Guide : My Channels

gizbug

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
Chicago, IL
Every time I bring up the guide, it defaults to my Channels. I would like to make a favorites list, but read that this will never default when bring up the guide (so I have not made any list). Is there plans for this to be fixed? Also, why is "My Channels" default and not "My HD Channels" I don't watch anything in SD, and wish AT LEAST "MY HD Channels" was default if they wont make my list favorite.

It has been alleged that Dish did this intentionally because they were annoyed by people calling the support lines looking for missing channels, and it was just due to being on the wrong list.

This 'solution' however does more to annoy the users then it solves problems. (I would posit that anyone who knows enough to go in and configure a custom list, is PROBABLY smart enough to check the list before complaining about missing channels to Dish...)

Perhaps we should start calling the tech support lines and asking them to troubleshoot why our custom channel lists won't stick. If they get enough calls about it maybe they will be 'annoyed' into restoring our ability to save list settings.

I had a 522 for years and the lists always stayed where I left them. I had a 922 for about 2 years and it would randomly leave the list settings alone and randomly reset it (I think the intention is to always reset it, but like everything else in the 922, that function is too buggy to work reliably). The Hopper seems to be pretty consistent about resetting it on every reboot.

It has been alleged that Dish did this intentionally because they were annoyed by people calling the support lines looking for missing channels, and it was just due to being on the wrong list.

This 'solution' however does more to annoy the users then it solves problems. (I would posit that anyone who knows enough to go in and configure a custom list, is PROBABLY smart enough to check the list before complaining about missing channels to Dish...)

Perhaps we should start calling the tech support lines and asking them to troubleshoot why our custom channel lists won't stick. If they get enough calls about it maybe they will be 'annoyed' into restoring our ability to save list settings.

I had a 522 for years and the lists always stayed where I left them. I had a 922 for about 2 years and it would randomly leave the list settings alone and randomly reset it (I think the intention is to always reset it, but like everything else in the 922, that function is too buggy to work reliably). The Hopper seems to be pretty consistent about resetting it on every reboot.
+1

Its annoying!!!!!!!!!

There should not be any reason I can't set a default guide view like that, period. Stupid stupid move by Dish, regardless of their excuse.

Every time I bring up the guide, it defaults to my Channels. I would like to make a favorites list, but read that this will never default when bring up the guide (so I have not made any list).

Just to clear something up, if you create a custom favorites list and select that in the guide then it will continue to default to your guide. I believe the default resets back to "my channels" after the nightly/AM update. Then it's just a matter of selecting you favorites list once again for the day for it to default back to your list. It is a bit of an inconvenience but not a biggie. It would be nice if you could "lock in " the default guide permanently.

I disagree with "not a biggie". Sure, its an easy fix, EVERY freaking day, but its one of those moves (Directv has done several with their DVR's) that are just plain ignorant.

I agree, it is annoying. It should be easy enough to write software making it a selectable preference in the settings menu...

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

It is one of my two big annoyances with the Hopper, that and the nightly reboot. It has actually made me not recommend the Hopper to friends.

Same complaints have been made since a software update a couple of years ago on the 722, As previously stated, all the complaining may not go anywhere if Dish has decided it easier to deal with a few complainers than deal with the people who would think they had lost channels if the list defaulted to another person in the household's.

I am glad to hear it not just my 722 that does this,it always defaults to my channels,which isnt that big of a deal,but Dish has A pay per view advert show up at bottom of guide ,it will disappear if you press guide once but will reappear everytime you bring up guide,very annoying.Setting my favorites list isnt useful as receiver always defaults back to my Channels not fav list.

Also one other problem I cant get around.I have tried to remove adult list program guide(dont want kids seeing even the titles)When all channels is brought up they show up even though I have set receiver not to.I cant figure out what I am doing wrong to not get it to Hide those channels.(luckily it only information and not auctuall programming showing up)..Went thru steps to Hide today and it still wont work.

I am glad to hear it not just my 722 that does this,it always defaults to my channels,which isnt that big of a deal,but Dish has A pay per view advert show up at bottom of guide ,it will disappear if you press guide once but will reappear everytime you bring up guide,very annoying.Setting my favorites list isnt useful as receiver always defaults back to my Channels not fav list.

That sounds like the TV Enhancements feature. Go to Menu > System Setup > Installation > TV Enhancements. If it shows 'Enabled', change it to 'Disable' that, and the box in your guide will go away.

Also one other problem I cant get around.I have tried to remove adult list program guide(dont want kids seeing even the titles)When all channels is brought up they show up even though I have set receiver not to.I cant figure out what I am doing wrong to not get it to Hide those channels.(luckily it only information and not auctuall programming showing up)..Went thru steps to Hide today and it still wont work.

Confirm the receiver is indeed locked for me. Does 3 say 'Unlock System'? Also, in the locks menu, did you choose 'Hide Adult' and 'Hide Locked'? If so, can you try locking a specific channel that you see and check if it gets hidden? If not, try re-setting the receiver.

There is a setting to turn that off. Think you have to go into the settings for the guide and turn it off. Since I don't have the 722 anymore, I can't give you the exacr steps. But it can be done. I did it.

For me the adult channels are hidden by pressing: Menu> Settings> Parental controls - If system is already locked enter passcode if not select Yes in the "Hide Adult Channels" section then save. You will be prompted to enter a 4 digit passcode if you haven't before. This eliminates the adult channels/titles from showing in all the guides.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)