Greetings from Dish Team Summit Day Two!

For DISH the 5g network has to work. They have put so much money into it and the bandwith they accumulated these last 5 years. This is their future plan for the company. I see the satellite portion of the company will become less and less till they sell off any remaining satellites for as much as they can get even if they buy DIRECTV and add their subs to the mix.

Unfortunately they are trying to be the 4th cell provider in the country and they are trying to build it from the ground up ,so time is of the essence with the approaching FCC deadline in June this year and June of next. Most people will try the new cell company , if they offer a phone that is in demand and do so at low prices. But the learning curve on running this is going to be a rocky one. I just hope we don't see another Blockbuster debacle . They bought Blockbuster in a bankruptcy auction about 10 years ago and less then two years later they were all closed.

For DISH the 5g network has to work. They have put so much money into it and the bandwith they accumulated these last 5 years. This is their future plan for the company. I see the satellite portion of the company will become less and less till they sell off any remaining satellites for as much as they can get even if they buy DIRECTV and add their subs to the mix.

Unfortunately they are trying to be the 4th cell provider in the country and they are trying to build it from the ground up ,so time is of the essence with the approaching FCC deadline in June this year and June of next. Most people will try the new cell company , if they offer a phone that is in demand and do so at low prices. But the learning curve on running this is going to be a rocky one. I just hope we don't see another Blockbuster debacle . They bought Blockbuster in a bankruptcy auction about 10 years ago and less then two years later they were all closed.
I think Dish has made it clear that cell phone service is not their primary target. And we have no way of knowing what technology and/or IP the Blockbuster buy brought with it. The retail operation may never have been a factor in the buy decision.

I think Dish has made it clear that cell phone service is not their primary target. And we have no way of knowing what technology and/or IP the Blockbuster buy brought with it. The retail operation may never have been a factor in the buy decision.
Wasn’t Blockbuster purchased for their on demand technology/library? I’m pretty sure they went into it knowing the retail portion of the company was going to sink anyway, so they did not try anything with it besides advertising Dish services in stores.

Dish didn't purchase Blockbuster to save it. It was picking the meat from the bones. Dish needs 5G to work. It just seems that the consumer angle is further down the road than we'd like.

Dish didn't purchase Blockbuster to save it. It was picking the meat from the bones.
If I remember correctly, they wanted it for the branding.

Dish needs 5G to work. It just seems that the consumer angle is further down the road than we'd like.
As fast as T-Mobile is going ( and to a lesser extent, Verizon and AT&T) , Dish is going to be way behind as far as 5G home internet goes.

Reactions: AZ.

As fast as T-Mobile is going ( and to a lesser extent, Verizon and AT&T) , Dish is going to be way behind as far as 5G home internet goes.
This is why I just got two new TMO phones and the TMO 5G internet. I was wanting to wait for Dish, but the wait was going to be to long. My internet speed went up over 100 mbps. I will be also cancelling my two Starlink orders.

Reactions: AZ. and MikeD-C05
I was told the new Joey would have PIP.
I use Multi-View all the time and will swap out my equipment just for that feature.
The H318 Software has me upset...Multi-View doesn't work properly!!!
When will the Joey 4 be out? Will the people who paid for the 4K Joey get it for free, considering that they do not provide either 4K (without HDR) or PIP (that was promised and was the reason I had the Hopper 3 put in the other room)

Reactions: llokey
Brian tells us the future is now and we are going to change the way people communicate.

Brian introduces us to Amir Ahmed. He is the executive VP of Dish.

View attachment 156776

He tells us to remember this day. He says we are all disrupters. Dish is working to disrupt the telecommunication industry.

View attachment 156777

We roll another video package. It’s about redefining expectations.

Amir returns to the stage.

He talks about fragmentation. Wants to know how many remotes each of your customer have.

He introduces the Hopper Plus.

For some reason they seem to show a screen from an Apple TV.

View attachment 156778

View attachment 156779

One remote to give you everything and you always come home to Dish.

Next he introduces the Joey 4.

View attachment 156780

He says the new boxes will be available in July.

Yes, Branding. My old Hopper with Sling had BLOCKBUSTER on the right hand corner near the usb slot.
Yup. I remember that as well on my 722 and 612's. I think it was embedded in the firmware. The Movie Pack was once called Blockbuster, too. I guess they decided the brand became worthless since all that has disappeared. :(

I'm still waiting for the voom channels to return...:crying :oldlaugh
I hope you're not making fun of the 3 of us who think their purchase was all about branding. They certainly claimed they had big plans for Blockbuster beyond just the brand. But from where I'm sitting, they never executed those plans and just pissed the brand away. They left me wondering why they spent so much in the first place.

I did enjoy renting a few DVDs from Blockbuster after they were bought out. IIRC a couple/month were free, during which time I ended my DVD's by mail from Netflix.

Are you assuming the branding was the only IP/tech Dish got with the purchase? Hardly seems worth much for just that.
They wanted the brand for their pay per views . Used to say BlockBuster instead of DISH pay per views. Before DISH had the name Directv had it on their pay per views. I agree with Krell about DISH Pissing the brand away. They could of at least kept the name on their pay per views.

They wanted the brand for their pay per views . Used to say BlockBuster instead of DISH pay per views. Before DISH had the name Directv had it on their pay per views. I agree with Krell about DISH Pissing the brand away. They could of at least kept the name on their pay per views.
I don't disagree, but I do think they wanted more from the purchase than just the name. As mentioned earlier, the on-demand technology was also a target. We don't know what else might have been in the package.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)