Gray Hoverman Homemade Antenna

hobbsholepro

Original poster
Jan 29, 2007
I'm in a deep fringe area and my channel master 4228 with cm7777 pre-amp signal is scattered at best especially when the leaves are on the trees.

Some sources say they have had better success using a gray hoverman homemade antenna.

Has anyone made of these lately and is this truly a good antenna for deep fringe?

I built one, I have pic posted somewhere in here of it, but I'll attach it again. I did some modifications to reduce size and weight and I built only a single bay... It measures 36x24 inches and I used sch40 PVC 1/2inch with 6 guage copper ground wire (look in lowes or other stores Miscut wire section) I needed just under 10 feet to make my 2 elements.

Pic is on my deck as I was getting ready to cap the ends of the pvc, then I painted the PVC black for UV protection. I used hose clamps and a couple U-bolts to attach to my antenna mast pole.

only 1 word to describe it... perfomance! I use the same amp and I get stations ranging from channels 2-56 (note it claims it will not do lo-vhf, but it works just fine for me). I pick up stations from 50-60 miles away without much issue. I'm sure a double bay with a reflector would work great in fringe area. I left the reflector off for bi-directional reception.

edit: Found the drawing I used to get my mesurements for each leg of the element. This drawing is best printed on a plotter if you want to use it as a template, but the full build of the one in the PDF makes it heavy and expensive. If you look at the PDF, you can see how I took that drawing and made my own design.

Attachments

• IMAGE_021.jpg
    IMAGE_021.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 7,501
  • gray-hovermanantennadrawing.pdf
    92.5 KB · Views: 5,149
SatinKzo,
Thanks for the info...that is the best diagram I've seen of this antenna. That will help a lot....
I think I'll go large and make the double-bay version....
I appreciate the response....

I built a homemade channel master ripoff (w/4 pairs of bow ties) and a gray hoverman very similar to the one pictured above. I wasn't satisfied with either and they appeared about the same to me.

Instead I found a picture (http://www.2150.com/broadcast/images/square_shooter_1.jpg) of the guts of a square shooter antenna and went from there.

If you think about it. The gray hoverman should work better than the bow ties because the individual bits of it are closer to circular. Each side of each channel master bow tie is half of a squished diamond shape. The gray hoverman is a series of half squares set on top of each other. The square shooter is made up of a number of half circles of diminishing sizes.

I made a shape similar to the square shooter and after much tinkering ended up with something that was slightly better than the other antennas I built but around 9" x 9". I added a cheapo pre amp from ebay and for the first time in years I'm getting reliable local tv with the antenna only 6' off the ground.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts