grounding questions

Pur Pony

Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
I have been searching and reading around the net and this site about grounding my dish.... but I have a question....

I just recently purchased a colonial house and had to install my dish at the very peak so its extremely high up to clear some trees. I also had to mount it on the opposite side of the house ground. The ground wire would have to run through my attic and would have to be around 90 ft long.

I would like to run it through the attic so I dont have to run it down the side of my house and attach it to a seperate ground (if I have to already run a wire from a seperate ground to the house ground.).....

Is a 90-100ft ground cable running through my attic ok?? And would I want to use #8 coated copper wire for this?

I also have a ground block mounted in the attic for the coax. Can I run the ground wire from the dish mast to the coax ground block? and then from the coax ground block to the house ground???? so its one single wire or do I have to run two seperate ground wires??

thanks so much!!!

Just a short note, to give you some ideas.

1. Go to www.MikeHolt.com and realize that this is the largest "NEC" Electrical Grounding/Bonding site on the Web...

2. Find an Electrician in your local area, and have him advise you.

3. The NEC states that you cannot run more than 20 feet from the mast to the Grounding Point.

4. The NEC also states, that you have to have two separate contact points... One for the mast, and one for the Coaxial Cable/Ground Block.

However, if your local Electrician checks out the conditions, and grounds the system according to Local regulations, you will probably be protected properly, with his oversite...

I don't know your area, but in Texas, most newest home that has a ground wire at the attic if all those water heater, and A/C at the attic, you can easy to loacte and bond the ground wire from ground block to them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)