Guide Info Stinks!

AIsmail

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 25, 2005
Stewartsville, NJ
The new programming info in the guide is horrible. From the choice in images to the content, its no improvement. Regarding program info, what should be a simple synopsis often gives away too much and some of the cast information is lacking. Case in point, they somehow managed to omit Mr. T as a cast member on the A-Team and yet they display actors who aren't even in the episode. The pics are terribly dated in some cases and the change over messed up a majority of my timers. Not sure how many nickels Dish is saving by the switch but its totally not worth it.

Reactions: dennispap
My biggest issue with the new guide data is some of my times no longer get work and I needed to recreate the timer. Both timers have the same exact info including G title but one has new icon and the one that no longer works either has dish logo or channel logo as artwork. It passed me off because I didn't catch it until I missed a few recordings.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk

It just took me 3 days to fix one timer, or it would let me fix it and the info in the guide is wrong or new programs are not marked "new". So if it ever gets "corrected" the timer will fail again. Am in the process of checking all timers now to see what is being missed. Have found that looking at the "picture" as a whole, things look correct. But if you dissect it, the pieces don't make sense. Which is why timers are failing. Also all PrimeTime recordings are gone. Tons of dark brown icons on programs that had perfectly good icons. Episode numbers in mixed formats, i.e., E only that is number that makes no sense that were S, E. Generic info, 1-2 lines, in recordings that had perfectly good and accurate info when recorded. The whole thing is turning into a crap shoot and getting old.

So what to ask now? When will this be fixed; will it be fixed; what do we do until it gets fixed . . . how about prorated refunds for all the programming that we are missing?! DISH is not making it hard to "cut the cord".

Reactions: Jim S. and pattykay
Interesting..No wonder I have found that some movies I had marked to record, were not marked a few hours before the time was to record them. I had to remark those. Also some news programs that are recorded record two times. I guess I will have to check the timers often now to catch any problem.

In looking for problems, I found several duplicate timers made because the programming was not appearing and neither had programming behind them and there should be. I'm realizing that there are a lot of missed episodes. But then with the way the numbers are getting all screwed up, it's hard to keep track. I thought I was losing it with things jumping all over. No. Have good excuse to now. Also I have noticed that programs are erasing themselves and some that I erased manually are coming back on their own. And with a new 4K set, I am seeing a marked difference in PQ between Offair (great), Streaming (great also, siding to incredible), DISH OTA (really good), DISH (horrible). I hope what I have read about the H3 having better PQ is right. Fingers Crossed.

If you guys think you are missing episodes that SHOULD have recorded but didn't, you can always go up to imdb.com, find the show, and look at the air dates to make sure.

If you guys think you are missing episodes that SHOULD have recorded but didn't, you can always go up to imdb.com, find the show, and look at the air dates to make sure.

That one source I use. But sometimes their data is not complete or has caught up to the episode that you are looking for. But just looking at episode numbers in the "recorded programs" area, if the nomenclature or date sequence is consistent, you can see right where the holes are.

My biggest issue with the new guide data is some of my times no longer get work and I needed to recreate the timer. Both timers have the same exact info including G title but one has new icon and the one that no longer works either has dish logo or channel logo as artwork. It passed me off because I didn't catch it until I missed a few recordings.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk
We have OFFICIALLY been told to delete the non-working timers and create new one. That's Dish's solution!

I will add that more than a few of the INFO descriptions include SPOILERS, which under Gracenote were often avoided. And, Rovi, just tell me it is a "Horror-Comedy" not an "Exhilarating Horror-Comedy" nor dare to use the term " . . . in this hilarious laugh a minute comedy. And then after such glowing text, the movie is only rated 1 or 2 stars. I remember the movie Starship Troopers was given 3 stars under Tribune/Gracenote, but Rovi only gives it 2 stars. The original Starship Troopers is worthy of 3 stars, and had mostly good to very good reviews at the time it was released.

I also remember a description for one of the 1980's Star Trek movies (Search for Spock, I think) being described in general terms like, "A captain of a space ship must retrieve the body of his friend before it is too late to transfer his [I can't remember] which has been stored in [I can't remember this either]. But you get the point. It like describing Star Wars as, "A young adventurer, a swash bucking smuggler, a fairy princess, and a walking carpet must stop an evil governor's plan to destroy planets." And probably given 2 stars. :).

EPG is MESSED UP and way too many in-house made thumbnails/artwork that are ugly, don't sufficiently relate to the content and are difficult to either read or make a connection to the content.

Does this sound like a baseball game description?

Does this sound like baseball.jpg

Rovi is one of the reasons I switched from Tivo to DirecTV in the first place. It is sad to see Dish customers suffering as well. I wonder who Sling uses? Will this affect their new DVR service as well?

Even re-setting some timers some episodes will record and others won't. In one instance there was no description other than "New"

This is getting out of hand. My wife is ready to pay the ETF over this if it isn't resolved...

Reactions: gregleg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts