Got a C-Band dish...now some questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
jgbayless said:
I use a stationary 7 ft dish and lnbf c-band My dish was set for regular c-band by an installer and work fine for that. My dvb signal on g4 would come and go with the weather. 2 days ago (Friday) I adjusted back and forth up and down to no avail and decided to adjust scalor rings. Moved about 1 1/2 inches towards dish, had a signal in the high 80's low 90's.

yep. Same here. I had the LNB even with the scaler rings and now its pushed in an inch or so

Went from 30-47 during that time. Moved it a little east and now 75-80 :)

Iceberg said:
4:2:2 will come down the line.

Now I just need to do some consolidating of wiring...thank god for a suspended ceiling in the basement and easy access to the living room

Buddy of mine asked me the other day "do they make a wall plate with 2 connections?" I told him yes and showed him my rigged 4 coax connection wall plate :)

OK, I'm slow. But what is 4:2:2 ?
Norman

4:2:2 is a different way of broadcasting the signal. They do something to the signal to make it so regualr DVB boxes cannot see these. Regualr boxes are 4:2:0

To get 4:2:2 and HD you need a PC card or the Quali-TV receiver which is around $700. PC Card is the cheaper route :)

4:2:0, 4:2:1, and 4:2:2 has to do with color portion of the video stream. The higher the number, the more resolution that there is on the color portion of the signal. This results in richer colors, not necessarily a sharper picture since your sharpness comes in to play with your Light/Dark color portion of the signal (The portion that gives you a black & white picture).

well, did a little work today on it.

I was using an old cable spool (22" high) to overshoot the roof and it was rotted...really bad. So it wiggled

PSB was nice enough to find an old outdoor table made of solid wood. 30" high
So tonight I build it and heave the C-Band dish on. Aim and in 10 seconds or so signal

tweak it and now I have a SOLID 89-90 on the Pansat (woo hoo!)

so since I didnt have it bolted down, I had some fun and swept the upper arc for me (IA6 is TS)

PAX-60
DW-TV-60

NBC-50
Couple other church stations at 40-45

Nets-90

KSCG-60
BYU TV-30 or so

Equity-60 (lots of Espanol on there)

WB-80
KLUZ-60
Couldnt get the 3 stations on 4075

TVU/Spirit-50

Again, this was a quick hap hazard swing the dish and see what we get. Equity came in strong enough to keep it stable but they're all SPanish or AC-3 (Thank goodness they threw those on C-Band and not KU) :D

Pictures tomorrow but I'm pretty stoked...oh yeah. Bugger to get the screws in to bolt the dish down. Had to pound them in first then ratchet them in :)

Glad the table helped, I am sure the higher you go the more you will see and the stronger the signals will be!

You are getting better signals than me on the satellites you can see! I am the look out now for a 2nd BUD (Solid)

PSB said:
Glad the table helped, I am sure the higher you go the more you will see and the stronger the signals will be!
I can't go much higher...its all the way to the back of the deck rail

You are getting better signals than me on the satellites you can see! I am the look out now for a 2nd BUD (Solid)

same here...but with the neighbors house in the way I probably won't....was looking for the western satellites but no go.

I don't want to mess with the skew on the dish...took me forever to get 90 quality on G4 :D

Western birds are tough for me. I really have to find an analog feed on G5 and work that for 15-20 minutes to get IA7. I haven't tried anything West of that. IA13 has the Jewelry analog feed which helps with that bird. I think the lnbf has to be tweaked for these birds and I haven't done that. I know on ku with Primestar once I get pass AMC 1, I had to move the lnbf to the right just for G10 all the time before I got a dish just for that bird.

Tip - drill small pilot holes first . Then screw in the wood screws / lag bolts .

Wyr

Last edited by a moderator:
Wyr
Didnt have my drill handy and it was getting dark...hammer worked just as good :)

pound it a little bit then use the ratchet to bolt it down.

pictures :)
(yes the deck still needs to be painted by the Ass'n)

3rd picture shows the difference in height between the spool (22") and the table (30")

Attachments

• IM000815.JPG
    IM000815.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 180
  • IM000816.JPG
    IM000816.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 156
  • IM000817.JPG
    IM000817.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 209
Now I'm pretty stoked.....well sort of

went out to play and wanted to move to T5...picked KCSG tranpsonder...45 (huh?)...hadnt even moved the dish

checked to see if dish was moved....G4 nets...90 :eek:

so my "non 2 degree compliant dish" can get me G4 nets AND KCSG (Independent station) on 2 different satellites.I'm pretty happy....too bad they're on opposite polarities

Attachments

• IM000818.JPG
    IM000818.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 130
  • IM000820.JPG
    IM000820.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 139
JUst found out my LOS is expanded a little bit.

Moved over to AMC3 and got TVU & Spirit and THE TUBE!! :D
(wish it wasn't in AC-3)

cant get ZNS though.....maybe its lower strength on a 6 footer?

no changes on the LNB (still set for +5 for G4) and I can get 65 quality on the Pansat
Spirit & TVU at 60-62
ZNS...zippo

If I monkeyed with it more I might be able to bring it up a little more

also moved over to AnikF1 and had ASN, Weather Net, MeteoMedia and TeleQuebec...all at 60 quality

I noticed AnikF1 has more wiggle room. I can move the dish more and keep the same quality

I am at 55+% signal quality now on The Tube after modifying my LNB cover.

(Need a solid BUD)

Fortec Classic NA.

thats about what my fortec would be too. The Fortec is a little lower than the spazzy Pansat

Iceberg said:
JUst found out my LOS is expanded a little bit.

Moved over to AMC3 and got TVU & Spirit and THE TUBE!! :D
(wish it wasn't in AC-3)

cant get ZNS though.....maybe its lower strength on a 6 footer?

A piece of fiber and an AC-3 reciever is very easy to come by these days. ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)