GPS - Magellan Maestro 4000???

WalksInDarkness

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Aug 17, 2005
Kekistan
Hi All,

Maybe someone here can help me, or direct me to a GPS forum.

I just bought a GPS - Magellan Maestro 4000, for my car. Basically the thing works far better than I could ever had imagined. HOWEVER, there is one major flaw: there seems to be no way for me to download addresses (aka POIs) from my PC to the GPS. The GPS has a built in USB, and it comes with a program for creating the custom files. But the program doesn't run off of address data, you actually have to put in the GPS global coordinates... WTF??? Ideally, I would like to be able to look up an address or POIs on my PC, and download it into the GPS. Or at bare minimum have the PC program allow me to cut-n-paste addresses manually from websites. Having to manually enter the "GPS global coordinates" seems like stone-age technology. And having to read the address off my PC and manually type it into the GPS touchscreen is ridiculously time consuming. The pre-programmed POIs on the GPS are a total joke, they are just POIs that are endorsed by AAA (which is very sleazy business practice IMHO); so if I am looking for a restaurant in my area, it only lists about 10% of the actual businesses. I would be willing to pay for some subcription to a website or software that could do this for me.

ANY advice is GREATLY appreciated!

TIA,
Will

Thanks!

I am not sure about your specific model but there are POI downloads available at many sites on the web.

Here is one: POI Factory | new & interesting places for your GPS ™

It talks about loading on the roadmates but not the maestros. Did it come with any software?

Thanks! I will check out the webiste.
The Maestro only came with the program I decribed, it looked like something a freshman college student made in 1990 or something (primitive). And the only thing it lets you do is enter in longitude latitude coordinates and give it a name, then you can download it into the GPS.

-Will

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts