grounding question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

robertjp

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 22, 2004
Upstate NY
I am putting a copper 5/8" grounding rod in for my new install and was wondering how deep in the ground it should be and how far away from the dish is acceptable? Thanks BP

The best thing to do is to install near the electric power and use the #6 copper from the gound to the meter. The copper ground rod is no longer acceptable and use only 10 gauge ground wire or bigger,,,

I am putting a copper 5/8" grounding rod in for my new install and was wondering how deep in the ground it should be and how far away from the dish is acceptable? Thanks BP

If your local code permits it that way - I've always used an 8' rod and sunk it in to about 2" or so left - grounded to that - and never had an issue (used for dish ground only).

I'm not a spark chaser, but it has worked.

EDIT: I usually put where I can, generally no closer that 3' and no further than 12'

Last edited:
NEC says (last time i checked) it must be bonded to the house utility ground within 20' for it to be an acceptable ground for a DBS system, hope this helps... (your local codes take priority if they are specific)

Guys this is for a remote cabin and there is no electric box or wire or anything. Its a grounding rod or nothing. Should it be closer to the dish or the reciever? also what gauge copper wire? Thanks much.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)