Status
Please reply by conversation.

chaskuchar

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Apr 16, 2010
saint charles, missouri
first thing, i thought it was round, now i know it was oval. spent half a day looking for signal on the fence post. failed. went down to home depot and bought an 8' 2 3/4" round post and strapped it to the fence and got 100' of rg6 to run it into the house. then looked at google to map south from the fence post. i was a lot off of direct south and got that corrected. still looking for signal so set openbox to ccc9 english channel. then moved dish up and down. lo and behold i was ten points off on discrimination. got it at 29 instead of 39. i liked looking for signal with regular tv instead of finding signal. i think the regular tv channel comes in quicker. anyway, then went to south at 90 and peaked the signal with the discrimination setting and then all the satellites came in including 125w. montana pbs was coming in very good. one thing i forgot to bring with me from nebraska was my geopro dsr200. i like finding signals with it better than with the openbox. anyway, my k band dish is gone and i am left with the 6' and 8' c band dishes. charlie

This is interesting post, it would be even more interesting and educational if written with more particulars and/or pictures. Why did you not succeeded using fence post, but 2 3/4" post - attached to the same fence - helped? You described everything very briefly, this is OK for experienced members, but there are some still lacking routine knowledge. I guess you were using motorized dish, am I right? The word "discrimination", do you mean it is altitude (elevation)? I read somewhere that one term is for motorized dish, and the other word for steady dish, but still I am confused. Cheers, polg

sorry for the confusion. yes, i was using a motorized dish. sadoun motor i think it was an s280. the first fence post was square and i was not able to position the antenna correctly. the second post was round post so i could accurately get true south. about discrimination, i set true south with mainly latitude and then set the discrimination to follow the arc of the track of the satellites. i am probably using the wrong term for it but i am still learning here. thanks, charlie

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)