Grass isn't always greener

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mxd

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 17, 2005
N. Indiana
I am a previous D* customer who left them after 7 years. The only reason I left was because the local channel that carried the Indiana basketball games is carried on E* and not D*. My contract with them will be up soon and I have a few questions.

I still have the D* 3lnb dish. Will this still work in the South Bend, IN dma and get all the available HD, and, can I install it myself and just have the receivers shipped to me?

I have seen a lot of horror stories about the HD DVR, are these stories the norm or just a few people making the most noise? Can't be much worse then the crap I have now with E*!!

Thanks

When you sign up again, make them install the 5 LNB which will make your HD watching future proof (as far as been announced). This way, anything that is on the spotbeams or the new sats will be available.

The HR20 is not as bad as all the posts. If you get a bad unit, its really bad. If not, its got some issues but getting better. I have the latest software and its stable with a few do not do's on my end. If I follow a pattern, it records everything I want, plays beautifully, and works.

So worth a shot. I think the prices go up for new customers starting in February so you might want to jump on a good D* offer.

I am a previous D* customer who left them after 7 years. The only reason I left was because the local channel that carried the Indiana basketball games is carried on E* and not D*. My contract with them will be up soon and I have a few questions.

I still have the D* 3lnb dish. Will this still work in the South Bend, IN dma and get all the available HD, and, can I install it myself and just have the receivers shipped to me?

I have seen a lot of horror stories about the HD DVR, are these stories the norm or just a few people making the most noise? Can't be much worse then the crap I have now with E*!!

Thanks
You can still use the 3LNB dish but it no longer gets all the HD. You need a 5 LNB dish for new HD channels and you will need the H20 or the HR20 to get the new MPEG4 channels. The HR20 works at least as good as the DISH DVR but it is no where as reliable as the old TiVos that built D* reputation for DVRs. D* needs another year of improvements on the HR20 before I would rate it as good but I'd rather have it than the VIP 622.

Thanks

I am several days into mine and have some friends with it for months now.

I think the bottom line is that it is getting much better.

I had some problems off the bat but the new update, 11b, cured many of them. Seems most on DBStalk feel the same way..

Of course, there are extremes....some have never had problems/some always have problems, ext....

I think it is worth a shot getting.....

Hey mxd, if you switch...

...let me know how D* does with the South Bend locals.

I'm really tired of the pathetic job E* has done with our SD locals. Most days, I could get a far better picture with tin foil and rabbit ears... but the 942 won't record analog OTA so I'm stuck with the beyond-crappy E* reception for ABC and CW (non-HD stations).

Been thinking about D* for a long while now - mainly because Dish takes too long to add new channels (Trio came and went and Dish never had it, and they still don't carry LOGO) - but like you I've been scared off by the HR20: it has all the stink on it of the Dish 921 (and I've already lived through that nightmare).

It does sound like D* has gotten a lot of the issues resolved with this box, and I really like the idea of dual OTA tuners. If D* does even a mildly better job with the SB SD locals, then I'm ready to dump Dish too.

If you are looking to become unfrustrated with locals, D* wont help....seems they extend it once every few months. Ugh

But, the new sats SHOULD get everyone locals in HD.....so maybe it is coming to an end

...let me know how D* does with the South Bend locals.

I'm really tired of the pathetic job E* has done with our SD locals. Most days, I could get a far better picture with tin foil and rabbit ears... but the 942 won't record analog OTA so I'm stuck with the beyond-crappy E* reception for ABC and CW (non-HD stations).

Been thinking about D* for a long while now - mainly because Dish takes too long to add new channels (Trio came and went and Dish never had it, and they still don't carry LOGO) - but like you I've been scared off by the HR20: it has all the stink on it of the Dish 921 (and I've already lived through that nightmare).

It does sound like D* has gotten a lot of the issues resolved with this box, and I really like the idea of dual OTA tuners. If D* does even a mildly better job with the SB SD locals, then I'm ready to dump Dish too.

I have noticed a little better PQ with D*, particulary on the LP channel 57. I was hesitent to switch because of losing channel 46 and the IU games, 46 not on D*, but discovered I could get it OTA. NO PROBLEMS whatsoever with the HR20, works great, and the installer from Plymouth done a fantastic job!

I have noticed a little better PQ with D*, particulary on the LP channel 57. I was hesitent to switch because of losing channel 46 and the IU games, 46 not on D*, but discovered I could get it OTA. NO PROBLEMS whatsoever with the HR20, works great, and the installer from Plymouth done a fantastic job!

I luv happy endings :river always brings a tear to my eyes, yes I know how you feel I left E* for D* 2 years ago now and am quite happy that I did !!!!! Glad to hear it worked out for you as well.

Thanks for the 411

There's nothing like a review from someone in the neighborhood.

Just being totally honest... you are best to re-sign up with D* under your wifes name and use a cell number or number that wasn't under your old account... D* will jump through hoops to get new subscribers and they will look at you as a returning customer and not do near as much...

you could prolly get EVERYTHING done for nothing or next to nothing as a new sub.

Just being totally honest... you are best to re-sign up with D* under your wifes name and use a cell number or number that wasn't under your old account... D* will jump through hoops to get new subscribers and they will look at you as a returning customer and not do near as much...

you could prolly get EVERYTHING done for nothing or next to nothing as a new sub.

Wish I would have thought of that! Then I could have gotten the free movie channels and the DVD player. Oh well. . . .

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)