Gosatellite.com owes me a big thank you

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rjc3895

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Sep 28, 2004
I was checking my emails today and noticed an email from UPS. The email stated that UPS had received my order from Gosatellite.com, and the expected deliver date is October 15. There's only one problem. . . I didn't order anything.

I checked my credit card accounts and bank accounts, and no money was deducted from an account.

I went to the GOsatellite web site, and there is no record of a pending order. The last thing I ordered was a universal remote a few months ago.

From what I can tell, legally I am allowed to keep any item mailed to me by mistake. But morally I couldn't do that. In my mind it's the same as taking something I didn't pay for.

So I spoke with customer service via the online chat, I explained the situation. The customer rep told me to refuse the package when it arrives and it will be sent back to GOsatellite.

According to the delivery confirmation email, GOsatellite is sending me the Nfusion Nuvenio FTA receiver. That receiver sells for $400.00 on their website.

I plan to return it and hope there is such a thing called good karma:D But I must admit, the thought a free FTA box is mighty tempting.

are you sure it wasnt a spoof e-mail?

This is what UPS shows
SEATTLE,
WA, US 10/08/2008 9:58 A.M. REGISTERED WITH CLEARING AGENCY / SHIPMENT SUBMITTED TO CLEARING AGENCY
ANNACIS ISLAND,
BC, CA 10/07/2008 8:08 P.M. EXPORT SCAN
10/07/2008 8:08 P.M. ORIGIN SCAN
10/07/2008 5:53 P.M. PICKUP SCAN
CA 10/07/2008 8:51 P.M. BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED

Tracking results provided by UPS: 10/08/2008 3:36 P.M. ET

So something appears to be coming.

What I found to be interesting; however, is that GOsatellite's website states that they are currently accepting pre-orders. They expect to have the boxes in their warehouse by Oct. 17. I guess it's possible that the shipment arrived ahead of schedule.

My thought is that someone out there did order a box, was charged for it, and will be surprised to find that the order wasn't shipped to them.

A UPS cross-border shipment. Yes - Refuse it. I have a strong dislike towards UPS and Fedex in regards to their customs clearance practices and their method of delivering the package to you, and then 2 weeks later sending you an invoice for over $50 for customs clearance... I bought 2 Satpros receivers from Satellite AV a year or two back. The satellite receivers were worth $45 each. I ended up paying $27 each in Fedex brokerage charges... (The good folks at Satellite AV have since started shipping to me via US Postal Service). Even if you were less than honorable and decided to accept the package - you'd most likely receive an invoice in the mail a couple weeks later from UPS ;)

I'd do the same.. I'd refuse the package, even if it wasn't an international shipment.

Gosatellite should send you a free diseqc switch or something :)

The box has probably got hacker firmware on it and they're just setting you up to get sued. Hopefully when they get raided, they have good enough records to show that it got returned, so that you don't end up on the list of people who get sued. I have no love for Go(HackSome)Satellite due to the fact that their site obviously targets hackers with their FTA packages that come with multi lnb systems designed for dishnetwork.

The box has probably got hacker firmware on it and they're just setting you up to get sued. Hopefully when they get raided, they have good enough records to show that it got returned, so that you don't end up on the list of people who get sued. I have no love for Go(HackSome)Satellite due to the fact that their site obviously targets hackers with their FTA packages that come with multi lnb systems designed for dishnetwork.

Well, when they raid my house, all they will find is a Megasat FTA box with Fortec Lifetime Ultra firmware. When I first got this box from Ebay, it was a hack box. I took care of that quickly. I don't even own an HD TV yet. Can't afford them. I've got nothing to hide.

I don't condone hacking, but you mean the "tv police" would bother with bashing your doors and windows out for a satellite receiver when the drug dealers and child molesters are busy on the other end of town!

We dont do the right thing because we are told to, we do it because we know it's the right thing to do. Good for you, and thank those in your life that instilled those values in you.

Some would say, "their mistake, my gain", others would call it stealing, and in fact I don't think it's as important to argue which attitude is right or wrong, as it is that: You followed the dictates of your conscience.

Knowing you did what you feel is right is worth a whole lot more than a freebie receiver you'd feel wrong about keeping.

The funny thing about doing things that are tempting that you suspect might be wrong are the regrets usually outlasts the benefits. :)

Bravo.

If I ran GoSatellite, I'd definitely toss a gift card your way as a "thank you" for saving them from an expensive mistake. :)

The receiver is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. It left Hodgkins, IL, this morning. My wife is a substitue teacher and she is teaching tomorrow. We received water damage in our bathroom and the contractor (a good friend of ours) is at our home working on the bathroom. It just occured to me that he may be home when the package arrives, and sign for it on my behalf.

I think I'll also send a letter and kindly request that they monitor their forums a little closer. I don't like what I see, and it's not good for our hobby.

The FTA box is on its way back to gosatallite.com

I waited for my contractor friend to show up today and told him what was going on. I asked him to refuse the package if it arrived. I'm not sure if he did this or if gosatellite contacted UPS, but the status of the delivery went from In Transit status "out for delivery" to Exception status and is being prepared for return delivery.

I sent the following email to gosatellite.com. I'm hoping to get a reply as to what happened.

I contacted a customer service representative last week to advise that UPS was delivering a package to me from gosatellite.com; however, I had not placed any recent orders. The representative asked that I refuse delivery. The package was to be delivered to my house today and is now being returned to sender as requested.

My customer email account is ------------@gmail.com. I'm still confused as to how this happened in the first place. I also want to make sure that I don't incur any Customs processing fees from UPS since this item was shipped from Canada.

I'm sure someone is anxiously awaiting the arrival of their new FTA box, so I'm glad this was resolved properly. I would appreciate a response with an explanation as to how this happened.

Sincerely,
Robert C.

Last edited:
And here is the reply

Hello Robert
It was a cross of order#`s. The Canadian order# corresponded with your older order# on the US order sheet. Because of this they shipped it to your address but noticed the mistake right away. i do apologize for this and thank you for being very co operative

Isaac
GOsatellite Customer Support

Hmm. I guess UPS has to actually have the product on the delivery truck, deliver the product to the home, and then put it back in the UPS truck to ship it back to Canada. With UPS tracking, this item could have been stopped and returned way before reaching my home. There is no way they "noticed the mistake right away."

GO hk Sat. took my order and my money on a fleabay auction, told me it had been shipped 3 different times, then cancelled my order and filed a complaint with fleabay that I had not paid - after 3 weeks they credited me back for my payment, but never shipped.
After your experience, and hearing about the customs charge, I am glad they did not ship it! In my opinion, they are FOOLS gold sponsors!

GO hk Sat. took my order and my money on a fleabay auction, told me it had been shipped 3 different times, then cancelled my order and filed a complaint with fleabay that I had not paid - after 3 weeks they credited me back for my payment, but never shipped.
After your experience, and hearing about the customs charge, I am glad they did not ship it! In my opinion, they are FOOLS gold sponsors!

My universal remote took almost two months to be delivered even though my credit card was charged two days after I placed the order. They told me there was a back order on this "very popular" item. The funny thing about it was I never received any type of official notification that there would be a delay. It wasn't until I contacted customer support that I got an answer. Good customer service means keeping your customer informed, and happy.

And then to see some of the messages in their "FTA" (or should I say "FTS") bulletin board, I probably will not do business with them again, and would ask Scott to look into this and consider removing this company as a gold sponsor. I know it means losing revenue, and I know I cannot financially make up the difference, but I don't like what I see over there.

And then to see some of the messages in their "FTA" (or should I say "FTS") bulletin board, I probably will not do business with them again, and would ask Scott to look into this and consider removing this company as a gold sponsor. I know it means losing revenue, and I know I cannot financially make up the difference, but I don't like what I see over there.

Can you please elaborate a bit more (for a new guy looking to buy from them, but now a bit concerned?).

Thanks

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts