Goodbye Dish Network

Dish has allowed 722 & Hopper equipment on the same account. Back when I was DA/FS, I talked to a tech who was installing 2 HPRSLNG in a guest house on an acct that had three 722s. I told the tech that's not an option. Customer gets on the line and screams do it or I cancel. Got him to Loyalty. 15 mins later I refresh the account and Loyalty escalates to OOP who notates the acct and overrides the system to allow it. Those that high up have the override. Frontline CSRs don't and probably coaches don't either. IIRC, I saw about 5 accts like that.

It may have happened that time, however, it is not permitted by our business rules and more than likely has since been corrected. Anything can technically be overridden by the tool that OOP has, but it does not mean it is permitted by our business rules.

Reactions: xfoneguy and Tampa8
I don't know how much easier it can get - I'm certainly not "dissing" my wife, but she's as non-technical as they come and aside from a few bugs that frustrate many of us (and only because the H3 is so new), she has had virtually ZERO problems acclimating to the Hopper/Joey setup.
Same here. My wife had no trouble transitioning from our 722 to the Hopper. The on-screen menus are pretty much the same. The Hopper just has extra features which she rarely uses anyway. Honestly, going from the 722 to the Hopper was the best thing I ever did. Now if I could just get a Hopper 3........

Reactions: xfoneguy
Same here. My wife had no trouble transitioning from our 722 to the Hopper. The on-screen menus are pretty much the same. The Hopper just has extra features which she rarely uses anyway. Honestly, going from the 722 to the Hopper was the best thing I ever did. Now if I could just get a Hopper 3........

well I received the Joey today and it installed without any problems (KNOCK KNOCK ON WOOD). The remote is similar to the remote for the 722K and 211K. So I 'll see what happens my wife goes to use the Joey.

Reactions: Tampa8
... Now if I could just get a Hopper 3........
"Honey, the hammer fell out of my hands..."
"Sweety I ordered the H3 by mistake, really...."
"The Devil made me do it"
"The Hopper is no longer responding to the remote. Yes, of course I checked the batteries, no need for you to"

You're welcome... :devilish

Well, with all the back and forth here on who got a ViP by whatever threat or who did not, my point is that Dish has not bothered to share with us WHY? It is clear that it is a business decision. I just wish Charlie would explain to those of us who want an ViP along with a Hopper system why he does not want that to be. Again, like in the Charlie Chat days, he might tell us that he really needs to transition all to the Hopper as the cost of multiple ViP's in a household is pretty high with additional costs for HDD failures RMA as opossed to the Hopper mode that has one (or two) DVR servicing many other TV's with the less costly Joey, with very high ViP charges meant to discourage their use. Charlie would even give some numbers on those chats. OK, I can understand an economic argument that, I'm sure he would say, would "help keep your bill from rising more than it other wise would" etc., etc., etc.

I just miss the days when Charlie, Jim, Mark, Dave, and others would give an honest answer about why the company is doing what it is. It was often for good reasons, even if it were not the way we would have preferred. Today, we get no updates. Even Charlie with a video each quarter with FAQ's like the head of state telling all his DishLandiers why and how its gonna be would be something. :). Do others remember many, many years ago the little newscasts on the 100 channel? There were funny. At least SOME info from that.

Charlie doesn't owe anybody an explanation about anything. Other mega companies don't give reasons for their business practices either. It's really simple, when a companies business practices don't fit your needs you find another company that will. YOU have the option to support any business you want.

Well its simple why, the only way you can incorporate any VIP receiver into a Hopper system requires a Dish Pro Plus 44, or the customer has to have a separate satellite dish.
Why should tech support be forced to trouble shoot that mess?
Or even pay for all that extra equipment when you can just 2 hoppers and 4 Joeys.

And now you can get a Hopper 3 and 6 Joeys.

If you are a Camper, and do a lot of traveling, you're not worried about watching tv off a 722, a couple 211s are just fine.
Especially when you can just add a hard drive to them.

If your traveling enjoy the outdoors, and stop worrying about TV.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

but why wasnt the hopper designed to integrate the other equipment like a 722/922, and share recordings?

the genie is a whole home, but was designed to allow existing equipment to talk to it

Probably because you can only have 1 Genie per account. That's only 5 tuners. With DISH you can multiple Hopper 1's and 2's or 16 tuners with a Hopper 3.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Probably because you can only have 1 Genie per account. That's only 5 tuners. With DISH you can multiple Hopper 1's and 2's or 16 tuners with a Hopper 3.
Well you can also use Hr2*s and H2* with it.
I've already had a HR34,24,23,25,C31 on the same account and they are all able to record and share playlists.

I think that what is being questioned why Dish couldn't have done this with the hopper.
But it's fairly simple dish didn't make a swm8,swm16 or swm 32.
And VIPs don't work with nodes.

Well you can also use Hr2*s and H2* with it.
I've already had a HR34,24,23,25,C31 on the same account and they are all able to record and share playlists.

I think that what is being questioned why Dish couldn't have done this with the hopper.
But it's fairly simple dish didn't make a swm8,swm16 or swm 32.
And VIPs don't work with nodes.

This is getting circular. I just said that's probably why DirecTV has their recent DVR's see each other, because you can only have 1 Genie per account. With DISH you can have as many Hoppers as you want basically and they didn't have to make the Hopper backwards compatible with the old technology.

This is getting circular. I just said that's probably why DirecTV has their recent DVR's see each other, because you can only have 1 Genie per account. With DISH you can have as many Hoppers as you want basically and they didn't have to make the Hopper backwards compatible with the old technology.
Well I'm not sure you can have as many hoppers as you want.
3 hopper setup is a mess for lack of a better term.
And the 3rd Hopper has to be bought.
And that is a Troubleshooting nightmare which is exactly why Dish doesn't want anything to do with supporting 3rd and 4th hopper setups.
Plus now your talking about $12-15 a shot.

This was definitely not Ideal by any means except for the gadget geeks.

Which most likly has alot to do with why you see a 16 Tuner Hopper to this day.

Last edited:
Reactions: osu1991 and mdram
Well I'm not sure you can have as many hoppers as you want.
3 hopper setup is a mess for lack of a better term.
And the 3rd Hopper has to be bought.
And that is a Trouble shooting nightmare which is exactly why Dish doesn't want anything to do with supporting 3rd and 4th hopper setups.
Plus now your talking about $12-15 a shot.

This was definitely not Ideal by any means except for the gadget geeks.

Which most likly has alot to do with why you see a 16 Tuner Hopper to this day.

It's only a 'trouble shooting nightmare' for amateurs.

If you guys like the DirecTV setup so much better then please, go get DirecTV.

It's only a 'trouble shooting nightmare' for amateurs.

If you guys like the DirecTV setup so much better then please, go get DirecTV.
Really??? people are just talking.
And you really think Dish want to pay you to sit and trouble-shoot a Guy with 2 Dpp44s, 3 Hoppers 2 Nodes and yet all the f connectors .

Or would dish rather pay you to troubleshoot a single Duo Node or single HUB?

Geesh can't understand why Dish doesn't support a 3rd hopper setup.

As far as Liking directv better.
Really has nothing to do with what being discussed, but the Swm Technology.......
Well directv had a Full proof Swm Technology for years now, that enables you to utilize 8,16, tuners with a switch the size of a DPP44.
You can be in denial of some things, But Dish has been chasing this type of technology for years.
And IMO they did it, Finally.

I bet if I had a 3 or 4 Hopper setup now, That Dish tech would be scratching his head and his balls wonder what the heck he was even looking at.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts