GoogleTV

OK, so I have a PS3s, which have a browser, limited though, on my TVs and they also stream Netflix (and MLB in 3D). And I have several laptops. I just don't see a reason to spend $180 to do what I have been doing for years, using my laptop while watching TV or streaming Netfix, or using the online web portal to schedule movies on my Vip receivers. Am I missing anything?

The difference is this device is built to do what many of us have been kinda faking with combinations of products meant to do many different things.

I have a 360, PS3, and an Android cell phone... there's my discless netflix, and relatively full web browsing experiences.

With GoogleTV I could press a button on my remote and start Netflix, and play it Picture in Picture while I look up something up on the web, all seamless, without switching inputs, using another device, etc.

I'm still just wary of IR emitters though.

Because of where I live I can't get the internet speed I need for streaming hd movies off the internet so this thing won't do me much good. All I would use it for would be like a Webtv where I search and browse the web with content on a much bigger "monitor". That I can do already by hooking up my laptop to the tv (which I do with a wireless USB>HDMI connector). There are a few more bells and whistles that come with this box but certainly nothing I need.

I'm trying very hard to fight the urge to order GTV from Amazon using my Prime account and have it in my home next week versus waiting until the end of the month (or later) for Dish to get it. I don't mind paying the $300 up front . . . especially if it means losing the $4/mo. Dish fee. What I can't decide, however, is whether the Dish DVR integration is really worth it.

From everything I've read, we won't be able to record web content with the DVR. So it seems the Dish integration really is just the ability to schedule recordings via GTV and search GTV and Dish Cinema, right? Not sure that's enough, but I guess I have to decide soon if I wan't it on launch.

Anyone else facing the same conundrum?

I will order it, but only after first reading the experiences and opinions of the brave early adopters. That was my strategy for the 922 and overall from what I've read here I am glad I did not pull the trigger on it....

I will order it, but only after first reading the experiences and opinions of the brave early adopters. That was my strategy for the 922 and overall from what I've read here I am glad I did not pull the trigger on it....

Eh, with eBay and Craigslist around, I don't worry too much about being an early adopter. As long as I'm not getting into any contractual commitment, reselling a new tech without suffering a loss is virtually guaranteed.

DISH SUCKS!!! I was told today that my google tv that was promised by 2 CSR's to ship out today wouldn't ship until nov. 1st. And they used my 193.53 payment for google tv and all ready applied it to my programing bill.... WTF... Take the money for a product not available and apply the money to something other than what it was authorized to pay for. Uggggggg!!!!!

DISH SUCKS!!! I was told today that my google tv that was promised by 2 CSR's to ship out today wouldn't ship until nov. 1st. And they used my 193.53 payment for google tv and all ready applied it to my programing bill.... WTF... Take the money for a product not available and apply the money to something other than what it was authorized to pay for. Uggggggg!!!!!

I'm not even sure that is legal. If you as for a refund I would hope that you get it.

Eh, with eBay and Craigslist around, I don't worry too much about being an early adopter. As long as I'm not getting into any contractual commitment, reselling a new tech without suffering a loss is virtually guaranteed.
That's great, I'll be looking forward to your review!! :D

I'm not even sure that is legal. If you as for a refund I would hope that you get it.

They said they could only refund the amount I paid for the google tv minus the amount that they applied to my programing. I demanded to talk to his supervisor and after waiting on hold for about 10 minutes the csr came back and said the full amount would be credited to my card. We'll see :mad: I looks like goolge tv and me weren't meant to be.

I'm trying very hard to fight the urge to order GTV from Amazon using my Prime account and have it in my home next week versus waiting until the end of the month (or later) for Dish to get it. I don't mind paying the $300 up front . . . especially if it means losing the $4/mo. Dish fee. What I can't decide, however, is whether the Dish DVR integration is really worth it.

From everything I've read, we won't be able to record web content with the DVR. So it seems the Dish integration really is just the ability to schedule recordings via GTV and search GTV and Dish Cinema, right? Not sure that's enough, but I guess I have to decide soon if I wan't it on launch.

Buying GTV from Amazon does NOT get you out of paying the $4/mo fee. When you try to enable the Enhanced Integration feature on the GoogleTV, it checks your receiver to make sure your account is authorized and you're paying the fee. If that comes back as a negative, then you get the same functionality as if there was a non-DVR receiver attached to it.

The DISH $179 offer is a special deal to get the box into their subscribers hands. The $4/mo fee isn't some way of offsetting the cost of the box. It's what ALL GoogleTV users have to pay to get the Enhanced Integration if you have the Logitech Revue, SonyTV, or any other GTV device.

Buying GTV from Amazon does NOT get you out of paying the $4/mo fee. When you try to enable the Enhanced Integration feature on the GoogleTV, it checks your receiver to make sure your account is authorized and you're paying the fee. If that comes back as a negative, then you get the same functionality as if there was a non-DVR receiver attached to it.

The DISH $179 offer is a special deal to get the box into their subscribers hands. The $4/mo fee isn't some way of offsetting the cost of the box. It's what ALL GoogleTV users have to pay to get the Enhanced Integration if you have the Logitech Revue, SonyTV, or any other GTV device.

I understand that. The point of my post was whether it was worth buying from Amazon and giving up the integration in exchange for not paying the $4 fee.

I understand that. The point of my post was whether it was worth buying from Amazon and giving up the integration in exchange for not paying the $4 fee.

He clearly stated that if you want to Intergrate the logitec revue you can, it does not matter if you got the box from amazon for $300.00 or dish for &179.00 it is the same box.

If you do not want to intergrate the box you do not have to no matter how much or from whom you got the unit.

The wise dish customer will save the money and get the box from dish.

First, we do not know for a fact whether Dish will allow you to activate the integration features if you did not buy the box from Dish itself. It's likely they will, but not a certainty. At least, I haven't seen it written anywhere. As a practical matter, though, paying full price for the box from Amazon virtually assures that you will not have the integration, since you would have to be a fool to pay full price + the fee.

As for your statement that the "wise" customer will buy from Dish . . . maybe, maybe not. It really depends on whether Dish is going to require a two year commitment with a corresponding early termination fee for purchases made through Charlie. The last thing I want to do is get myself locked into a contract. This is akin to buying a subsidized cell phone vs. paying full price and having the freedom to pick up and go whenever I want. While it was reported by one poster here that a CSR had promised there was no contract, that too has not been confirmed. In fact, I spoke to several CSRs this weekend and not a single one was able to confirm or deny that fact.

Yeah, still waiting for the other shoe to drop on the Dish offer... nothing has been explained as to how Dish will make their money back for subsidizing the purchase. Expecting forced integration or a commitment (or some combination of both), or people will just buy them to resell.

It's not unreasonable to expect a retail purchased Revue can take advantage of Dish only stuff.

They've let loose the good stuff to generate buzz, now where's the catch.

Yeah, still waiting for the other shoe to drop on the Dish offer... nothing has been explained as to how Dish will make their money back for subsidizing the purchase. Expecting forced integration or a commitment (or some combination of both), or people will just buy them to resell.

It's not unreasonable to expect a retail purchased Revue can take advantage of Dish only stuff.

They've let loose the good stuff to generate buzz, now where's the catch.

Have to admit that Dish has done a poor job with advertising Google TV and explaining the terms about it. Even there own Google TV site on Dish Network does not tell you much of anything. We all just have to wait and find out later.

We will never have FiosTV in Colorado, so any interaction such as Google TV will have to do. I can't compare and I won't complain about price, because we are so severely limited in our choices in this desolate wasteland.

Where the hell do you live in Colorado? Up here in the mountains it is certainly not a wasteland!!! More like God's country.:angel:

First, we do not know for a fact whether Dish will allow you to activate the integration features if you did not buy the box from Dish itself. It's likely they will, but not a certainty. At least, I haven't seen it written anywhere. As a practical matter, though, paying full price for the box from Amazon virtually assures that you will not have the integration, since you would have to be a fool to pay full price + the fee.

As for your statement that the "wise" customer will buy from Dish . . . maybe, maybe not. It really depends on whether Dish is going to require a two year commitment with a corresponding early termination fee for purchases made through Charlie. The last thing I want to do is get myself locked into a contract. This is akin to buying a subsidized cell phone vs. paying full price and having the freedom to pick up and go whenever I want. While it was reported by one poster here that a CSR had promised there was no contract, that too has not been confirmed. In fact, I spoke to several CSRs this weekend and not a single one was able to confirm or deny that fact.

I just linked to the Logitech support pages that state exactly how you pair the Revue unit to your receiver and enable the Enhanced Integration.... what more do you need to know? Okay fine here's one more...

Revue Customer Care-Answers

There. Logitech tells you who to call to get the Enhanced Integration with DISH. So if you buy the GoogleTV from Best Buy, Amazon, or at a discount through DISH. There ya go.

Seriously, everyone needs to read all the Logitech support pages. They have told us more about the box then anything that has been leaked, talked about, or posted by DISH by about a million miles. They address pretty much everything you need to know except for the special discount offer from DISH. That's DISH's responsibility. According to Android Central, the Logitech boxes aren't shipping until Oct. 21st. There still time for DISH too get their butts in gear and tell us all the terms and conditions of their GoogleTV offer. Any more speculation or calls to CSRs aren't doing anything more then confusing other people happening to pop in on this thread.

Shipping dates come out for Logitech Revue pre-orders [Google TV] | Android Central

The difference is this device is built to do what many of us have been kinda faking with combinations of products meant to do many different things.

I have a 360, PS3, and an Android cell phone... there's my discless netflix, and relatively full web browsing experiences.

With GoogleTV I could press a button on my remote and start Netflix, and play it Picture in Picture while I look up something up on the web, all seamless, without switching inputs, using another device, etc.

I'm still just wary of IR emitters though.

OK. Sounds like a jack of all trades, master of none. lol.

I just linked to the Logitech support pages that state exactly how you pair the Revue unit to your receiver and enable the Enhanced Integration.... what more do you need to know? Okay fine here's one more...

Revue Customer Care-Answers

There. Logitech tells you who to call to get the Enhanced Integration with DISH. So if you buy the GoogleTV from Best Buy, Amazon, or at a discount through DISH. There ya go.

Seriously, everyone needs to read all the Logitech support pages. They have told us more about the box then anything that has been leaked, talked about, or posted by DISH by about a million miles. They address pretty much everything you need to know except for the special discount offer from DISH. That's DISH's responsibility. According to Android Central, the Logitech boxes aren't shipping until Oct. 21st. There still time for DISH too get their butts in gear and tell us all the terms and conditions of their GoogleTV offer. Any more speculation or calls to CSRs aren't doing anything more then confusing other people happening to pop in on this thread.

Shipping dates come out for Logitech Revue pre-orders [Google TV] | Android Central

How exactly does your link answer any of the questions I posed? You linked to a technical support page -- I don't have any questions about how the box works, what it does, how you hook it up, etc. Read my post again, please. My questions concern price, contractual commitments, fees and possible (expected!?!) limitations imposed upon this product by Charlie.

Please don't ask us to stop speculating about these things. If you take speculation, conjecture and rumors off the table, we will have nothing to talk about. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)