Got Adelphia. May god have mercy on my soul!!!!!

keno said:
However, since Comcast bought Adelphia, and it will take several months for approvals ....

When did this happen? I thought it was still being bid on and cablevision just raised their offer??

lostcause said:
When did this happen? I thought it was still being bid on and cablevision just raised their offer??

Nope, a little further along than that. Comcast and Time Warner were chosen. In this area (northern Idaho) it will be Comcast (TW will get Los Angeles). Also, the other day a U.S. bankruptcy court judge approved a breakup fee that Adelphia will be required to pay if the transaction fails to close. Now on to shareholder approval and regulatory approvals.

keno said:
Nope, a little further along than that. Comcast and Time Warner were chosen. In this area (northern Idaho) it will be Comcast (TW will get Los Angeles). Also, the other day a U.S. bankruptcy court judge approved a breakup fee that Adelphia will be required to pay if the transaction fails to close. Now on to shareholder approval and regulatory approvals.

thanks for CDA info. It could be a year before such a complicated deal as TWC/Comcast/Adelphia finishes!!
Good to know that sundown in the summer is ~10pm!! We will have to get room darkening shgades for kids rooms.
If I need to get someone to run wire for HT speakers/mount a plasma, who in the area is better????

Tahoerob said:
Good to know that sundown in the summer is ~10pm!! We will have to get room darkening shgades for kids rooms.
But the opposite is true in the winter...dark at 4:30 pm.
Tahoerob said:
If I need to get someone to run wire for HT speakers/mount a plasma, who in the area is better????
I had a pretty complex setup. Not only speaker wiring through the walls and ceiling (all hidden), but also wires to the infra red eye for the screen, hidden cables to the projector, electric blackout blinds on the windows, and additional electrical outlets with conditioning. So, I paid a little more and hired a good qualified certified electrician. Not sure in your case who would be best.

SatelliteGAL said:
I got a letter from Adelphia offering 1 free month trial of digital cable. I almost went for it but I dont like all of those analog channels. How do those channels look to all of you? Especially if any of you are in the upstate NY region. Ive had an Adelphia CSR argue with me that they are all digital and any TV can be HDTV.

Sounds like the same CSR at all cable and satellite providers. :yes

In my area Adelphia still carries some analog channels. Most are digital though. Analog picture quality is not good. It's like comparing apples to oranges (or digital to HD). I just don't watch the analog channels. One thing that seems to be forgotten though, is not only the picture quality of digital and HD, but the sound. I found the sound quality with cable is much better than Voom and Dish. I'm not sure the reason, but there is definitely a better separation of channels and quality with cable. I'm also hoping that one day Cable will utilize DTS for their sound, which they have the current capability (of course these would be on the movie channels).

Ok...here we go. Quick update on my adelphia situation. I am getting the ultimate pack with all the channels. As of now, channel 277 (thrillermax west) doesn't even show up in my guide. I called the other day and the CSR set up a service call. Today I get a call from dispatch telling me I'm not supposed to get that channel here. Now, looking at the channel lineup card the installler left me, it IS listed there. When I go to the website however and put in my zipcode, it does not show up. It seems to be the ONLY premium channel that doesn't show up on their website channel guide for my zipcode.

So, here's where it sits. The CSR says I should be getting it. The channel lineup card the installer left me says I should be getting it. Their website says I should not be getting it. Their dispatcher left me a voicemail saying I should not be getting it.

Gotta love adelphia. Anyways, can anyone in the miami area confirm whether or not thillermax west on 277 is part of the lineup I should be getting? If not, does anyone know why this is the only premium channel that doesnt' come in here???

Thriller Max shows on the Adelphia web site for my area (Miramar) on Channel 273...doesn't say if it's west or east though!
I should get it...when I get my Ultimate, HD installed on 5/2/05

BTW how does the HD look???

Right...there's the regular thrillermax on 273, then thrillermax west on 277. It's the one on 277 that's the problem.

As for HD, surprisingly, it looks great!! As good or even better than voom.

That's good to know...!!!
What I don't understand is how the channels lineups differ even within the same zipcode!
On their website for my zip there are two different zones....ironically mine is a third which isn't on the website...so now I don't know exactly which local HD's I'll get.
Which ones do you have?

Edited: Just called to confirm my HD channels (13 in all but lacking ABC WLPG)
CBS WFOR
NBC WTVJ
FOX WSVN
PBS
HBO
SHOW
STARZ
ESPN
DISCOVERY
HDNET
HDNET Movies
InHD 1
InHD 2

truqui said:
That's good to know...!!!
What I don't understand is how the channels lineups differ even within the same zipcode!
On their website for my zip there are two different zones....ironically mine is a third which isn't on the website...so now I don't know exactly which local HD's I'll get.

With adelphia nothing surprises me.

the local HD selection kind of sucks. All I get is ABC, NBC, CBS, and Fox. No PBS or WB or WDZL(39). At first I hoped voom would come by and take their dish off my building, but now I hope I can keep everything set up for ota.

On the bright side, my CBS reception here was piss poor so at least that's an improvement.

As for the rest of the channels you listed, it looks like we get the same things. Only difference is you get PBS and I get ABC. Go figure.

Yeah hopefully we get to keep the Voom stuf for OTA...
My CBS via OTA is the best of all...
The only show I watch on ABC is Blind Justice and Desperate Housewives occasionally
no biggie without it though...

Hmmm, I forgot about Greys Anatomy...Voom please let us keep the OTA working...!!!

SatelliteGAL said:
In our area of upstate NY 2 - 99 are analog and that includes TNT and SciFi. That would not sit well.

Yeah, I got my first glimpse of analog greatness yesterday. Watching the speed qualifiying, and I see this ghost on the screen. It's in big old-style computer letters right in the middle of the screen...

FREE

Oh boy. We had to switch back to Voom, as this was unwatchable! (Comcast, btw).

-John

SatelliteGAL said:
In our area of upstate NY 2 - 99 are analog and that includes TNT and SciFi. That would not sit well.

I'm around the corner from you (NT) and have full service Adelphia.
For everything I pay about $150/month, 1 hd box, 1 DVR SD box, all channels, and internet.

My service is pretty good. Have Vonage for phone over IP, and it's been very stable. I can't remember the last time cable was out.

The analog 2-99 can be crummy, ghosting on some stations. I like the fact I can get Canada channels, although I've been using my Samsung HD receiver and antenna because Ch5 has been xmitting in HD...

The digital channels are overcompressed. Try to watch DIY sometime, and when they have brown background (example wood cabinets) it just shimmers and looks like sh!t.

For now, for me, cable with vonage is my best deal. The HD is OK, although Ch 4 has some trouble getting shows like CSI across without busting up on high action scenes. Ch 4 says they are working on it, so it's not adelphia's fault.

warkovision said:
I'm in Los Angeles which is divided between TWC and Adelphia. I unfortunately live in an Adelphia area in the San Fernando Valley. They don't have ANY HD available here :no - and this is supposedly the entertainment capital of the world. It just astounds me how far behind they are in my area. They are a nonstarter here for anyone with HD desires.
I live in an A$$delphia area in Gwinnett county, GA .. absolutley they suck and the PQ is horrid. I have had more outage from rain than I have ever had with satellite... Customer no service is typical.
I had an outage that last over a week one time. I kept telling them a guy worked on the box outside my house and the cable quit working. Took a week for them to unlock the box and reconnect the cable line...

Not a Voomer but had Adelphia installed last week after leaving E and never having been a cable cust. with themm in Maine They gave me 3 dual HDDVR with the first at $7.95 per month and the other 2 at $9.95 a month with a digital pack at $49 a month for 11 months and HD pack I beleive for additional $9.oo a month. The HD quality is good and the digital channels are good but the analog channels are not very good but the installer said they could be all digital by the end of the air. Receive 4 local HD channels and about 12 other HD channels. Better than any sattelite provider and no equipment cost or commitments.

Maineiac said:
Not a Voomer but had Adelphia installed last week after leaving E and never having been a cable cust. with themm in Maine They gave me 3 dual HDDVR with the first at $7.95 per month and the other 2 at $9.95 a month with a digital pack at $49 a month for 11 months and HD pack I beleive for additional $9.oo a month. The HD quality is good and the digital channels are good but the analog channels are not very good but the installer said they could be all digital by the end of the air. Receive 4 local HD channels and about 12 other HD channels. Better than any sattelite provider and no equipment cost or commitments.
Glad for you, I've heard this from others that have HD available to them..So far its been 2 years since fiber was installed im my neighborhood and still no HD.

My neighbor who works for Scietific/Atlanta keeps telling people tpo be patient and points at the distribution network hanging on a pole.

They did an install and ran the wire above ground from my front yard to my neighbors back yard. I had to call them 3 times to get somone to come out and bury the cable. After the last call I told them I was cutting my grass and if it was still there I was cutting it with an ax...needles to say they finally moved the line.

pmb1010 said:
I'm around the corner from you (NT) and have full service Adelphia.
For everything I pay about $150/month, 1 hd box, 1 DVR SD box, all channels, and internet.

My service is pretty good. Have Vonage for phone over IP, and it's been very stable. I can't remember the last time cable was out.

The analog 2-99 can be crummy, ghosting on some stations. I like the fact I can get Canada channels, although I've been using my Samsung HD receiver and antenna because Ch5 has been xmitting in HD...

The digital channels are overcompressed. Try to watch DIY sometime, and when they have brown background (example wood cabinets) it just shimmers and looks like sh!t.

For now, for me, cable with vonage is my best deal. The HD is OK, although Ch 4 has some trouble getting shows like CSI across without busting up on high action scenes. Ch 4 says they are working on it, so it's not adelphia's fault.

I decided to see just how Adelphia looks so I know what all of my options are for the future. It was installed on Monday. I was expecting much worse than it is. The installer told me before he even started that I was not going to like what it looked like in comparison to Satellite. He said mine looks better than a lot of people. I have all new lines from the pole and thru the house which is one advantage. then I have a good tv that handles cable better than some. The HD is really very good some digital channels are better than others... overall they are acceptable. The analog... well, better than I expected but overall only passable if you are critical. A lot of people would probably be happy with the picture.
Now a question for you. Was the sound from CSI really messed up last night or was it just my receiver? The receiver has frozen and rebooted itself a couple times already in only 24 hours.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts