H-180 for BUD

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I have a 12' Unimesh on an AJAK180. The AJAKs are long out of production but can be found here and there.

Don't think it would handle a fiberglass dish of that size though.

No way would an Ajak handle a 12' fiberglass dish normally. Maybe you could do it with a properly-placed heavy counterweight, hanging centered, and way out the back of the dish, but that's not newbie stuff.

Then, you'd also have to build a heavy enough ring mount to fit the dish. That wouldn't be cheap, as it would have to be very strongly welded.

Reactions: fred555
Well NewBie I am not,, I installed my first TVRO Kaul in 92! I done a lot of DVB DTH in the late 90's and have been out of the game since early 2000's ... I have been having the itch to search the sky.. So I am setting up a new rig and wanted to go H to H.. I have a line on a few 12' dishes one is solid and one is mesh.. If I had no choice I could use the mesh, Plans are to go C/Ku so I would need to replace the mesh with 2mm panels..

I did quite a bit of searching and could not find a H-H setup.. At one point I remember a real long actuator it was 30 something inches,, They called it the skyjack or hijack I don't recall the exact name.. it supported quite a bit of load too.. I guess I will be off on a quest for something of that sort.. Skyvision has a 52" but I think that will just be way to long.. Its been a while that I messed with a BUD but I think the low 40's would be the max travel for a actuator on a 12 footer...

I will know for sure Saturday as I am going to pick up the mesh dish..

36" standard actuators are readily available to the larger dishes, such as the 12 ft fiberglass.

I would highly suggest the "ball-screw" version, over the Acme: http://www.venturemfgco.com/maxi-ball-screw-actuator. Let them know you want a 36" version. Pricy, but they'll last forever if you take care of them.

They haven't made any Ajak HH180 (heaviest duty model) mounts for almost 20 years now. They were made in Colorado, and that's where most of them can still be found. If you are lucky enough to get one, it'll most likely have to be rebuilt, and then modified for your specific dish. The back ring mounts were different to properly mate to each dish model they were available for. Standard linear actuators were probably installed at least 100:1 over Ajak mounts.

So they were rare to start with, and are even rarer now.

My first system was from Radio Shack and the antenna was an 8 footer with an HH mount. I wish they still made such mounts at a price I can afford.

I have a buddy of mine that works for John Deer he is a Mechanical Engineer for the plant here in Louisiana. I just found a video of a working Paraclipse H-H Chain Drive unit on youtube.

He is sure he can make the mechanical parts.. He has cut some amazing things from metal!! I am not sure if you can see his facebook videos but here is a link "link Removed" to a engine he built with all an custom accessory drive.. He lowered the accessories so that you could see more of the top of the motor to show off the dual TBI's he modified to look like carburetors!

If any one can dig up some more photos or videos for me to pass to him I would greatly appreciate it..

The only thing is I recall the H-H mount I seen nearly 20 years ago had a second actuator connected to the dish subframe and was used a declination fine tune adjustment. I think I remember the sales engineer saying something about the polarization servo needing fine tune adjustment also.. Any one have input on this to clear my memory up?

Does any one know if replacement motors available for the Paraclipse units? It would suck to have to build a motor setup also, could be a costly project..

Edited to remove facebook link as it did not display..

I just found a video of a working Paraclipse H-H Chain Drive unit on youtube. If any one can dig up some more photos or videos for me to pass to him I would greatly appreciate it..
Does any one know if replacement motors available for the Paraclipse units? It would suck to have to build a motor setup also, could be a costly project..
hi samuelrock :) ha ha you found the video of my motor. I have some more photos of it for you. I'm currently installing a 10 foot perforated dish on it in my backyard. I have refurbed some of the parts. It was purchased off kijiji which is a Canadian version of Craigslist. It was installed with a Paraclipse dish on top of a 20 foot pole above someones house. It therefore had never been serviced I believe. So the drive ring chain had seized and the drive ring had seized onto the pivot shafts so it wouldn't turn at all. After some careful "persuasion" I managed to get it unstuck. The drive chain is a simple length of motorcycle chain. It is an earlier version of the Paraclipse chain drive unit with the Von-Wiese motor and von-wise gearbox. The later versions had a Venture motor and a CD-Sipco gearbox.
I upgraded the gearbox to put in a grease nipple and replaced the grease with low temp grease for our Canadian winters. Sadly the Von-Wiese motor is not the same version as the ones used on their satellite linear actuators. Its actually a 1/10hp unit whereas the linear motor is a 1/19hp unit. I asked Von-Wiese if replacement parts were available cause I wanted to upgrade it but they replied that "replacement parts are no longer available". I don't have any drawings with dimensions just the user manual for the dishes and accessories. Search the forum here for Paraclipse for more info. Anyway to make a short story long .... good luck in you search for a H-H unit. IMG_1605.JPG IMG_1465.JPG WP_20150823_002.jpg WP_20150823_003.jpg WP_20150823_004.jpg WP_20150823_009.jpg WP_20150921_001.jpg WP_20150921_005.jpg WP_20150923_005.jpg

Reactions: martin-f
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)