Got DTV installed yesterday - not too pleased

Status
Please reply by conversation.

maverick22

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 8, 2015
Dallas, TX
1) PQ seems to have gone downhill - looks only slightly better than Uverse which I just came from. I had DTV 2-3 years ago, and it looked better then than it does now (same TV by the way). Also, my parents currently have DTV and it looks better than my new setup. This is what I was most excited about --to return to awesome PQ. I am completely underwhelmed however.

Would going through an AVR affect PQ? When I previously had DTV I wasn't going through an AVR.

2) clients take about 4-5 seconds to change channels (Uverse's channel changing was almost instant).

3) Installer said if get a 4K tv would have to set up using the client -- no way I'd put one of those slow clients on my main TV

4) Recordings don't seem reliable and seem to be a pain. I went into the guide last night and recorded 2 programs overnight. Only 1 of the 2 recorded for some reason. I played around with recordings more this morning. Why are some downloading and pending? I could tell that slowed down the genie while downloading.

Also, it appears there are about 3-4 ways to a record. Everywhere I look it seems as though there is something that doesn't look like it's going to record even though I just set it up! With Uverse I could pick up my phone, find what I wanted almost instantly and set to record in probably under 10 seconds (and it was reliable).

Is there a way to verify "Scheduled Recordings"? With Uverse I could even do this from the app.

5) While the installer was here he made it seem like you could go back 72 hours for all shows. He didn't mention it's only for certain programs (at least that's what one of the manuals he left behind says).

I switched to DTV from Uverse to save about $40 a month. Uverse was fast, rock-solid in terms of reliability, recorded everything properly like I liked and with ease, and PQ is now basically the same. I wish I would have just stayed with Uverse and paid the extra if this is how it's going to be like.

Any help/suggestions with any/all of these would be appreciated. Thanks!

1. the avr can affect pq. turn off any video processing, or hook directly to tv.
also make sure your unit is only sending 720p/1080i/1080p
2. avoid clients
3. dtv is going client server route. from the last leak of the hs17, get used to clients
4. did you record from satellite or on demand?
i usually go to the guide, find the program, hit the record button.
5. cant use these features, as i have no internet

Reactions: maverick22
1. It is possible, depending on your AVR. Not sure whether DTV should have better or worse PQ than Uverse. Mine is pretty good, but not quite as good as OTA in my market. Better than Cable or Dish though. I have a Pioneer VSX-90 AVR.

2. DTV clients are really slow compared to Tivo Minis, so probably the same compared to Uverse as well.

3. Agreed. The C61k is not usable on the primary TV for me.

4. I find recordings to be pretty reliable, especially compared to what Dish and Tivo customers are dealing with right now. The mobile app will allow you to submit recordings, but there is no way I have found to confirm they will record except going to the To Do list on the Genie (i.e. using the remote on the TV the Genie is connected to). Be aware that DTV has "integrated" on-demand (downloads) and scheduled recordings. If you tell it to get a specific season of something that is available on-demand, it will go download all of those episodes. If you just tell it to record new episodes or all episodes, it should only record them, and not download them.

5. Trust the printed documentation.

I have a wireless client in my bedroom and I've posted about this several times on the boards, their client is total crap!
Its slow, channel switch slowly and time to time it needs to be restarted because it becomes so slow that its impossible to fast forward stuff or rewind...just never snappy like the actual receiver.
When I move to the new APT I am going to have them install an actual receiver for the 2nd room instead of a client unless they come up with a better 2nd gen client that is as good as the U-Verse or TiVo clients.

Reactions: ncted
The funny thing is...when Uverse was installed, it looked the same as far as PQ before and after my AVR was hooked up. Maybe it's not the AVR after all.

What can be to blame for poor PQ? He installed a new dish, used the same cabling in attic, new HDMIs, and new receivers.

Picture quality varies from channel to channel. Are you seeing lower quality on all channels?

Picture quality varies from channel to channel. Are you seeing lower quality on all channels?

Yes some channels are better than others. I know Fox isn't great. On my parents' though and from memory from when I previously had DTV NBC, CBS, ABC all looked great!

However, with my new installation even NBC, ABC, and CBS look "cable-like." It reminds me of Dish (HD Lite). The resolutions on the Genie are 720, 1080i/p. Don't know what's going on.

Yes some channels are better than others. I know Fox isn't great. On my parents' though and from memory from when I previously had DTV NBC, CBS, ABC all looked great!

However, with my new installation even NBC, ABC, and CBS look "cable-like." It reminds me of Dish (HD Lite). The resolutions on the Genie are 720, 1080i/p. Don't know what's going on.
Local channels can have lower quality if the feed from the station isn't at full bitrate.

Local channels can have lower quality if the feed from the station isn't at full bitrate.

Yes, but it's not just locals. Even Disney, which I remember having spectacular PQ, looks just like cable/Uverse. That channel used to really "pop" and look very sharp with DTV.

It's unlikely a cabling issue. Have you tried different inputs on the tv? How about different picture settings?

It's unlikely a cabling issue. Have you tried different inputs on the tv? How about different picture settings?

I have not tried different inputs yet. I have tried different picture settings, and I can't get them up to my standards.

I got them set years ago how I liked them and haven't changed them since. The only thing that could have possibly changed them I would assume is the AVR that was installed a couple of years ago. You would think Uverse's PQ would have taken a hit as well if the AVR was the problem. As mentioned Uverse looked the same before/after the AVR was installed.

Most people here think that D*'s picture quality is exceptional.
I would tinker with your settings and see what you can come up with.

Well, as I mentioned, I had it 2-3 years ago, and it look really good to me! I could really notice a difference over Time Warner. I changed from DTV to Uverse though because our promos ran out, and I got tired of it going out in the rain. When Uverse was installed, I instantly noticed Uverse is not nearly as sharp as DTV.

However, now I switch from Uverse to DTV, and Uverse and DTV look the same! I don't get it.

I've found a couple of calibration suggestions online, and I'm still not thrilled.

*By the way, how do you record shows normally? I want to prevent "downloading On Demand things." Also, how do you watch On Demand without downloading?

Thanks for all the help so far, guys!

Well, as I mentioned, I had it 2-3 years ago, and it look really good to me! I could really notice a difference over Time Warner. I changed from DTV to Uverse though because our promos ran out, and I got tired of it going out in the rain. When Uverse was installed, I instantly noticed Uverse is not nearly as sharp as DTV.

However, now I switch from Uverse to DTV, and Uverse and DTV look the same! I don't get it.

I've found a couple of calibration suggestions online, and I'm still not thrilled.

*By the way, how do you record shows normally? I want to prevent "downloading On Demand things." Also, how do you watch On Demand without downloading?

Thanks for all the help so far, guys!
When I set up Recordings, I go to the guide, find my show, highlight it, hit the Record button ... (twice if you want to record the series.
I then go into the shows info and Series Record section and set it for First Run Only ... the first Run only is a personal preference as I don't like recording reruns, so do.

I rarely ever use the Search for a show I need right away, I will use it if I'm looking for something several days away.

As for the On Demand stuff, you can get that in the search section .., which may be how you started recording it.
The OD stuff starts on channels 1000 and 1100 ... the majority of the channels have OD available, if you add 1000 to any channel wit OD features, it will go to that channel and you can download any current show episodes (most anyways).
For example, USA is 242, the OD version is 1242.

When I set up Recordings, I go to the guide, find my show, highlight it, hit the Record button ... (twice if you want to record the series.
I then go into the shows info and Series Record section and set it for First Run Only ... the first Run only is a personal preference as I don't like recording reruns, so do.

I rarely ever use the Search for a show I need right away, I will use it if I'm looking for something several days away.

As for the On Demand stuff, you can get that in the search section .., which may be how you started recording it.
The OD stuff starts on channels 1000 and 1100 ... the majority of the channels have OD available, if you add 1000 to any channel wit OD features, it will go to that channel and you can download any current show episodes (most anyways).
For example, USA is 242, the OD version is 1242.

Okay, thanks a lot for the info!

I just thought about something. I don't have a 4k TV but told them I will be getting one soon. They sent an HR54 and 2 C61 clients even though I don't have any 4k TVs yet. Could that be a reason as to why I'm not getting a spectacular picture?

I don't get something. My wife is trying to watch episodes of "Big Little Lies." Not all episodes appear to be viewed through the DTV Genie. However, through the DTV app, you can use On Demand (I believe that's what it is--blue "cast" to TV looking button) and watch every episode. Why would it be available through the app but not the actual Genie (unless I missed something).

Also are downloads rentals? Some of the shows have "view until" or something like that.

Any advice for on the go viewing (watching iphone/ipad in car)?

Sorry this is all new to me. I would have asked the installer, but I thought things would be much more straight forward.

Thanks again

Okay, thanks a lot for the info!

I just thought about something. I don't have a 4k TV but told them I will be getting one soon. They sent an HR54 and 2 C61 clients even though I don't have any 4k TVs yet. Could that be a reason as to why I'm not getting a spectacular picture?

I don't get something. My wife is trying to watch episodes of "Big Little Lies." Not all episodes appear to be viewed through the DTV Genie. However, through the DTV app, you can use On Demand (I believe that's what it is--blue "cast" to TV looking button) and watch every episode. Why would it be available through the app but not the actual Genie (unless I missed something).

Also are downloads rentals? Some of the shows have "view until" or something like that.

Any advice for on the go viewing (watching iphone/ipad in car)?

Sorry this is all new to me. I would have asked the installer, but I thought things would be much more straight forward.

Thanks again

I have the HR54 and C61K. PQ is not an issue for either of those. The only real niggle I have with PQ is just that motion with MPEG4 does not look quite as smooth as MPEG2, at least when comparing DTV to OTA. I do not routinely see compression artifacts or image softness like I saw when I had Dish.

Not sure about the HBO On Demand question, but you can always watch it on HBO Go if you have a streaming device. Just login with your DTV account credentials.

On demand downloads do have an expiration date, but the interface will make it clear if it is something you have to pay extra for, like a new release movie rental.

With the DirecTV app, you can download recorded content for offline viewing using the Mobile DVR functionality describe here: https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/directv/KM1040967 . It can take a little time to get working correctly, so be patient.

You can also watch certain live and on demand content over the cellular network, and, if you have AT&T Wireless, that streaming does not count against your data allotment.

Keep the questions coming. I think I speak for most here that we are happy to help.

Not sure about the HBO On Demand question, but you can always watch it on HBO Go if you have a streaming device. Just login with your DTV account credentials.

I Always watch HBO Go on the Roku, real 1080P Picture and Dolby Digital Plus sound, so much better then 1080i and Dolby Digital.

Sent from my iPad using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: ncted
Did some research last night and found someone on the other satellite forum mentioned they think their Genie doesn't provide as good PQ. Come to think about it my sister has a Genie at her house (HR44), and it to me looks a little on the soft side (more cable-like as well). My parents have old HD receivers, and their PQ looks fantastic.

Could it be that these new Genies are delivering "softer pictures?" I know some of you say the PQ is good, but have you also tried an older HD, non-genie receiver on the same TV to compare?

Thanks

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts