Got my license!

I first wanted to get my amateur license in the 1970's. I was a electronics guy since I was a kid. My grandfather had a radio and TV repair business and got me into it. I used to love going to Radio Shack and getting components to build projects.

Last year my son noticed I wasn't really working on the dish farm like I used to and asked me about it. Well it seems I was I in the book store and found a copy of the ARRL Technicians Handbook and bought it. I read that book like it was a bible. I didn't have internet at home and it most non work related sites are blocked at work. Now I have a different hobby and feel I can't learn enough. I haven't decided on all the equipment yet. I'm not rushing that.

So far I have a Baofeng UV-5R that I have been monitoring with for a few months and a Tram 1480 antenna on the way. I want to get into building antennas too .

Congrats to Psikic again for for getting the Extra. I will study before the Field Day in June when they will hold another VE session. My son is going to take the test then also.

Reactions: Titanium and KE4EST
For 2m and 70cm the J-pole antenna is an easy build and has some gain over isotropic. I actually build most of my base station antennas but for mobile it's difficult to find the parts and make it work neatly so those are store bought.

I had to take down my 10-15-20m beam and 6 element 6m antennas last spring, my tower top section needs attention, but can run 20m through a long-wire that works fairly well... Been doing 60m NBEMS testing for a couple of weeks for ARES up here with the long-wire, but if someone wants to come up with a Fq and sked for 20 or 40m I'll have to drop by and say hi for sure!

I want to get into building antennas too .

That is actually a good idea. :)

Just got my first HF radio set up. I've checked into a statewide daily net, but not made my first QSO. Anyone want to meet me somewhere and see if we can hear each other? I'd like to know if I'm getting out well to anyone, besides those in my local area. Still a little mic-shy on HF, so I'm not yet comfortable enough for a CQ.

I am listening on 7206kc right now as well.

Got a tone QRM on 7206, so nogo for me there. I've been able to hear plenty of west coast tonight, so likely will be able to hear you in the surrounding area. 7209?

Sorry, forgot to mention I had computer problems before and didn't see your messages until just now. W5BRX

Well, I'm sure the interference isn't helping. But my antenna situation is less than optimal as well. I am currently just using an end-fed long wire, with a manual antenna tuner. My rig is currently a fairly old IC-735. I decided to go with a cheap used rig for now, until I get my feet wet and then I'll buy something like the IC-7300 in about 8-12 months.

Reactions: Titanium
I had a IC-735 one time. Nice basic rig.
I hear someone very weak on 7209.

Had to shut down shortly after posting as we had another electrical storm pass through then we lost power. I heard a few weak CQs 7206 and 7209 on the Sedona and KDS Web SDR sites.

Let's start a new thread and try to organize a Satelliteguys Net. 40 seems to be open across North America as long as the storms are kicking up to much.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

That sounds like a good idea Brian. Now that I think about it, we had a large group of storms just to my west in Oklahoma, and I'm sure they were contributing to the noise.

I had totally forgotten about Web SDR! I don't need to bug anyone to see if I can be heard, I'll just pull up the same frequency on a few remote SDRs and call CQ to see if I can hear myself. Probably won't get to try until sometime this weekend.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts