Goodbye DISH.....Hello DirecTV.....

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I still have Dish at my Home, although my programing commitment has severely dwindled. I'm still bent over the explosion of the extra receiver fees on Dish I had 4 extra Dual DVR's (so my bill on Dish went up by $48 per month). I dropped from Everything to Top 250 and dropped the premiums, and got Platinum free for 3 months.

Fox wants an increase in programing fees, but not the increase Dish is trying to tell their subscribers. What Fox wants is the Regional sports Nets to be in EVERY Chanel Package. So Dish is using extra subscriber fees that would be required to get the regionals into the lowest Dish Package, into a general percentage increase, its not an apples to apples argument. The actual fee increase that is requested is on the order of pennies per subscriber.

In the end, I want the channels I want, and if Dish is unwilling or unable to deliver, then they are "HASTA LAVISTA, BABY". BTW I still own Echostar Stock Shares.

John

In the end, I want the channels I want, and if Dish is unwilling or unable to deliver, then they are "HASTA LAVISTA, BABY". BTW I still own Echostar Stock Shares.

John

This is what it comes down to for me also. I am not loyal to any one company that I pay for their service. So I gave Dish the benefit of the doubt at the beginning of the month figuring they'd get something worked out. Then it stretched into the NHL season where we can only get a few HD game feeds in the Center Ice package. Now people are threatened with losing their local fox station.

There is no light at the end of the tunnel. I had no agreement with them, so I looked out for myself and I'd rather pay for what I want instead of paying Dish, not getting the channels I want, and supporting them through all of this.

They aren't looking out for their subscribers like many say. They are looking out for their bottom line. Time to figure something out because you can't go on being competitive when you can't even air the stations people want to see.

Noob Quesiton....

Is a phone line connected to each receiver still required? Or have they done away with this?

Noob Quesiton....

Is a phone line connected to each receiver still required? Or have they done away with this?

Nope. Haven't had a phone line hooked up to mine in seven years. But I think it limits your ability to order PPV from the box - but you can do that online anyway.

Nope. Haven't had a phone line hooked up to mine in seven years. But I think it limits your ability to order PPV from the box - but you can do that online anyway.

PPV is not my thing so i'm fine w/o it.

What would be cool is to see them integrate Caller ID into their whole home DVR system. Just plug a phone line into the switch and it displays on every TV with a receiver.

Or maybe D* believes landlines are on their way out and not worth the effort.

PPV is not my thing so i'm fine w/o it.

What would be cool is to see them integrate Caller ID into their whole home DVR system. Just plug a phone line into the switch and it displays on every TV with a receiver.

Or maybe D* believes landlines are on their way out and not worth the effort.

I wish you could plug a phone line into any of the receivers and have the CID info shown on all TV's connected to the DECA cloud. I wouldn't think there's a technical reason it can't be done - just that they haven't done it yet.

I wish you could plug a phone line into any of the receivers and have the CID info shown on all TV's connected to the DECA cloud. I wouldn't think there's a technical reason it can't be done - just that they haven't done it yet.
Probably because phone frequency is different than that carried via DECA.

well, i just called dishstore and scheduled an install. i couldn't believe they had an open appointment for this saturday! that means i'll be able to cancel dish before the next bill hits :)

Watching the Wing's game in sd on dish's center ice package. Can't wait for my d* install on Saturday. Getting the wings back in HD will make my weekend.

I just had my D* installed last Sunday. I wished I had switch sooner. The picture quality is better than E*, also the audio to my AV receiver is clearer due to I believe a better SN number than E*. As a soccer fan, I am in soccer heaven. I can watched all of the Europa league games and Champions leagues. The Sports Mix is the same as what I was getting with Sky in England. I really wanted that so bad. As a E* previous employee, I can say that the service I have received so far "fingers cross" is better than E*. I had to replace a SD STB with a HD STD due to LOS, and I asked for a H24, and lo and behold, Fedex delivered it. Now I have 1- HR24 and 3 H24.
E8 sub should switch and see what they are missing.

Yeah I have been really looking into getting D* but I have had E* since 1999. And most of the people I know have E* here in Oklahoma. I don't know if it is just a regional thing but it just seems like more people have E* here. All of my family and most of my friends have E* for whatever reason so it's hard for me to switch since I have no idea how D* is setup and how the DVR's are compared to E*.

But I'm itching to get my FX and Fox Sports SW back since it's really sucking not having those, especially FSSW during football season and soon to be basketball season. :confused:

Last edited:
Yeah I have been really looking into getting D* but I have had E* since 1999. And most of the people I know have E* here in Oklahoma. I don't know if it is just a regional thing but it just seems like more people have E* here. All of my family and most of my friends have E* for whatever reason so it's hard for me to switch since I have no idea how D* is setup and how the DVR's are compared to E*.

But I'm itching to get my FX and Fox Sports SW back since it's really sucking not having those, especially FSSW during football season and soon to be basketball season. :confused:

Hey doogie,

I'm in OKC and I just switched from Dish to Direct last weekend, and I love it so far. Went from a 722 and two 622's with Dish to three HR24's and three H24s. I made the switch because of college football and Thunder games on FSSW, and what everyone else is saying about the picture quality is right; Direct's HD is much sharper and less compressed than Dish's. Also, a bonus I wasn't even expecting is getting FSSW in full-time HD. I watch the Big 12 No-huddle show that is a compressed hour long replay of each of the previous weekend's Big 12 games, and if the game was broadcast in HD, the No-huddle shows it in HD, which is really nice.

I used Graves satellite and got a great deal, along with great service and guaranteed 24's for my receivers. Make the switch and you won't regret it.

Hey doogie,

I'm in OKC and I just switched from Dish to Direct last weekend, and I love it so far. Went from a 722 and two 622's with Dish to three HR24's and three H24s. I made the switch because of college football and Thunder games on FSSW, and what everyone else is saying about the picture quality is right; Direct's HD is much sharper and less compressed than Dish's. Also, a bonus I wasn't even expecting is getting FSSW in full-time HD. I watch the Big 12 No-huddle show that is a compressed hour long replay of each of the previous weekend's Big 12 games, and if the game was broadcast in HD, the No-huddle shows it in HD, which is really nice.

I used Graves satellite and got a great deal, along with great service and guaranteed 24's for my receivers. Make the switch and you won't regret it.

Hey stev,
Thanks for the reply. It's good to see fellow Okie's on here. That is pretty nice about the Big 12 No Huddle being in HD. I've watched that quite a few times but of course only in SD since FSSW is only part-time. I too have a 722 and a 622, so how was the adjustment from Dish's DVR's to Directv's?

I also was looking at Graves satellite since I have heard you're not guaranteed to get HR24's and H24's unless you go local. How was your experience with them?

Do you get the same programming package that is available now from D* when you order from local retailers or DishStore?
I guess I'm just wondering what is the difference between ordering local vs direct with D*.

Thanks!

Yes you get the same packages and promos. Sometimes ordering from a local.retailer may result in them throwing in something extra.

For me the difference is you create a relationship with that retailer so if anything happens you may be able to get a problem resolved.faster. also if you are looking to upgrade the process may be easier with that retailer.

I like supporting my local businesses when I can.

Last thing I noticed is my local retailer was passionate about what he does. You could tell he was asking the right questions so I was prepared before the installation.

Watching the Wing's game in sd on dish's center ice package. Can't wait for my d* install on Saturday. Getting the wings back in HD will make my weekend.

Watching the Wings in HD, for sure a good thing!!! :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)