Grrrr...trying to install a dish and there's a house in the way

Status
Please reply by conversation.

SpiffWilkie

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 16, 2008
Memphis, TN
I moved several months ago and haven't put the dish back up. I went to do it tonight and decided to use the mounting place that the Dish antenna used. It has a nice sturdy mount on the side of the house, just below the roof. Wellll, I neglected to notice that my 36" doesn't have enough clearance (by about 2"). If I mount it there, I'll only be able to get 91 w (maybe) and everything else further west. While that's 95% of what I normally watch, I need those other birds!
Looks like it's time to mount it on the chimney...:mad:

The green marker is where the dish is and my true south is 89w

attachment.php

Stupid House.jpg

Yeah, have a larger pole from a hughesnet dish I can probably use. I'm just frustrated because I waited right before football season to set the dish up. I need my college football fix!! :D

Jack up and move the other house. :)

What I find funny is my FTA dish, when I had it, was pointed directly at our neighbor's house but since it was offset dish, the signal comes from above it. It still looked like we had a dish pointed directly at their bathroom window.

I think I might have learned something today! Someone posted about locating BUDs using Google Earth; next time I think I'll shop for a house using Google earth to eliminate LOS issues befor going to see it!
ss

I feel your pain...

We live in a house with an east facing backyard. Had my dish mounted on the south side roof except everytime it was windy and moved the branches on a neighbours tree, I would lose RTV. So I moved the dish to a southeast corner and now get PBS to the west but lost the So.Car. P.I channels. There is no way my wife would let me mount it higher or closer to the front yard. Already have have three dishes up for DN and SD.

This is a hobby right?

Steve

I actually just moved it onto the roof yesterday. We're due for a new one soon, so the wife didn't seem to mind (not that I asked :angel: ). As long as I get it all set up by tomorrow (FOOTBALL!!!!!) I will be in good shape.

I think I might have learned something today! Someone posted about locating BUDs using Google Earth; next time I think I'll shop for a house using Google earth to eliminate LOS issues befor going to see it!
ss

You know, I did that when looking for houses. However, this one was a foreclosure and too good of a deal to pass up. Even though it meant giving up my BUD (for some reason, my wife doesn't want one in the front yard), I'm glad I can at least stick a few small dishes up.

I ended up putting it on the house right where the green marker is. I actually am able to get everything I've tried so far (72w to 125w).

:up :up :up

Absolutely! The install was a piece of cake since the dish was already mounted on the motor (from my last house). After I got the pole up, I put it on the pole. Swung it around for 30 seconds and had an awesome lock on 89w. Easiest install ever.

Jack up and move the other house. :)

What I find funny is my FTA dish, when I had it, was pointed directly at our neighbor's house but since it was offset dish, the signal comes from above it. It still looked like we had a dish pointed directly at their bathroom window.

same with mine....mine looks like its aimed into my neighbours wall....the signal is always coming in at a much steeper angle than you think (when using offset dishes)..

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)