Goodbye DISH.....Hello DirecTV.....

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I know! Rub it in why don't ya! Chicago was ran for a long time by some people who didn't care about the game. I'm just glad those days are over. The central is a great division to be a part of too with St Louis looking good, Detroit (again), Chicago, and Nashville...should be another fun season.

HOLY CRAP!

I should have done this a long time ago. I can't believe how clear the picture is. Just shows how much E* compresses. Not getting any of the usual fuzziness/pixelization/artifacting that plagues E*. Seamless transition to the HR24. No inputing codes into the remote control, just point it at the receiver and it just does it. My father had a hard time operating the E* remote and immediately picked up on this one. Love the guide options.

I know! Rub it in why don't ya! Chicago was ran for a long time by some people who didn't care about the game. I'm just glad those days are over. The central is a great division to be a part of too with St Louis looking good, Detroit (again), Chicago, and Nashville...should be another fun season.

Agree 100%

Love to see the Wings/Hawks rivarly build up again.

Rogers Sportsnet in HD??? Didn't think they did any Kanadian feeds in HD unless they're on NHLN. Looking good!!!

Just switched to Directv after 14 years with Dish. Losing the Fox Sports channels was the main motivator, but it also looks like we'll be saving $$. So far, very happy. The picture quality does look better. The guide looks great, too (I think I spend more time trying to FIND a channel rather than watching sometimes! :confused:). My small brain is having problems remember what the new channel numbers are!

Install went very smoothly. Should be receiving the boxes to return the Dish equipment any day. I am also pleasantly surprised at the size of the receivers compared to Dish. The Dish one in our living room ran very hot most of the time, and we couldn't shut the doors to the entertainment center, or it would overheat. The Directv receiver runs much cooler, so that's nice, too.

Over on the other site, Satracer made a comment about Direct having one of its best years ever in total net sub growth for the year and stock value. Looks like they already know how this current quarter is going and when the 4th quarter report and the annual report comes out next year for this current year, it looks like direct will be reporting some pretty amazing numbers

So FOX is disallowing lifting the reciprocal feeds for all providers (if that's what its called) for home markets that may not have a local game broadcast? Last night, FSNAZ did not have the Coyotes game and it was blacked out on the Ottawa feed here in PHX on CI. Thought they have allowed the Ottawa feed to the PHX market in past years but currently a no-go? Is it due to the dispute or just a new 'standard'?

Nope, it's because of the dispute.

Fox owns the decision to allow the NHL to lift local blackouts, the NHL in turn will contact the local team’s broadcast department to let them know about permission being given to lift a local blackout. The team then decides if they want to lift the blackout on things like Center Ice and Game Center Live.

Due to the Fox/DISH Network issues, Fox has rescinded the ability to lift blackouts for all NHL teams. It doesn’t matter who is carrying the game, the blackout restrictions stay in place for any game that is not being carried by the local Fox Sports Network affiliate network. There is no recourse at the local level, this is a Fox decision that the NHL and its’ teams need to comply with.

so i had direct installed this past saturday. i wanted to give it a few days before giving my initial impressions. the install went ok. he had to do a pole mount but had a trainee with him so they knocked it out fairly quick. the install took about 1 1/2 hours total. i've read from others that the picture quality was better with direct over dish. without doing a side by side it's hard to make an accurate comparison. it appears that it is sometimes. other times it's seems to be the same. i wonder if there might be a placebo effect. nevertheless, i'm very happy with the picture quality. i'm getting used to the remote. it's not as ergonomically friendly as the dish remote. but it's not horrible either. and i knew that going in since my brother and parents have recently switched from dish to direct. i liked the dish on screen guide layout better. and the picture in the upper right hand corner was bigger. a couple things i like better about the direct guide/remote. i like the quick tune feature where you can put your 9 favorites and access them with the up button. i like the smart search feature. just start typing in a show you're looking for and it pops up matches. i found the neil young concert on palladia this way. i had it recorded on my previous dish dvr and wanted to put it on this one. the scoreguide is cool too.

p.s. thanks to dodgerking and jerseymatt for the tip on programming the remote to RF (it was set to IR). this was very helpful :up

i'm getting used to the remote. it's not as ergonomically friendly as the dish remote.

I feel the same way. My biggest problem with the DTV remote is that it's more difficult for me to use in the dark. I wish they had made the "List" button in a more prominent location. On the Dish remote, it's right in the middle of the remote and easy to find. On the DTV remote, it's kind of lumped in with several other buttons. I'm getting used to it, though.

I feel the same way. My biggest problem with the DTV remote is that it's more difficult for me to use in the dark. I wish they had made the "List" button in a more prominent location. On the Dish remote, it's right in the middle of the remote and easy to find. On the DTV remote, it's kind of lumped in with several other buttons. I'm getting used to it, though.

D*'s website offers a back lit RF remote for $25.

DIRECTV: Equipment : Remotes

remote__Universal_Rf_Remote.jpg

They offer this same remote with your favorite NFL team design (if it isn't sold out) for $22.

DIRECTV: Sports : NFL SUNDAY TICKET : Remotes

lg__Limited-Edition_DIRECTV_NFL_Remotes.jpg

The worst one for me was the TiVo remote. What idiot thought it was smart to put a very small TV power button in between the 1 button and the instant replay button?

I am thinking about making the move, dish ==> DTV, BUT, the audio drop out scares me

I made the move about a week and a half ago. I'm not seeing the audio dropouts. Your mileage may vary.

For what it's worth I was getting numerous audio skips on Dish (VIP622 and VIP612). I could watch my AV receiver renegotiate the decoding every time it dropped.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)