Grounding - Important? Required?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

brians0105

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 27, 2004
I have a 30" FTA dish and it isn't grounded. How important is this? Is it required? What might happen? Cause fire, damage?

Thanks guys

All of the above!

It really should be ground to local and NEC code, I would highly recommend grounding ALL satellite installations especially FTA setups where hobbists do more tinkering with their dish, have a look at a DirecTV or Dish install for some ideas you can also have a look at the below link for what has to be done to bring it up to NEC code.

http://dbsinstall.com/Whatis/Whatisgood-5.htm

At the very least, a static electricity charge can travel down the ground shield of the coax and into your reciever, which is VERY sensitive to such things. Many reciever's electronics have been "fried" by static charges. :eek:

It is obviously much better to pass all of those charges to the ground.
A few minutes putting in a decent electrical ground can save many $$$ in the long run. :)

PS If I remember correctly, according to the National Electrical Code, a pro install has to be grounded, but I could be wrong.

All satellite system should be grounded, even with properly grounded the system, but things still happened. I have had replaced a DTV system not long ago cause by lighting hit, not direct, the system seen grounded to the accordingly procedure, but customer still got hit, loss the receiver, VCR and TV, and fire on an extension cord.

So, for bestter protection, beside the system grounded, have the best surge protector connected between the cable in and receiver. Not all surge protector are equal, get the one with warranty and name brands.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)