Google tablet has a rumored release date...

diogen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 16, 2007
...and it is Black Friday!
Google launching a Chrome OS tablet on Verizon, goes on sale November 26
Specs look good but I hope a cell-less version will be offered as well.

Chromium (the free flavour of the Chrome OS) is a really interesting beast.
Here you can download a netbook version (nightly build) that is based on the latest version 6 Chrome browser.
http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/14/thanks-to-hexxeh-youre-just-a-few-clicks-away-from-trying-out/2

When installed on a USB stick and booting from it, the sytem is up and running (on a Latitude 2100) in about 15 seconds, recognizes every feature of the netbook including webcam and looks just like the Chrome browser that you can't minimize. no network browsing. The fonts a bit off but this is the first time I've seen what Marc Andreessen's vision was all about during Netscape rise: the browser will replace the OS (and what subsequently they had their "air supply cut off" for by Microsoft).

Google seem to be getting really cozy with Verizon lately, including the "new" net neutrality proposal.
Some claim it wasn't without Verizon "help" that Google decided to ditch its Nexus One direct sales model...

Diogen.

The last 3-4 months of this year are shaping up to be "soaked" with mobile - smartphones and tablet - events:

- Android 3.0, aka Gingerbread;
- first Windows Phone 7 handsets;
- Android-based tablets from a range of manufacturers;
- webOS tablets;
- RIM BlackPad;
- Nokia N9, MeeGo (Linux) based handset;
- Windows 7 tablets;
- ChromeOS-based tablets;
etc.

Both, MeeGo and ChromeOS can run netbooks (even today).

Diogen.

The last 3-4 months of this year are shaping up to be "soaked" with mobile - smartphones and tablet - events:

- webOS tablets;
- RIM BlackPad;
- Windows 7 tablets;
etc.

Both, MeeGo and ChromeOS can run netbooks (even today).

Diogen.

Add to the mix the new 7 inch IPAD and the new Dell 5 inch cell phone touch pad andorid unit.

Add to the mix the new 7 inch IPAD and the new Dell 5 inch cell phone touch pad andorid unit.
Those 7" pads - being it from Apple or anybody else - carry the most uncertainty.
And I believe they can end up being the ultimate form factor for a device between a smartphone (5" screen or less) and netbook (9" screen or more).

Since it's a risky move, Apple would be the most suitable first-mover. Dell is rumored to have one ready for over 6 months...
Dell Mini 7 | Carrypad

Diogen.

I would like to see what the price would be without the data plan.

I've been working with an Android based tablet development system based on the nVidia Tegra 2 chip set. The performance is very impressive - 1.5 to 2x faster than the same code run on the iPad. I don't know how the other chip sets will compare.

Chromium (the free flavour of the Chrome OS) is a really interesting beast.
Here you can download a netbook version (nightly build) that is based on the latest version 6 Chrome browser.
Thanks to Hexxeh, you're just a few clicks away from trying out the latest Chromium build -- Engadget
The same guy managed to install Chromium on an iPad!
Chromium OS infiltrates iPad, makes itself comfortable -- Engadget

Reportedly, not everything works, but at least this leaves no doubts that the A4 is an ARM derivative, and a very close one...

Diogen.

- webOS tablets;
- RIM BlackPad;
- Windows 7 tablets;
etc.

Yep! Makes me laugh when I recall several people here, earlier this year, were predicting the tablet based device would never fly and will quickly die off. There were lots of reasons but the most common one was the new Netbooks were superior. Who would buy a tablet when a netbook could do so much more for so much less? Well, one thing the proliferation of cheap specialty apps changed that. While other than the ipad we haven't seen any big numbers from competitive products, your list certainly shows the trend in Tablets useage is not going to die off. If anything, I see the netbook and basic readses disappearing.

... your list certainly shows the trend in Tablets useage is not going to die off.
No, it doesn't.
It just shows that this time around everybody believes that Apple can create a profitable market all by itself (with iPod - they didn't).
And are determined to be a player from the start.
If anything, I see the netbook and basic readses disappearing.
That's what Best Buy CEO tried to imply until being told to take his foot out of his mouth...
iPad has halved laptop sales, claims Best Buy CEO (update: he meant netbooks) -- Engadget

Diogen.

No, it doesn't.
It just shows that this time around everybody believes that Apple can create a profitable market all by itself (with iPod - they didn't).
And are determined to be a player from the start.
That's what Best Buy CEO tried to imply until being told to take his foot out of his mouth...
iPad has halved laptop sales, claims Best Buy CEO (update: he meant netbooks) -- Engadget

Diogen.

Well that's what I said. If he meant netbooks sales were halved, then my comment is supported by his sales figures. I never figured ipad and other tablets would impact Laptop sales by more than a minor amount.

They didn't create a profitable market with their ipod line? You don't think the ipod was profitable for Apple? Are you accusing them of cooking the books? The only division that hasn't been profitable in years has been the MAC Computers. Those big Mac towers ( G5). There just isn't much of a market for them anymore. Maybe I didn't understand what you meant by that statement.

Dell had a small 10" XPS before. I own one and it is the best laptop computer I've ever owned.
It is perfect for the traveler. Was one of the first laptops to have a built in EVDO REV A card. I have since upgraded it with different plug in hard drives. One with XP, one with OS X and one with Windows 7. Only thing I miss is no BluRay drive made for it.
I'll check out the new one you mentioned.

Maybe I didn't understand what you meant by that statement.
Yes, you didn't.

English is not my first language (not even second), but I thought it was clear. In more details:

Apple's assault on digital music players was a huge success.
By the time other companies realized what a killing they are making - it was too late.
Microsoft Zune is probably the best proof of it.

This is why I said "with the iPod - they [other companies] didn't [realize what Apple is capable of]."
With the tablet they jump aboard just because Apple is doing it.

Well that's what I said.
No, you didn't.
You said "Tablets useage is not going to die off", i.e. attempt to predict the fate of the tablet market.
And this has nothing to do with other companies jumping onboard with tablet design of their own.

Many players is not guarantee of market success.

Diogen.

Well, for what it's worth I picked up a 7" device at Borders for my birthday last month. While it is true that out of the box it is only set up for the Borders reader for eBooks, it is also very true that the vast majority of the tablets in this size range have a world of alternative firmware available. Knowing this, my tablet now works with the apps for Borders, Amazon Kindle and the BN Nook. The WiFi capability is fine for web surfing and email reading and there is even an included app for viewing MS Office docs. I have no complaints. By the way, the device is called a Cruz and is made by Velocity Micro.

Are you saying it wasn't dead on arrival (DOA)? You must have mixed up something.

The Book of Jobs says it suppose to be (DOA)! Therefore nobody subscribing to that religion will believe you...:)
And there are a lot of them here - from "developers" to stock traders to simply fanboiz...

Diogen.

Last edited:
Are you saying it wasn't dead on arrival (DOA)? You must have mixed up something.

The Book of Jobs says it suppose to be (DOA)! Therefore nobody subscribing to that religion will believe you...:)
And there are a lot of them here - from "developers" to stock traders to simply fanboiz...

Diogen.

I understand the DOA bit, but I have to say that I have found no issues with this since I got it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)