H-180 Mount for BUD II Project

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

ECruzBUD

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
SEATTLE, WA.
Hi Folks,:eek:
This is Eugene with another C-band BIG DISH issue.

The BUD II Project....

I do have a AJAX H-180 gear motor for a 10 foot mesh dish antenna.
However, I do NOT have the mount ring for the AJAX H-180 gear motor mount.
The only way to make one, is either IF anyone that has AJAX
H-180 ring mount who would be willing to draw a picture of
the ring mount for AJAX H-180.
Or I do have a spare ring mount, BUT it's for the Pro Form H-180 gear motor.
There's the difference between the 2 models. The AJAX H-180 mount is the OLDEST model, and the ProForm H-180 mount is newer after that.

So, I am thinking taking the ProForm H-180 ring mount to the local welder place, and have them copy it for using it with the AJAX H-180 gear motor.
It's a challenging. But I know what you're thinking.... Some of you might say,
"You gotta have the right ring mount for the right H-180 gear motor."
Although, as you know the H-180 ring mount is an A/ZE mount.

So, the only choice I have right now is to copy the Proform H-180 ring mount to use it with the AJAX H-180 gear motor with the 10 foot mesh dish antenna.
The extra 10 foot mesh dish antenna looks like KTI dish, but it's made by "Universal" brand name. That's OKAY, as long the mesh dish is the same.

Or IF anyone in the form who has or had a ring mount for AJAX H-180 gear motor, I would like to ask for a drawing of that ring mount for the welder to make one.
IF so, you could send me the attachment of the drawing.

The challenge thing for copying the ProForm H-180 ring mount for using with the AJAX H-180 gear motor, is that on the duplicate ring mount, the bar for the declination bolt, would have to be 1 3/4 inch higher. Because I predicted on how the AJAX H-180 gear motor would be in-place with the ProForm H-180 ring mount.

My 21 years old nephew believed what would be like if we
were to have it setup.

On the PDF attachment, you'll see the drawing that my nephew predicted.
But I think IF I can get the drawing of the AJAX H-180 ring mount from any of you.

Review my attachment of photos and the drawing, and see IF you can come up with on a ring mount for the AJAX H-180 gear motor.

NOTE, some places, like I went to on Tuesday May 13th, a welding place with my Proform H-180 ring mount. The two gentlemen looked and over view my Proform H-180 ring mount. They told me that they couldn't do it. Because the ring mount has thick steel, and that their machine doesn't bend, or cannot make a round shape. So, I came back home with my Proform H-180 ring mount.

When having the welder copy the ring mount, you also have to know that the copy of the ring mount have to be the exact same weight and ounces. Otherwise, your 10 foot mesh dish could collapse!!!!

So, anyone here has the drawing of the ring mount for the AJAX H-180 gear motor??? It would be kind of like a "BLUE PRINT" for the welder to make. But it's the challenging.

Hope my inquiry helps for answers.

Enclosed is PDF attachment of photos and drawing.
Download it and view it. :)

What do you think???;)

Thanks for stoping by to read my post.
:)

Attachments

• BUD II Project.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 317
Some pictures of the ring that belongs on that. The holes are for setting declination 4°~8° . Those match up to the top of the AJAK mount.

Attachments

• AJAK 002.JPG
    AJAK 002.JPG
    948.7 KB · Views: 322
  • AJAK 004.JPG
    AJAK 004.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 305
  • pole 011.JPG
    pole 011.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 313
Last edited:
I would take the Proform ring and weld the tab on the bottom for the lower polar mount and then take angle iron and create the top mounting crossbar with the declination holes. When supported by the mounting holes in picture three, you can read the different declination adjustments. So now you have an angle to help you place the angle iron into the round ring correctly. Picture three shows the ring supported by the 4° holes. the angle finder is reading 3.8°
I have another AJAK with the same basic ring but different dish attaching points.
Pictures in this thread..http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/311276-10-CM-Perf-on-AJAK-H180
Also an AJAK in this thread..http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/247423-9-foot-mesh-dish-Livingston-Montana/page5

Last edited:
Elevation bolt for C-band BUD II Project

Hi Folks,

A simple question for my BUD II project.

I would like to know how long is the elevation
bolt with threads, for the 10 foot mesh BUD???
How long should it be???

Is there any place that I could get one???
Would LOWES or Home Depot has one????

Let me know.
Thanks for reading my post.:cool:

To keep this easier, more organized we should move this thread to your original post. But here is a pic showing the elevation bolt for the mount you have. You can't buy one, but it's simple to weld together one.
CMperf 014.JPG

Well, they are all different, so you'll have to figure out how long yours needs to be.
Being you're about the same Latitude as me my dish is tipped about 49 degrees. Yours should tip about the same. Have someone hold it while you measure, or prop it up, and measure. Leave enough extra length to affix nuts and adjust it 10 degrees (+) and you should be 'good to go'.
Would Lowes or Home Depot? Quite probably. Take a picture of the mount to see it and post them. Sure you'll get some feedback

OK. Now I know what you're 'up against'. Cut it off short, close to the "T". Then use a coupling nut and replace the 'missing' portion with "all thread" (threaded rod).
Use Permanent Loctite on the coupling nut, or get it welded(?).

Hi,
I wold like to make it clear.... I'm refering to an elevation bolt
that's long with a thread, and some are gold and other in
silver. And when I had one with the AJAX H-180 mount,
either it was gold or silver elevation bolt came just stand alone.
And yes it does attach onto the mount, once you put it together.
So, on the AJAX manual, it says....

"One threaded elevation adjusting rod, No. 213717"

Got it???
:cool:

Merged your two threads on the elevation bolt into one. This will help everyone follow your project better, to offer better advice. :)

That elevation bolt is a common 3/4" concrete anchor bolt. You can buy those at a concrete or block supply co. Maybe even at some hardware stores that carry masonry supplies.

GOSH

I wish that you guys could help.

I don't have any luck with or finding the right welder to
copy my mount for a cheaper price.

I took my ProFomr H-180 mount to a welding place in
Kent, Washington. ( Where all warehousing welding places
makes a fortune!!! ) with the drawing of additional brackets
for the copy of the H-180 mount.

They wanted to evaluate my H-180 mount and my drawing,
on what can be done and what would the estimate would be.

As the result with this one place, to copy my Proform H-180 mount,
with 4 additional brackets for single frames on the BUD, the quote is
$975.59 / $1,068.27 with tax!!!! $92.68 in taxes.

I told them, "Hey, when I bought both the Proform H-180 mount and the
gear motor, it was $300 including shipping as a complete packet!!!"

The sale person of the welding place told me "Unfortunately it made from
scratch, so it's the full process of assembly from start to end. So the price
reflect that."

Mu 21 year old nephew told me "That's the rip-off!!! They're trying to make
money out of it."
He's hoping to find a cheaper
welding place for anywhere
between $75 to $200.

Besides, the sale person and the welder aren't familiar with KT's mount, as well.
So, they wanted to make a
rip-off quote.
Their machine can make thicker metal and can bend metal.

I including the attachment of the quote from this welder place, for you to view
it. And as you can imagine, the quote is a rip-off.

So, I decided to NOT have them to do the process, and I picked up my
Proform H-180 mount, back. With NO extra charge.

Does anyone here have a mount with 4 additional brackets for the single
frames on the BUD, with 4 other larger brackets for double frames on the BUD,
that I could use????

I don't think I have any luck in finding a cheaper welder that can be made.

Thought to let you know, if you ever wonder about my BUD II project.

This is rediculous!!!

Thanks.

Attachments

• QTQ312469.pdf
    26.1 KB · Views: 255
That elevation bolt is a common 3/4" concrete anchor bolt. You can buy those at a concrete or block supply co. Maybe even at some hardware stores that carry masonry supplies.

Hi Pil,

How much weight is the 3/4" concrete anchor bult????
It's about 10incheslong...
This would go with the H-180 mount with great motor.
Would it be 5 to 10 pounds????

Thanks, and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

EC, look in more rural areas for machine/welding shops. They will likely do a better job and charge a lot less. My favourite machine shop is an hour drive away but thay can fabricate just about anything for less than "new" price. Too bad they are too far away for you... but for a G-note it might be worth the trip!

Maybe you can make the ring square instead of round, would make it much easier to make. I don't have one of those dishes, so I don't know for sure if it would work, but looking at Magics pictures it seems like it should be doable. The only consideration would be strength, one round piece would probably be stronger than a welded square. That quote does sound high, I would think around $400 or so for something like that.

Hi Folks,:eek:
This is Eugene with another C-band BIG DISH issue.

The BUD II Project....

I do have a AJAX H-180 gear motor for a 10 foot mesh dish antenna.
However, I do NOT have the mount ring for the AJAX H-180 gear motor mount.
The only way to make one, is either IF anyone that has AJAX
H-180 ring mount who would be willing to draw a picture of
the ring mount for AJAX H-180.
Or I do have a spare ring mount, BUT it's for the Pro Form H-180 gear motor.
There's the difference between the 2 models. The AJAX H-180 mount is the OLDEST model, and the ProForm H-180 mount is newer after that.

So, I am thinking taking the ProForm H-180 ring mount to the local welder place, and have them copy it for using it with the AJAX H-180 gear motor.
It's a challenging. But I know what you're thinking.... Some of you might say,
"You gotta have the right ring mount for the right H-180 gear motor."
Although, as you know the H-180 ring mount is an A/ZE mount.

So, the only choice I have right now is to copy the Proform H-180 ring mount to use it with the AJAX H-180 gear motor with the 10 foot mesh dish antenna.
The extra 10 foot mesh dish antenna looks like KTI dish, but it's made by "Universal" brand name. That's OKAY, as long the mesh dish is the same.

Or IF anyone in the form who has or had a ring mount for AJAX H-180 gear motor, I would like to ask for a drawing of that ring mount for the welder to make one.
IF so, you could send me the attachment of the drawing.

The challenge thing for copying the ProForm H-180 ring mount for using with the AJAX H-180 gear motor, is that on the duplicate ring mount, the bar for the declination bolt, would have to be 1 3/4 inch higher. Because I predicted on how the AJAX H-180 gear motor would be in-place with the ProForm H-180 ring mount.

My 21 years old nephew believed what would be like if we
were to have it setup.

On the PDF attachment, you'll see the drawing that my nephew predicted.
But I think IF I can get the drawing of the AJAX H-180 ring mount from any of you.

Review my attachment of photos and the drawing, and see IF you can come up with on a ring mount for the AJAX H-180 gear motor.

NOTE, some places, like I went to on Tuesday May 13th, a welding place with my Proform H-180 ring mount. The two gentlemen looked and over view my Proform H-180 ring mount. They told me that they couldn't do it. Because the ring mount has thick steel, and that their machine doesn't bend, or cannot make a round shape. So, I came back home with my Proform H-180 ring mount.

When having the welder copy the ring mount, you also have to know that the copy of the ring mount have to be the exact same weight and ounces. Otherwise, your 10 foot mesh dish could collapse!!!!

So, anyone here has the drawing of the ring mount for the AJAX H-180 gear motor??? It would be kind of like a "BLUE PRINT" for the welder to make. But it's the challenging.

Hope my inquiry helps for answers.

Enclosed is PDF attachment of photos and drawing.
Download it and view it. :)

What do you think???;)

Thanks for stoping by to read my post.
I think I can help you out. I've got a KTI mount ring with a complete as far as I know working Ajax h to h mount(motor and gear box where checked no receiver to check the stops and rotation counter(don't remember the correct name)). Mount has been setting in the garage for 7 years. Please let me know if interested.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)