Primestar dish & LNB for FTA?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

RocketRay

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 28, 2004
SoCal
I've got an old Primestar dish I'm planning on using for FTA. Is it big enough? Is the LNB the correct polarity, or do I need to get a new one?

I'm gonna have to get a new LNB. The cable was cut too close to attempt reuse. The cable was two in one, though I think that's normal for an LNB, so I don't know if it had one or two outputs.

Is the housing still covering the lnb? The two outlet lnb will be covered by a housing about 8" long with two small screws on the side to loosen and remove the housing. (This is what is on my old primestar and one post each for h, v).
The other type of lnb on Primestars look closer to the dbs lnb's, just a lot larger (I do not have this type so do not know a lot about them).

Good luck

LNB info, FWIW

The LNB has two outputs, H and V. The model number is NJR2112F, "Made in Japan".

I'm thinking I should probably take it off and get a dual LNB, circular and linear. As I understand it, the FTA LNB needs to be where the signal is strongest and I'm sure the current LNB is in that position.

Thats one of the old LNB's....so it looks like a dual, but it only outputs one polarity.

You can get a 2x4 multiswitch (like they use for directv) and combine those 2. Then you would have both polarities and could hook up 4 receivers :)

There isnt a LNB that does both linear and circular. You would need 2 LNB's.

There isnt a LNB that does both linear and circular. You would need 2 LNB's.

That's what I meant, I wasn't clear enough. What I'm thinking is to get two LNBs, one circular, one linear, put the linear (for FTA) in the center and attach the other next to it. Can I use the old LNB (which I assume is circular) or should I get both LNBs new?

I would sniff out a used DirecTV or Dishnetwork(legacy) single output LNB for the DBS side, and would get a new (low noise) KU LNBF for the main focal position. They are more or less giving away DBS single LNB's these days, flee markets and garage sales are a good place to find em!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts