GoogleTV

If they didn't expose it an alternate browser app or something would have, adjusting user agents is becoming a pretty standard thing on non-traditional browsers (cell phones, tablets, and now TVs) because for example I don't want to see a mobile site on my Droid when the browser can digest a full site just fine. This is done by detecting my user agent and serving a different page because it thinks mobile content is more appropriate for my agent/perceived browser/device.

This certainly isn't an 'lets eff Hulu!' feature explicitly.

Last edited:
So, when are you going to be able to order this thing from Dish?

I also have another question. I have never bought anything through Dish before so, how would they handle returns? Does Dish have a 15 and/or 30 day return policy? I only ask because I have read that some people who have the GTV Blu-Ray player from Sony are having problems passing 5.1 audio through to there receivers from there DVRs (only getting 2 channel audio). If the Logitech Revue has the same issue then I will want to return it, this wouldn't be and issue if purchased at Best Buy but how would Dish handle a return like that?

Last edited:
No return possible...per customer service rep...i decided not to buy. They told me i could only return it if it was defective.

Couple of questions (that I'm still not sure we've really answered for certain?):

1. Does buying this from E* directly for $179.99 add a commitment (12 mo, 24 mo, etc)?
2. Is the shipping charge really $15?, and I assume sales tax? If so, in my state that that brings it up to $212....still cheaper than amazon, but....
3. Is there a way to stop the $4 mo fee in the future, by turning off the E* integration?

Well, no return means no sell for me, at least for now. I'll revisit the idea around Christmas. Over at AVS, those who have bought the Sony GTV devices say that you can not get 5.1 audio passed through from your cable/sat box to your receiver, only 2 channel audio is being passed through. That is a deal breaker for me and just a stupid design oversight or problem. I'm not willing to give up my 5.1 audio for GoogleTV and I bet many people are in the same position. So, I'll wait to read reviews and see if the Logitech devices has the same issues. Oh well, there are plenty of Blu-Rays to buy with my b'day money instead of this.

I'll definitely keep and eye on this because Google TV looks interesting but, I'll let others take the plunge first. Can't wait to read some of you guys impressions when you finally get one.

Yeah, both Logitech and Sony aren't putting enough information out there about the technical details to make me want to blindly jump into this.

Love the idea of the platform, but definitely in wait and see mode.

Still don't see what the catch with the Dish offer is, otherwise will be able to get them for cheaper than retail in the secondary market from Dish subs buying and reselling their discounted box.

As far as I can tell the dish google box that is going for a lesser price will be avaiable to the 622 and the 722 at first since the $4.00 integration service will be required for one year.

If anyone else has some updated news on his please post.

meh... still have not received an e-mail from dish telling me it's available. I signed up on their website to get news and information when the service was available. They woudn't forget they set that list up and not follow through on it would they? ;-)

Yeah, both Logitech and Sony aren't putting enough information out there about the technical details to make me want to blindly jump into this.

Love the idea of the platform, but definitely in wait and see mode.

Still don't see what the catch with the Dish offer is, otherwise will be able to get them for cheaper than retail in the secondary market from Dish subs buying and reselling their discounted box.

Exactly!!! on all points. The biggest one being "Still don't see what the catch with the Dish offer is" You know that there has got to be one ... it's Dish, after all. New commitment timeframe added? Somehow "locked" into a pairing with Dish equipment? Big monthly usage fee increase? No 5.1 pass-thru is sucky for sure, if true.

No 5.1 makes this worthless to me. I refuse to own something that takes away functionality that I currently have. Hopefully Scott can test his new box tonight and see if 5.1 works with the dish integration.

Classic Dish BS

Around lunchtime Friday, I try to log on to the Dish store to order the Revue, but even after a few minutes, the webpage won't load. So I call the 800#, find a CSR who tells me "since you're such a great customer, I'm going to waive the shipping cost -- I'm even going to send it overnight, for Saturday delivery, because I know how what it's like when you want a new toy."

Obviously, I'm delighted, as I hadn't seen that coming. But I'm skeptical at this point, now that the store webpage has loaded, and I see the Revue marked as "backordered". So I ask the CSR "Silly question, but you have these in stock, right?". He tells me sure, and confirms it will go out Friday for Saturday delivery.

Dish emailed an order confirmation, but no tracking info. So at 5PM EST today, I call Dish to find out what the deal is. "It shipped out today" she cheerfully tells me, and goes on to explain how orders placed one day are shipped out the next. I ask her to stop (several times), to explain that it's Dish that raised my expectations (as is so often the case) and it's Dish that failed to deliver what was promised (as is so often the case).

Animal House wrote Dish's customer service mantra: "You f**ked up: you trusted us!"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)