H20 Issue?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

emu1

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 24, 2006
Alabama
I recently switched from E* to D*. I have the H20 receiver. I'm no expert, but I beleive my HD channels aren't as clear as they were with E*. When the image is still such as zoomed on an actor who is still, everything looks great. But on any fast moving images such as sports the image is grainy or has artifacts in it. I have gone though my TV settings using Avia calabration DVD without much improvement. I was just wondering if anyone else had this issue and if it could be I have a bad H20. Any suggestion on how to improve my picture? I have a hard time beleive D* picture quality is less then E*. But right now it seems to be.

Don't know what E* broadcasts HD as, but D* downconverts all 1920x1080i channels to 1280x1080i to conserve bandwidth and cram more channels on a transponder. On still images, it still looks pretty good, but when there's motion, the bandwidth is starved and blurriness & pixelization show up in place of the missing data.

I'm shocked Vurbano hasn't replied yet. :p

PQ opinion is extremely relative, but I think what you're looking at is D*'s downrezzing of the HD signal. Meaning "true" HD is 1920x1080i and D*'s is 1280x1080i. Basically they're trying to cram too many channels into the transponder space they have. That should change with the launch of D10 and D11, both in 2007.

So it has nothing to do with the H20? And isn't E* doing the same thing? If so, why is it more noticeable with D*?

It has nothing to do with the H20. In fact, the picture quality is better on the H20 than any previous D* HD STBs.
It's still "HD Lite" though...

Can't comment on E* myself.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts