Goodbye DISH.....Hello DirecTV.....

Status
Please reply by conversation.
i had my install yesterday. it went ok. they had to do a pole mount. i'll post general impressions a little later - but first i have a question about two issues.

1. i have to point the remote at the hr24 dvr. this receiver isn't RF capable?

2. this morning the video was jumpy and when i changed the channel, the video would freeze but i would get audio from the channel i changed to. i looked at the troubleshooting guide and it advised resetting the dvr. i did and it fixed the problem. i'm just hoping this will not be an ongoing issue.

i had my install yesterday. it went ok. they had to do a pole mount. i'll post general impressions a little later - but first i have a question about two issues.

1. i have to point the remote at the hr24 dvr. this receiver isn't RF capable?

2. this morning the video was jumpy and when i changed the channel, the video would freeze but i would get audio from the channel i changed to. i looked at the troubleshooting guide and it advised resetting the dvr. i did and it fixed the problem. i'm just hoping this will not be an ongoing issue.
It should be. Which receiver do you have?

hr24-200. it says directv + hd dvr on the front of the dvr.

is there a setting in setup to change it from IR to RF?
This could have changed. But the last time I did it I did these steps:

1. press and hold MUTE & SELECT for two blinks
2. enter 9 6 1
3. press CH UP
4. enter the last 6 digits of the receiver ID #, found on a sticker in the access card compartment.
5. press SELECT

hr24-200. it says directv + hd dvr on the front of the dvr.

is there a setting in setup to change it from IR to RF?

Yeah it comes defaulted to IR.

Menu > Favs/Setup > System Setup > Remote Control > Program Remote > Advanced > IR/RF Setup

Switch remote type to RF, then just follow the on-screen directions. The code you have to enter will be unique to your receiver.

It has the RF receiver built in (therefore should access the setting the same way), but doesn't come with an RF remote. Gotta buy it separate.

I'm on the fence at this time and I know I have to act soon to take advantage of DTVs offer which will save us a bunch of money per month for the 2 year period. I'm hoping D will add more HD channels like TCMHD and hopefully others. If my wife can't watch Glee and House nextweek, I will be sleeping with the coyotes (and not the sports team!:D). I'm not into sports as much as most people here, more Discovery, Science Ch., etc. Any advice on EQ and install would be nice! Thanks!

Jeff

Wow...MAJOR disappointment from DirecTV.

Before the install date I called and asked about adding the Red Zone channel. The CSR said it was part of the Sunday Ticket only. I said I will cancel my order if I can't get Red Zone and stay with Dish. After a few minutes on hold she came back and said it could be added for free but she couldn't add it until after the activiation because they had no way of changing the order. I asked her to note that on my account which she did.

Install was on Saturday so I called today about getting the Red Zone added. They transfered me to the programming dept. which said they can't do it. They even said they see the note on the account and that I was told false information. So I asked to be transfered to someone who can disconnect my service. Same story....Without Sunday Ticket they can't add the channel. Again, the CSR said that he sees the note on the account and is sorry for the false information.

I then asked if he could then just add sunday ticket for free since it was their promise and their mistake. Nope.

My only options? Live without it, pay $300 for the Sunday ticket, or pay $460 to terminate my service. This is after I wrote a $300 check this past weekend for the boxes.

Nice bait and switch DirecTV.

So I called DirecTV back and spoke to retentions again. Explained the situation and the lady on the other end said since we promised something, they will see what they can do to take care of me. She asked about what I had to pay Dish and came back with me paying 3 months for the price of a similar sports package and they'd give me the Sunday ticket. Sounds like a killer deal to me even though I was mislead to believe they'd add it for free. Better than nothing I guess.

So I guess they aren't TOO bad.

But they should bundle the NFL RedZone channel into their ~$12/mth sports package. That would attract a lot of people that wouldn't get the sunday ticket anyway. There is only probably a few subs that actually pay the Sunday ticket price for just Red Zone.

So I called DirecTV back and spoke to retentions again. Explained the situation and the lady on the other end said since we promised something, they will see what they can do to take care of me. She asked about what I had to pay Dish and came back with me paying 3 months for the price of a similar sports package and they'd give me the Sunday ticket. Sounds like a killer deal to me even though I was mislead to believe they'd add it for free. Better than nothing I guess.

So I guess they aren't TOO bad.

But they should bundle the NFL RedZone channel into their ~$12/mth sports package. That would attract a lot of people that wouldn't get the sunday ticket anyway. There is only probably a few subs that actually pay the Sunday ticket price for just Red Zone.
That is why they will not do it. They do not want to lose the subs that are willing to pay the full price for ST

That is why they will not do it. They do not want to lose the subs that are willing to pay the full price for ST

Depends on the numbers I guess. I figure for every Sunday Ticket sub that would go the cheaper route, they'd need an additional 2 that would go that route that weren't Sunday Ticket subs.

I don't see that as a far stretch if they market it right.

Good to hear that they may worksomething out, Redzone only would be a nice touch (coming from a sunday ticket sub) but like Dodger said....with them being exclusive to the ticket they may not want to see subs moving away from Sunday ticket, though I think many would not as they dont like the concept of Redzone

I left last year because they did not carry foxAz full time HD or Suns games on 33-HD. Well good thing I did leave, looks like all the Fox channels are going on November 1, and Fox unlike others does have the control and Dish will have to give in or take a big hit down the road when contracts expire. I support Fox over Dish who does this on a yearly bases and is making millions in profit and only screwing the customers over a couple bucks they want to pocket. Dish Profit margin is way above Direct. Believe me they are not saving the Dish subscriber a dime even though they claim to be fighting for you is total BS. Like I said their profit margin is way above Direct per subscriber. It all goes in there pocket where they can say they are cheaper than Direct. Meanwhile subs suffer. I put up with it almost yearly for 10 years.

I'm setup for tomorrow with a local. 2-HR24s on the truck. Thx to all for their help in convincing me in this thread (well, FOX did that mostly now that CI free preview is over...).

How did you ensure you would get the HR24? I am about the subscribe but do not want the older slooooower receivers.

I didn't. When I ordered via DirecTV's web site, I put in the installer notes that I wanted 2 HR24's and 1 H24. The installer said he just installs what DirecTV sends and so I ended up with 2 HR24's and 1 H23. Not exactly what I asked for but close enough. The H23 works fine.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts