Got the HD box the other day....

mdovell

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 8, 2005
Pretty impressive on things...I get the locals...hbo...tnt, fox sports net boston (mostly no programming except when celtics are on), nesn I think...

The only problem I see with some things on Hd is it seems that when I got the tv and when I got the box there seems to be just one sentence that if you don't read it your stuck...

Example 1

On the TV initially it didn't say anything about selecting the av's for the input...I was scanning and basically waiting...and waiting...for not much
once I read that the composite cables (since changed to HDMI! :D ) could be selected it helped quite a bit

example 2

Because of the higher resolution anything that's non hd has bars on the sides (which can be understandable given that if it's not widescreen on a widescreen set...)

However on my set generally you can expand it (yes it does cut off some of the picture)...the cable box disables the tv controls of this but ALLOWS it on it's own remote...again it's just one sentence in the setup that explains it.

I think they are working on the ondemand channels because it looks like the adelphia switchover happened on the same time of this...so bloomberg was dropped :mad: but it isn't that bad as I've gained azntv, history international, encore channels, sundance, verses, IFC :D

Besides I can get bloomberg on 1130 on am radio at night...

The cable box doesnt disable your TV, it has to do with the signal your tv is getting from the box, SOME tvs allow you to change the aspect ratio when in an HD mode, some do not.. What I recomend in your case is installing 2 inuts to your tv.. One for watching your STB channels and the HD one for HD channels.. in STD mode your tv should allow you to change the aspect ratio (get rid of the bars) without problem..

I do recomend though in HD mode to use the cables remote to adjust the size, because if you start using the tv, and the box remote youll get a picture that is just crazy

Actually I now notice that the speed channel is gone...and american life? who would pay more to see that anyway?

I understand what you mean on the inputs although the aspect ratio can be changed pretty well with the cable remote...the remote works well for everything (except the dvd player but that's a six year old one)

Also they didn't say that the thing is a duel tuner! Found out the other day that I can record and watch different channels at the same time....although the HD movies take a HUGE chunk of space. One HD one (some western...) and one analog and I'm already at 23% full :eek:

There's also some good stuff locally although I wish they'd show more of it...wcvb in boston the chronicle comes in fantastic...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts