Fox and MSG networks over their channels.

I can't wait to see what the churn #'s will be for the last quarter on Dish. I'd put the over/under on 350,000.

John

Another Dish to Direct switcher

Just got my 3 HR-24s and 3 H-24s hooked up on Friday. Love the MRV setup, and the HD picture quality is definitely better than on Dish. The only thing I really miss from Dish is PIP and recording 3 college games at once on one DVR. If I could schedule all my DVR's from one, that would take care of the latter. As it is, I just use my laptop to schedule games to record on the other DVRs and that works OK. The Doubleplay is pretty good, but not nearly as nice as PIP.

The inability to schedule recordings on other DVR's from another DVR is something I hope they fix in upcoming software releases. Since you can do it from the receivers, there is no reason you shouldn't be able to do it with DVR as well. The laptop idea is a good one.

Oh....and to the OP and the other new DirecTV subscribers,

:welcome

I'm ready. Is there anywhere here that recommends local installers (PHX)?

Just got my 3 HR-24s and 3 H-24s hooked up on Friday. Love the MRV setup, and the HD picture quality is definitely better than on Dish. The only thing I really miss from Dish is PIP and recording 3 college games at once on one DVR. If I could schedule all my DVR's from one, that would take care of the latter. As it is, I just use my laptop to schedule games to record on the other DVRs and that works OK. The Doubleplay is pretty good, but not nearly as nice as PIP.

Thats a bummer about PiP. I enjoyed it on my Dish receivers but it is not a deal breaker. I think what I really liked was the ability to switch between tuners (when in single mode) really fast. A lot faster than hitting the previous channel button.

Anyone know if you can do this with DTV's receivers? Switch between tuners.

Thats a bummer about PiP. I enjoyed it on my Dish receivers but it is not a deal breaker. I think what I really liked was the ability to switch between tuners (when in single mode) really fast. A lot faster than hitting the previous channel button.

Anyone know if you can do this with DTV's receivers? Switch between tuners
yes

When you get the remote it will make more sense. Basically, you hit the down arrow button twice and this activates both tuners. To switch between the two programs on both tuners you just hit the down arrow

Last edited:
Another question. The installer said he was going to be hooking up a DECA for On-Demand stuff.

Is the on-demand any good? I remember what Dish had to offer which was pretty much nothing. Now a buddy has it with cable and there is tons of FREE stuff to watch.

Another question. The installer said he was going to be hooking up a DECA for On-Demand stuff.

Is the on-demand any good? I remember what Dish had to offer which was pretty much nothing. Now a buddy has it with cable and there is tons of FREE stuff to watch.
From what others have posted. Much better than Dish but not as good as cable. One nice thing is the VOD channels are similar to their corresponding channel by placing a 1 in front. For example, Discovery is channel 278 and Discovery VOD is channel 1278

Night and day difference. It's not like Ondemand from Comcast but it's a lot better than Dish.

i'm seriously considering making the switch and i have a couple programming questions. does direct have palladia and hdnet? also, are any of the encore movie channels in hd?

i'm seriously considering making the switch and i have a couple programming questions. does direct have palladia and hdnet? also, are any of the encore movie channels in hd?

Palladia and HDNet are on DirecTv. Palladia HD is part of their HD Extra pack ($5/mth).

DirecTv has 1 Encore HD channel

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)