Got Directv today!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
I added an SD-DVR online and selected Professional Installation, installation cost is just $49.99 which is not that bad. I'll call probably next week to order it.

One question though, I have a SWM LNB going into a SWM8 splitter (single cable). Since I will need 9 tuners now, will the same LNB work going into a SWM16 switch or they will need to replace the LNB and run 4 cables to the SWM16 switch?

I added an SD-DVR online and selected Professional Installation, installation cost is just $49.99 which is not that bad. I'll call probably next week to order it.

One question though, I have a SWM LNB going into a SWM8 splitter (single cable). Since I will need 9 tuners now, will the same LNB work going into a SWM16 switch or they will need to replace the LNB and run 4 cables to the SWM16 switch?

I think they just replace the 8 with a 16 and your good to go.

I think they just replace the 8 with a 16 and your good to go.

They will remove the SWiM LNB and replace it with a standard LNB. They will then run 4 cables into the house and add the SWiM 16 and power inserter.

They will remove the SWiM LNB and replace it with a standard LNB. They will then run 4 cables into the house and add the SWiM 16 and power inserter.

Wow, it's that different ?
You use a everyday LNB with a SWiM set up ?
Are you talking about a 3sl or what LNB ?

I'm glad you chimed in, thats why I said i think in my post.

I would have thought that they would have used the same SWM LNB set up at least.
Why did they make it so complicated ?

Yea no kidding. I guess I won't be adding anymore tuners after all. I don't want 4 more wires coming in.

Yea no kidding. I guess I won't be adding anymore tuners after all. I don't want 4 more wires coming in.

I suppose you could mount this all outside if you wanted to, if you keep it out of the weather, then it's just the normal coax coming in. :)

I suppose you could mount this all outside if you wanted to, if you keep it out of the weather, then it's just the normal coax coming in. :)

If you mounted the SWiM 16 outside you would still need to have two cables coming into the house. There are two outputs from the SWiM 16 that support 8 tuners each.

If you mounted the SWiM 16 outside you would still need to have two cables coming into the house. There are two outputs from the SWiM 16 that support 8 tuners each.

So those two cables go into 2 SWM8 splitters, right? I guess 2 cables is better than 4 cables though.

Here's a diagram of the SWM 16 setup. This is what I have installed as well since I have the SWM 16 setup to support my 5 DVRs.

swm-16-diagram.jpg

Looking at the diagram, if installed outside it actually needs 3 cable runs to inside the house? One more for the power inserter?

Here's a diagram of the SWM 16 setup. This is what I have installed as well since I have the SWM 16 setup to support my 5 DVRs.

swm-16-diagram.jpg

Looking at the diagram, if installed outside it actually needs 3 cable runs to inside the house? One more for the power inserter?

There are several different set up depending on how many you need.
With the 8 set up, I ran a line from the lnb/ground block to the PI in and out of the PI to a splitter.

However the 16 looks quite a bit different.
Q. Nothing coming OUT of the PI on the 16 required ?
That would be the Signal to IRD side of things from the picture.

Correct. For some reason I thought my power inserter was on one of the splitters but I was wrong. Just went down and looked and my setup is 100% the same as the diagram.

Correct. For some reason I thought my power inserter was on one of the splitters but I was wrong. Just went down and looked and my setup is 100% the same as the diagram.

OK, so it's 3 or 4 cables from the LNB to the SWM16. I do like to keep switches inside so I guess 4 cables will be needed. Thank you all for the information.

it depends on if another receiver other than the R22 works with SWM. A post above mentions the R16 but I didnt think they did.

There are only 3 SD DVR's
R15...not SWM compatible
R16...unknown
R22...SWM compatible

also with MRV wouldnt they have to give him a R22?

So, if I order the SD-DVR will I get the R22? The CSR I just spoke to said she couldn't guarantee it and I understand that. But like Iceberg mentioned above, the R22 is the only SWM and MRV compatible SD-DVR so I should get an R22, correct?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts