Great News! The WOW is HERE NOW!

DarrellP

I Think, therefore, I am.
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 6, 2003
Salem, OR
;) Coming from me, this is a HUGE statement, but I am watching RaveHD right now; The Montreaux Jazz Festival Part 3 and The Pretenders are on and there is ZERO Mosquito noise and this channel has the WOW factor. :p I normally see it in the wire mesh on the microphone and the metal objects in the band, but it is nonexistent. :shocked

I am happy, if Voom can make all the channels look this good, they will ROCK. Well, they already rock, maybe they can roll as well.

I can't check any other channels at the moment since I am recording, but I will check as soon as this is over and see how the others are doing. :yes

I was watching the shark show on DiscHD on VOOM and then switching over to DiscHD on Directv and they looked the same. IF Directv gives DiscHD more bandwidth than VOOM I sure couldnt tell. Also, TNTHD looks great tonight....Im glad they are converting more and more movies into true HD. Either way HD is looking good on VOOM. But at the same time if VOOM has a chance to up the bandwidth I would love them to do so. I like my HD as good as HDNET's quality.

TNTHD us marshals looks good except its dropping frames and showing an occasional black screen. Picture is great though. Rave looks great, I agree with Darrell.

Hmmm. Shirakami Mountains on Equator looks better to me than normal as well and I guess I should know. They play it once a day I think :rolleyes:

Yes..... ALL my HD is looking FAB here in Indiana. I'm waiting for "Eye Over...." at 10pm to see if the WOW is there as well - I had a lot of studdering yesterday.....

I noticed this too. voom needs to keep up with this PQ. This another reason I switched from cable to satellite.

I was out of town most of the weekend, came back Sunday night, and I'm not sure if it was because I didn't see much TV (and what I did was news and what not and a SD TV) but I was rubbing my eyes all Sunday night. Everything looked smooth and crisp on my DVI! I switched it back to component and it looked damn good. What the hell happened, Sean is there any word about Voom pulling bandwidth around or something?

when i was wathing The 4400(the new episode) on USA (sd) with the wife, a noticably extra crappy channel, I literraly saw the picture get sharper. It still doesnt look all that good but i could sware it got sharper when i watched last night. during a commercial break i switched to Travel ch and History ch (2 of the worse SD on voom and saw no change to that ch, I wonder if they were playing with bandwith last night or was it a power spike at there uplink, i really doubt they were messin with bandwith after 8pm on a sunday night.

MR>C

I have seen Equator HD make a noticeable jump from when it first launched, and I could swear that last night the Shriikami Mountains episode which I have seen twice before (not in it's entirety) look noticeable sharper. I had to strain to see mosquito noise, then I switched to HBO West feed and saw noise, went to DiscoveryHD and Rave and hardly saw any mosquito noise. If they are playing with b/w then they are reallocating them to their more popular channels? Or is it just my imagination? You have no idea what's its like watching only SD on a crappy 19" TV for a few days then plopping down in front of your 60" in HDTV, you get all kinds of giggly.

I checked Equator during the same show last night, and though the mosquito noise was reduced, the compression artifacts were still very high. They've done something with this channel but in doing so, have caused a much softer picture. If you guys know what the compression effect on Dish looks like with SD channels, this is similar to what EquatorHD has now.

Thank You!!!

My wife and I were watching Arrested Development on Fox on the OTA from an old attic antennae (not on the VOOM OTA- doesn't come in) and we switched over to US Marshalls on TNT HD and I said DAMN that looks so good! Must've done a sofware update or somehting! My wife insisted it was just becasue we were watching crappy old OTA broadcast and that was the difference. We flipped around and everything looked noticibly better! Glad I wasn't the only one! Thank you all for vindication! I win the bet, so now my wife owes me the usual....one crisp dollar!!!

So is this a short term fix, will this PQ stay, or just a tease? Anyone know?

dtilton said:
I win the bet, so now my wife owes me the usual....one crisp dollar!!!
I used to get something better from my wife for a bet. :D ;) :p :shocked :eek:

so do I, just couldn't resist the "Trading Places" reference........ Kudos to all who got it!

I thought originally it was because I hadn't seen HDTV in a while, I checked the online guide the Fox RSNs that were listed are gone, now I didn't check the PQ of Moov or Channel 999, or anything new regarding channels dropped or added or new Voom info.. nothing. Then when I logged on this morning I read DarrellP talking about good Voom PG and I knew.. the end of the world is near!

Dvlos said:
Then when I logged on this morning I read DarrellP talking about good Voom PG and I knew.. the end of the world is near!
:neener

I noticed it last night and today too. PQ looks much better than it has. Even Comedy Central looks better. (I had to set the Replay for Blue Collar TV tonight). I really hope this better PQ is not temporary.

PQ is still good here in Indiana. Some sound and video break ups on HBO (Harry Potter looked Fab even with these issues)- but most everything is looking very good. It sounds(Looks) like VOOM is making some great headway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts