Great News - Voom Is Here To Stay!!

riffjim4069 said:
Did anyone noticed that certain members of the Dolan family recent converted shares of Class B Common Stock (voting rights) for Class A Common Stock (non-voting shares)? Very interesting!!!
They have been doing that quite a bit lately. There have been 5 section 4 filings in the past month.

JL

Minsk1 said:
I use original 61.5 E* dish for V*. Installer just connected wires from that dish to Voom receiver.
You may want to fine tune your dish, I did the same thing and my Voom signal was only about 85 and my Dish signal was over 100. I tuned it using the Voom receiver and went up to 96, so they are off just a skosh from each other.

justalurker said:
They have been doing that quite a bit lately. There have been 5 section 4 filings in the past month.

JL

If you go further back, it started back in November, a lot of these stock transactions involve Charles Dolan's wife also.

I have heard people throwing around the number 26,000 for a month or so and I was wondering why they focus so much on it. What they fail to realize is that VOOM only started signing up customers on a large scale basis since this last May.

Thats less than a year and in fact we are adding fairly substantial amounts of customers with the new promotions every week. Enough that I know that 26k number is no longer relevant. I don't want to give exact numbers since I work in one of the inbound call centers that takes orders for new subs and aren't entirely sure as to how they would feel about that. I have been reading the forums for about a month or so (since my job was at stake) but honestly its buisness as normal and they continue to roll out new promotions and work on new things. I hate being vauge and I would like to give hard numbers but I like my job even more so I won't (the little voice in the back of my head told me it would be a bad idea).

I guess my point is that having aggressively signed customers up for less than a year and adding subs at a clip of well over several thousand a month it would seem to me that in fact the subscriber base would cease to be an issue after this year. Speaking as someone in the trenches with the sales department the situation doesn't seem as bleak as some of the people have made it out to be.

The 4th Quarter numbers should certainly prove to be interesting, but I get the feeling the Jan/Feb numbers are going to be even better. Here's hoping for more channels, HD DVR, etc. in the very near future.

DarrellP said:
You may want to fine tune your dish, I did the same thing and my Voom signal was only about 85 and my Dish signal was over 100. I tuned it using the Voom receiver and went up to 96, so they are off just a skosh from each other.
Or you might upgrade to a 1m then very little or no rain fade>. the little Dishes just don't get it.

timetrax112 said:
I have heard people throwing around the number 26,000 for a month or so and I was wondering why they focus so much on it. What they fail to realize is that VOOM only started signing up customers on a large scale basis since this last May.
That number has been batted about since last November when it was announced. Cablevision hasn't updated it yet, but they should tomorrow.

One thing to remember about the number is the text surrounding it. The number is as of Sept 30th and it was at the end of a month when Voom lost customers (overall). Voom needs to have no net loss of subscribers.

Also as revealed in E*'s FCC application for the Rainbow1 and Blackhawk SD licenses, they note the 26,000 figure and that 39% of all people who tried Voom had either cancelled or were 90 days or more past due. Not a good sign.
timetrax112 said:
I know that 26k number is no longer relevant.
I agree. We will see December 31st numbers within the next 24hrs. Official numbers that can be discussed. And, of course, the text that surrounds that number will be important as well.

JL

Cablevision Agrees To Divide Assets With News Corp.
Charles Dolan Looking to finance VOOM?
By PETER GRANT Staff Reporter of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL February 23, 2005; Page B2
Cablevision Systems Corp. and News Corp. reached a deal to divvy up more than $3 billion of sports and entertainment assets they own jointly, fueling expectations that the country's sixth-largest cable operator is getting ready to put itself up for sale.

Under the most significant terms of the deal, Cablevision will acquire News Corp.'s 40% stake in Madison Square Garden, the New York Knicks and Rangers and four regional sports networks. In exchange, News Corp. will get Cablevision's 60% interest in two regional sports networks and Fox Sports Net. Some other assets are also involved in the swap.

Cablevision and News Corp. have been negotiating off-and-on for more than two years over ways to unwind their joint holdings. Pressure was rising on them to cut a deal because at the end of this year News Corp. had an option to sell its stake in the assets to Cablevision for cash.

Nevertheless, Wall Street saw yesterday's announcement as yet another sign that Cablevision was preparing itself for a sale. "It's a step in the right direction of simplifying what is an overly complex portfolio," says Craig Moffett, analyst with Sanford C. Bernstein & Co. "It puts Cablevision one step closer to an eventual asset sale."

Cablevision shares rose 11 cents in 4 p.m. composite trading on the New York Stock Exchange to $28.05, just $1.20 below its 52-week high hit last month. News Corp. shares went with the general market sell off, declining 40 cents, or 2.3%, at $17.01, on the exchange.

Analysts and investors have been speculating for years that Cablevision would be sold, most likely to Comcast Corp. or Time Warner Inc. But expectations have risen greatly since the beginning of the year because of a falling out between Charles Dolan, Cablevision's chairman and founder, and his son James Dolan, chief executive.

Charles Dolan wanted Cablevision to keep funding a money-losing satellite-TV venture named Voom. But James Dolan in January joined a majority of board members in cutting funding for Voom and voting to sell its only operational satellite to EchoStar Communications Corp.

Charles Dolan subsequently formed a company with another one of his sons, Tom Dolan, which cut a deal with Cablevision to buy Voom's remaining assets including 21 high-definition channels. They have until the end of February to finalize the transaction.

Charles Dolan's apparent determination to keep Voom operating has prompted some analysts to predict that he may sell his stake in Cablevision to keep the satellite service funded. "Voom will not be able to raise any external financing unless Mr. Dolan puts in at least $500 million," analyst Niraj Gupta, of Citigroup Smith Barney, wrote in a report released yesterday.

Maybe the topic should be changed to... Voom is here to stay... sorta, kinda, maybe

zombie said:
Maybe the topic should be changed to... Voom is here to stay... sorta, kinda, maybe
Or old threads should be left to die ...

Voom will still be broadcasting March 1st.
Voom will most likely still be on Rainbow 1 at 61.5 through April.
The next big decision date will be Monday - but the above still applies.

JL

fredfa said:
Cablevision Agrees To Divide Assets With News Corp.
Charles Dolan Looking to finance VOOM?
By PETER GRANT Staff Reporter of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL February 23, 2005; Page B2
Cablevision Systems Corp. and News Corp. reached a deal to divvy up more than $3 billion of sports and entertainment assets they own jointly, fueling expectations that the country's sixth-largest cable operator is getting ready to put itself up for sale.

Under the most significant terms of the deal, Cablevision will acquire News Corp.'s 40% stake in Madison Square Garden, the New York Knicks and Rangers and four regional sports networks. In exchange, News Corp. will get Cablevision's 60% interest in two regional sports networks and Fox Sports Net. Some other assets are also involved in the swap.

Cablevision and News Corp. have been negotiating off-and-on for more than two years over ways to unwind their joint holdings. Pressure was rising on them to cut a deal because at the end of this year News Corp. had an option to sell its stake in the assets to Cablevision for cash.

Nevertheless, Wall Street saw yesterday's announcement as yet another sign that Cablevision was preparing itself for a sale. "It's a step in the right direction of simplifying what is an overly complex portfolio," says Craig Moffett, analyst with Sanford C. Bernstein & Co. "It puts Cablevision one step closer to an eventual asset sale."

Cablevision shares rose 11 cents in 4 p.m. composite trading on the New York Stock Exchange to $28.05, just $1.20 below its 52-week high hit last month. News Corp. shares went with the general market sell off, declining 40 cents, or 2.3%, at $17.01, on the exchange.

Analysts and investors have been speculating for years that Cablevision would be sold, most likely to Comcast Corp. or Time Warner Inc. But expectations have risen greatly since the beginning of the year because of a falling out between Charles Dolan, Cablevision's chairman and founder, and his son James Dolan, chief executive.

Charles Dolan wanted Cablevision to keep funding a money-losing satellite-TV venture named Voom. But James Dolan in January joined a majority of board members in cutting funding for Voom and voting to sell its only operational satellite to EchoStar Communications Corp.

Charles Dolan subsequently formed a company with another one of his sons, Tom Dolan, which cut a deal with Cablevision to buy Voom's remaining assets including 21 high-definition channels. They have until the end of February to finalize the transaction.

Charles Dolan's apparent determination to keep Voom operating has prompted some analysts to predict that he may sell his stake in Cablevision to keep the satellite service funded. "Voom will not be able to raise any external financing unless Mr. Dolan puts in at least $500 million," analyst Niraj Gupta, of Citigroup Smith Barney, wrote in a report released yesterday.

I feel like Ive read this junk 10 times in other threads already. Same article with different writers. What an occupation.

zombie said:
I can be hard to let a thread that is still the "Breaking News" die.
In the world of breaking news, nothing unique has been in this thread for 4-5 days. It's old. (And that recent article about Cablevision and News Corp dividing assets has it's own thread plus additional postings in other threads. Not to mention that it has NOTHING to do with Voom's survival - the subject of this thread.)

There are more current threads to discuss Voom's potential survival.

JL

justalurker said:
In the world of breaking news, nothing unique has been in this thread for 4-5 days. It's old. (And that recent article about Cablevision and News Corp dividing assets has it's own thread plus additional postings in other threads. Not to mention that it has NOTHING to do with Voom's survival - the subject of this thread.)

There are more current threads to discuss Voom's potential survival.

JL

This is the most important news about the survival of VOOM financial problems (the letter of intent signed by C. Dolan). Once there is a definitive agreement or the opposite, that becomes the most important news to the future of VOOM. Everything else are minor compare to this.

Sean Mota said:
This is the most important news about the survival of VOOM financial problems (the letter of intent signed by C. Dolan). Once there is a definitive agreement or the opposite, that becomes the most important news to the future of VOOM. Everything else are minor compare to this.
As far as this thread goes, the last posts on that topic was made around February 20th (the Dolans converting stock). We got in to the numbers game on Feb 22nd, with a signal strength post thrown in for good measure, then that post about the Cablevision/News Corp division of assets that belonged somewhere else (certainly not in three or more threads).

And the more current information (Cablevision's teleconference and after) is in other threads.

JL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)